SHARE
TWEET

Diaspora Community Codechat, 03-15-2012

DeadSuperHero Mar 15th, 2012 132 Never
Not a member of Pastebin yet? Sign Up, it unlocks many cool features!
  1. Mar 15 11:59:17 <DeadSuperHero> We're going to wait about 4 minutes for people to trickle in, as per tradition.
  2. Mar 15 11:59:33 <msalzberg>     The good ole 3 mintue rule
  3. Mar 15 11:59:56 <SlackerD>      hi Dennis
  4. Mar 15 12:01:48 <denniscollective>      ahoy
  5. Mar 15 12:02:30 <msalzberg>     How's the weather over there
  6. Mar 15 12:02:35 <arkiver>       SlackerD, helllo !
  7. Mar 15 12:02:39 <DeadSuperHero> Surprisingly decent, msalzberg
  8. Mar 15 12:02:48 <DeadSuperHero> The sun is actually out.
  9. Mar 15 12:02:58 <msalzberg>     Who is all here? And who is actually just lurking?
  10. Mar 15 12:03:07 <DeadSuperHero> House of D*! Represent!
  11. Mar 15 12:04:07 <DeadSuperHero> arkiver, cha1tanya donnerkarlson jamielinux kn330 mathis_ n1x necromancer offSchub Pistos str4ngerz stwf_ syst3mw0rm zip4RAND , we're about ready to begin, within the next minute or so.
  12. Mar 15 12:04:08 <DeadSuperHero> :)
  13. Mar 15 12:04:21 <DeadSuperHero> Okay!
  14. Mar 15 12:04:24 <cha1tanya>     ok
  15. Mar 15 12:04:46 <DeadSuperHero> So, we're gonna focus on a few different things in this chat today.
  16. Mar 15 12:04:54 *       jamiew (~jamiew@173-45-226-44.slicehost.net) has joined #diaspora-meeting
  17. Mar 15 12:04:58 <DeadSuperHero> Specifically, one of the most important things to us: Community
  18. Mar 15 12:04:58 <arkiver>       great!
  19. Mar 15 12:05:09 *       str4ngerz can haz c0untd0wn?
  20. Mar 15 12:05:11 *       donnerdrummel (~yaaic@89.204.154.28) has joined #diaspora-meeting
  21. Mar 15 12:05:26 <DeadSuperHero> First, I want to make apparent some community stats as to how the project is growing.
  22. Mar 15 12:05:41 <DeadSuperHero> Over the past five months, we've had 143 pull requests.
  23. Mar 15 12:06:07 <DeadSuperHero> Over 103 of them were accepted, coming up to roughly a 69.3% accept rate. This number is going up as we speak.
  24. Mar 15 12:06:08 *       Johannes_ (4fd8b822@gateway/web/freenode/ip.79.216.184.34) has joined #diaspora-meeting
  25. Mar 15 12:06:11 <msalzberg>     Well at least. Github has some inconsistent data
  26. Mar 15 12:06:17 <DeadSuperHero> Yup.
  27. Mar 15 12:06:52 <DeadSuperHero> But the good news is that our accept rate is going way up. Our workflow for community developers
  28. Mar 15 12:06:54 <DeadSuperHero> is getting cleaner
  29. Mar 15 12:06:55 <DeadSuperHero> faster
  30. Mar 15 12:06:57 <DeadSuperHero> and easier.
  31. Mar 15 12:07:11 <msalzberg>     I've been trying to get pull request data from the top 50 projects on github
  32. Mar 15 12:07:19 <DeadSuperHero> How's that coming?
  33. Mar 15 12:07:50 <msalzberg>     But from my understanding now, Is that that number is wayyyy higher than other projects with our number of forks an followers
  34. Mar 15 12:08:23 <DeadSuperHero> So already, as far as FOSS projects of our size goes, we're ahead of a lot of other projects, and it's all thanks to the community.
  35. Mar 15 12:08:35 <msalzberg>     Which means that we are one of the most accessible projects on github.  If anyone had any ideas how to get more/ better data about this, I would appreciate it.
