- Should've probably paid attention to calculus class instead of writing this.
- You woke up with a groan. Your eyes darted to a digital clock on the wall, it’s 1:05. The closest alarm set would ring at least five hours from now. You flipped your pillow, resting your head on the cooler, more comfortable side. You almost went back to a deep slumber when you wondered what woke you up in the first place.
- The ringing of your phone and the vibration of metal hitting wooden desk pulled you straight form the dream world. You pulled the blanket over your head before remembering that only one person’s call was assigned a simple ring as the ringtone on your phone, Rushia. You reluctantly rose from your 90$ bed, took your time to drink a glass of water, and counted to 30 before pulling of the charger cable to answer the call. You were about to say the usual “Hello” when a loud scream quickly interrupted you, though not as quick as your finger pressing the volume down button.
- “ARE YOU CHEATING ON ME!?”
- A scream blared from the speaker hole, the scream was less of anger and was more of sadness or frustration, almost like the caller would break into tears at any time. You didn’t say a word. Your finger pulled on the collar of your shirt that was sticking because of sweat. The very same shirt you wore when you went on a date to the amusement part with Rushia this evening, brought her back to her place at 9, and arrived at your apartment at 10, crashing into your bed with not even a thought about changing your clothes.
- “WHY DID YOU NOT ANSWER MY CALL IMMEDIATELY? BUSY TEXTING ANOTHER GIRL? YOU DON’T EVEN CARE ABOUT MY ANYMORE, RIGHT? YOU …y-you…”
- Rushia’s voice slowly faded as she broke to tears, this girl was never good at talking when she’s crying. Now the only sounds coming form the phone were faint sobs and shuddering breaths that wouldn’t seem to end anytime soon. You put the phone on your work desk and opened your laptop, connected it to the apartment wifi, and clicked on a pinned application on the taskbar. A blue line circled on your screen and you let out a sigh. You should probably consider moving to somewhere with better internet connection. You reached for your phone, put it close to your mouth, not wanting to wake up the neighbours, and said your first line in this call.
- “Rushia, you’re having another bad dream?”
- The sobbing gets louder, but you could imagine that on the other end, Rushia weakly nodded and was gathering herself before speaking once again.
- “…I -I saw you, with Marine. At the park. You guys were holding hands and she was all over you, she took your shirt off and…”
- Her voice grew ever fainter, trying to not mess the words up with her incessant sobbing, but clearly failed. You furrowed your brow. Marine? Marine who? You don’t even know anyone with such a weird name. Ah. You remembered that one time Rushia said that this Marine girl took her back home when her bike suddenly broke down and you were not in town. Probably one of her coworker that somehow got into her dream and stole you from her.
- “That was just a dream, right?”
- There was barely an answer, just a small hum that probably meant ‘Yes’.
- “All that just a dream, right?”
- “It’s 1AM, and you woke me up screaming just because of a dream.”
- “Anon…, don’t be mad, okay? I’m sorry. I’m really sorry. I swear I will make it up to-”
- You cut the call off. Your phone rang once again, displaying ‘Dear Rushia’ as the caller’s name. You didn’t even bother giving her hope by letting it ring and rejected the call immediately. It rang again, and you quickly swiped it down. It happened about five times before the calls finally stopped. The circling blue line on your laptop screen finally stopped and a footage of a dark room appeared. You put on the headset you spent half your monthly earning on and a faint, yet more aggressive sobs could be heard.
- “Anon… Anon I’m sorry…”
- You adjusted some sliders and were finally able to make it bright enough to see Rushia sitting on her bed, hands pulling on her hair. If she knew where to look she should’ve seen a red light blinking between the stuffed animals on her closet. Her face was a mess and you swore you could see strands of green falling on the quilt.
- “Stupid, stupid Rushia. Can’t even stop herself from bothering her boyfriend who took his time from work for a date. He probably hates Rushia now. Won’t even look at her anymore. Anon, Anon…”
- Rushia bowed her head down low, her hands pulling her hair even stronger. You didn’t miss your chance to click the record button and turned the volume all the way up before the thing. Yep. The thing.
- It was probably hell to her neighbours but it was music to your ears. You grinned from ear to ear and set the recording title to ‘RushiBreakdown_09’. You’d have to go to work at 7 but you’re not going to miss watching this live. Rushia will probably show up tomorrow at your work, apologizing profusely while wearing a long sleeved outfit to hide what she would do to herself soon, and you would hug her tight and tell her everything is okay, only for her to repeat this probably two weeks from now.
- You sure love being Rushia’s boyfriend.
RAW Paste Data Copied