Playing Giten Megami Tensei with Chiitrans in windowed mode
MEGATEN_ALBERT Sep 5th, 2016 (edited) 1,570 Never
Not a member of Pastebin yet? Sign Up, it unlocks many cool features!
- This guide is for those who would like to try the Windows version of Giten Megami Tensei.
- Here's what I did (I'm playing it on Windows 7):
- 1) Copy the contents of the CD to your hard drive (I used Daemon Tools for mounting the CD Image).
- 2) Download and install the bug fix patch. Extract the .exe file into "ddswin" directory and run it via AppLocale (browse for the patch.exe file and select 日本語) or Locale Emulator (run LEInstaller, install the program, and after that, right-click on the patch.exe file and select "Locale Emulator > Run in Japanese"). In the patch installation window, choose する options, adjust the Battle Wait slider (I've set it to 50; it has something to do with your CPU speed, so do some experimenting), and if you want to, check the DDS font flag to use the half-width font from the PC-98 version. Click on the lower-right button to apply the bug fixes.
- 3) Create a shortcut of dds.exe ("ddswin" folder). Right-click on the shortcut and select "Properties". Paste " NormalPlay ShowTitle Window" command at the end of the "Target" field.
- 4) Download DXWnd for running the game in windowed mode. Run dxwnd.exe, and drag-and-drop the dds.exe shortcut to the DXWnd window. Set the window size to 640x480.
- 5) Download Chiitrans Lite and run ChiitransLite.exe. If you want, you can add additional translators (I'm using ATLAS 14) to have more translation options, choose the font size, and other good stuff.
- 6) Browse for the dds.exe shortcut in Chiitrans and click on the "Connect" button. Select "Use Locale Emulator (Windows 7 and later only)".
- 7) When the game starts at the title screen, copy and paste Character Names from the pastebin below into the User Defined Names window in Chiitrans (Options > Parsing > Edit names).
- 8) Play the game!
- Note: Chiitrans might crash on a rare occasion. If that happens, you don't have to close your game and restart from the last save point. Just run ChiitransLite.exe, have dds.exe shortcut selected and click on the "Connect" button again while the game keeps running.
- Giten Megami Tensei (Windows version):
- Bug fix patch & Compendium program:
- AppLocale and Locale Emulator:
- DXWnd (download "Latest build"):
- Chiitrans Lite:
- ATLAS 14:
- Character Names for Chiitrans (click on the "raw" button, and while running Giten via Chiitrans+DXWnd, copy and paste those names into the User Defined Names window in Chiitrans (Options > Parsing > Edit names)):
- My setup, if you're still having trouble:
- Step-by-step walkthroughs, lists of Demons, Items, Magic, FAQs, etc:
- DB Test correct answers:
- PC-98 version playthrough:
- Story summary (with some interesting observations from the author):
- Some very informative and useful guides (maps, data, etc):
- Old Giten Remake Project website:
- Demon graphics:
- Some useful info (walkthrough, DB Test answers, etc):
- SMT-DDS.net (Giten threads):
- PepsimanGB's PC-98 version dump and manual scans:
- Von Ithipathachai's Giten LP thread and info docs:
- Translated manual:
RAW Paste Data