  36. Mar 15 12:08:53 *       dejongge (~jonke@pD9E0DEAC.dip0.t-ipconnect.de) has joined #diaspora-meeting
  37. Mar 15 12:09:05 <DeadSuperHero> We're actually working on creating a community developer report that showcases how exactly other numbers and factors are growing.
  38. Mar 15 12:09:11 *       axavio (824c4075@gateway/web/freenode/ip.130.76.64.117) has joined #diaspora-meeting
  39. Mar 15 12:09:25 <DeadSuperHero> Part of this process entails a potential developer survery that I'm putting together.
  40. Mar 15 12:09:29 <msalzberg>     Yeah DeadSuperHero I am excited to hear how that turns out.  
  41. Mar 15 12:09:34 <DeadSuperHero> It should be available this week or next.
  42. Mar 15 12:10:06 <DeadSuperHero> But it'd be really great to hold sort of an informal census to see who's out there contributing every day, who's active on the platform they help develop, the average amount of commits per developer, and much more.
  43. Mar 15 12:10:19 *       stultus (~stultus@wikisource/Hrishikesh.kb) has joined #diaspora-meeting
  44. Mar 15 12:10:26 <DeadSuperHero> We believe in making the developer experience just as awesome as the experience of actually using Diaspora, and we're working hard to get it there.
  45. Mar 15 12:10:53 <msalzberg>     I want to give a couple of shout outs to raven24 stwf_ and diasp
  46. Mar 15 12:10:53 <msalzberg>     Who have just been killing it.  
  47. Mar 15 12:11:02 <DeadSuperHero> Yeah, those guys have been so awesome.
  48. Mar 15 12:11:15 <DeadSuperHero> We've had some really terrific pull requests from them.
  49. Mar 15 12:11:18 <msalzberg>     Also DeadSuperHero, can you paste the link to stwf's search ajaxly pull?
  50. Mar 15 12:11:45 <stultus>       Hi all :)
  51. Mar 15 12:11:50 <denniscollective>      ahoy
  52. Mar 15 12:11:54 <DeadSuperHero> You bet! I'll dig for it. In the meantime, how's development going?
  53. Mar 15 12:12:13 <msalzberg>     I'm personally really excited about this. Everyone here has been really focused on nailing down a process which ensures that we have more people doing more useful work!
  54. Mar 15 12:12:32 <DeadSuperHero> stwf_, https://github.com/diaspora/diaspora/pull/2828
  55. Mar 15 12:12:58 <msalzberg>     And I want to reiterate again, we are committed to working with devs of all ability levels to get a well thought out, well communicated pull request in.
  56. Mar 15 12:13:21 <msalzberg>     A huge part of this is communication on our part. But also that of a dev
  57. Mar 15 12:13:44 <DeadSuperHero> Definitely.
  58. Mar 15 12:13:49 <msalzberg>     One thing we need to be extra careful for is when someone does a huge body of work
  59. Mar 15 12:14:26 <msalzberg>     And then just drops it off in a request, it can create a bunch of problems.  So a good rule of thumb is sub
  60. Mar 15 12:14:39 <msalzberg>     mit the smallest pull that makes sense for a feature.  
  61. Mar 15 12:14:48 <DeadSuperHero> Yeah, as per our usual policy, if you're making a huge pull request with a lot of changes, be sure to let us know beforehand.
  62. Mar 15 12:14:58 <msalzberg>     We had some great example of this process with raven this week
  63. Mar 15 12:15:23 <msalzberg>     Who submitted a good pull request with improved read more functionailty and oembed previews
