- Getting Soundfonts
- Q: Where do I start, where do I get soundfonts?
- A: Here's a large list of recommended soundfonts:
- SGM v2.01 is a good all-around soundfont, with nice guitars, bass, etc.
- AdLib-like soundfont that may break your eardrums on some songs. Not for metal.
- A nice emulation of the Yamaha YMF262 (AKA the OPL-3) audio. Simple and nice.
- Also an emulation soundfont, this one emulates the sound of a Sega Megadrive VERY well.
- Made to sound like a NES, and definitely gets the job done at that.
- Like SGM, it is also a good all-around soundfont. Recommended for beginners for its nice sound and small size.
- This is basically the Brutal Doom of soundfonts. It's loud and obnoxious but can sound nice at times.
- The ultimate in soundfonts. Kinda. It's what DOOM was composed on, but be warned this is still just an emulation.
- Arachno Soundfont is made for games. It generally sounds nice and should support many patches that are usually left out.
- Q: Alright, now how do I use these soundfonts?
- A: There are various midi devices that you can use. Here are the ones that work with ZDoom:
- Fluidsynth is recommended for beginners, just put this DLL in your ZDoom folder:
- and then type in the console 'fluid_patchset C:\full\path\to\the\soundfont.sf2' (without quotes) and change your
- midi device in the Sound Options to Fluidsynth, then press enter on "Restart sound"
- But if you're really into midi shit, you'll want to get the best of the best - BASSMIDI.
- It's simple as hell to set up and POWERFUL, made by the same guy who made several dozen foobar plugins.
- Step 1: Download BASSMIDI from the website (at the bottom there's a link labeled "Download BASSMIDI Driver")
- Step 2: Run setup
- Step 3: Go to start menu > All Programs > BASSMIDI System Synth and set up your soundfonts with the config
- And you're done. Set your midi driver to BASSMIDI Port A and you're good to go.
- You can also get Timidity4ZDoom, which is also aight:
- then edit your timidity.cfg to have the following in it:
- dir C:\full\path\to\the\soundfont\
- soundfont yoursoundfont.sf2
- Alternatively, (G)ZDoom also supports GUS patches. If you have Doom 3 BFG installed you can find a patch set in the Classic folder or you can download an official copy free here to use:
DOOM Soundfont Q&A
Faqqer Sep 14th, 2013 (edited) 2,783 Never
Not a member of Pastebin yet? Sign Up, it unlocks many cool features!
RAW Paste Data