Egon's Adventures in misslabled VMs
a guest May 22nd, 2018 88 Never
Not a member of Pastebin yet? Sign Up, it unlocks many cool features!
- Hi, I am Egon, I usually writhe to Coder Radio, hi Mike!
- But my trade is being a system administrator at a company that delivers and runs complex system for international customers.
- A few years ago I have put the mislabelling of things onto the next level and into the 21st century.
- The ESXi infrastructure in our company is shared infrastructure among all departments and teams. If you need something, simply order it and get billed internally at the end of the month. But as it inevitable goes with virtualisation, soon a long list of VMs and virtual networks are on the bill each month.
- Also inevitable controlling reminds us to keep costs down and management insists to reduce the virtual infrastructure costs to the bare minimum.
- The single biggest amount of my bill belonged to a VM with a very cryptic name. I had no idea what this machine was good for. After asking my teammates if anyone has an idea what this machine doses I decided to have this one deleted.
- A few weeks later I heard a colleague tell the story that one of his machines he used to give customers access to our demo system miraculously disappeared.
- It turned out that the machine was badly labelled and assigned to wrong cost centre for years.
- I am not 100% sure if I confessed there and then, but I since campaign for clear, consistent labelling of virtual infrastructure.
- I love the show and the new format.
RAW Paste Data