CVE-2022-26236: Normand Remisol Advance Launcher
Oct 1st, 2022 (edited)
- CVE-2022-26236: Normand Remisol Advance Launcher
- A vulnerability was discovered in the Remisol Advance v126.96.36.199 and below for the Normand Remisol Advance Launcher. On installation, the permissions set by Remisol Advance allow non-privileged users to overwrite and/or manipulate executables and libraries that run as the elevated SYSTEM user on Windows.
- To recreate the conditions for exploitation, do the following;
- Step 1: Obtain low-level permission to a workstation (these workstations are usually protected with a weak password, a default vendor password, or no password).
- Step 2: Replace the message server service executable (LauncherService.exe or any associated library used with the service) with a malicious or PoC binary. Note: This service and its executable may be named something else in different regions; please check the services installed in Windows.
- Step 3: Restart the machine or service, whichever is more accessible.
- Step 4: Your binary will be started as the SYSTEM/NT Authority user.
- The fix is simple: correct the permissions so that every user cannot overwrite the services and make themselves a super admin on the local Windows host.
Please, Sign In to add comment