  64. Mar 15 12:15:40 <msalzberg>     When he broke it out, it was super easy to get more into master faster
  65. Mar 15 12:15:46 <DeadSuperHero> Yeah, and that "reload media when liking the post it's in" bug is gone now.
  66. Mar 15 12:16:21 <msalzberg>     Word. Ok.
  67. Mar 15 12:16:24 <msalzberg>     What else DeadSuperHero
  68. Mar 15 12:16:26 <DeadSuperHero> So moving along, msalzberg how's the refactoring going?
  69. Mar 15 12:17:01 <msalzberg>     It's going in fits in bursts.  During work we have been refactoring the publisher.  
  70. Mar 15 12:17:07 <msalzberg>     If anyone has ever tried working on it
  71. Mar 15 12:17:11 <msalzberg>     You know it is a nightmare
  72. Mar 15 12:17:32 <DeadSuperHero> Jeez. So what exactly is going into refactoring it?
  73. Mar 15 12:17:36 <msalzberg>     so Dan and denniscollective have been backoneifing it.
  74. Mar 15 12:17:44 <DeadSuperHero> :)
  75. Mar 15 12:17:48 <denniscollective>      yeah
  76. Mar 15 12:17:50 <msalzberg>     denniscollective: Care to elaborate?
  77. Mar 15 12:17:55 <denniscollective>      a bunch of progress is being made
  78. Mar 15 12:18:17 <denniscollective>      people can follow along by watching the remotipart and posting branches on github
  79. Mar 15 12:18:19 <msalzberg>     (btw sry for my typos. Fighting bus traffic)
  80. Mar 15 12:18:35 <denniscollective>      but pretty much we're making an alternative publisher flow
  81. Mar 15 12:18:53 <denniscollective>      we're originally starting out by duplicating the current one, but in another place
  82. Mar 15 12:19:01 <denniscollective>      and doing it right, with current best practices
  83. Mar 15 12:19:03 <DeadSuperHero> Can you elaborate on how the new one will be different?
  84. Mar 15 12:19:05 <denniscollective>      the code is a lot nicer
  85. Mar 15 12:19:16 <stwf_> DeadSuperHero msalzberg Hi Thanks, just got here, stupid work...
  86. Mar 15 12:19:28 <DeadSuperHero> stwf_, <333333
  87. Mar 15 12:19:31 <denniscollective>      DeadSuperHero: when we know more yes, but it's still a bunch of conversations so I'm not exactly sure
  88. Mar 15 12:19:32 <msalzberg>     stwf_: Hey glad you could make it.
  89. Mar 15 12:19:51 <denniscollective>      right now we're making it as much like the old one as possible
  90. Mar 15 12:20:01 <DeadSuperHero> Makes sense.
  91. Mar 15 12:20:06 <denniscollective>      so then when it's "done" we can axe the old one, for the new one with nicer code
  92. Mar 15 12:20:17 <denniscollective>      there are sure to be a few little bugs when this happens
  93. Mar 15 12:20:23 <msalzberg>     Which is easier to build powerful new features on
  94. Mar 15 12:20:34 <denniscollective>      but it should be easier to fix them
  95. Mar 15 12:20:47 <denniscollective>      this happened when we shipped the backbonification of the stream
  96. Mar 15 12:20:47 <msalzberg>     Where as right now, changing the publisher is like pulling teeth
  97. Mar 15 12:20:49 <sarahmei>      Are you implementing your own Ajax file uploader ?
  98. Mar 15 12:20:58 <denniscollective>      sarahmei: remotipart
  99. Mar 15 12:21:08 <msalzberg>     denniscollective: Links?
  100. Mar 15 12:21:11 <sarahmei>      I've had to do that twice recently :p no fun
  101. Mar 15 12:21:23 <denniscollective>      furreal
  102. Mar 15 12:21:28 <msalzberg>     Gross
  103. Mar 15 12:21:29 <denniscollective>      msalzberg: wat? stop trollin
  104. Mar 15 12:21:40 <DeadSuperHero> lol
  105. Mar 15 12:21:42 <denniscollective>      when we shipped the backbonification of the stream...
  106. Mar 15 12:21:52 <denniscollective>      a bunch of small untested features disappeared
  107. Mar 15 12:21:57 <denniscollective>      this is a function of not having tests
  108. Mar 15 12:22:12 <DeadSuperHero> So obviously we're making improvements to the Publisher to make it easier to manage and develop.
  109. Mar 15 12:22:16 <denniscollective>      as far as I'm concerned, if a feature doesn't have tests, it doesn't exist
  110. Mar 15 12:22:22 <DeadSuperHero> Yeah, tests are really important.
  111. Mar 15 12:22:25 <sarahmei>      Amen
  112. Mar 15 12:22:25 <denniscollective>      because when you rewrite something, it disappears
  113. Mar 15 12:22:39 <stwf_> Maybe a modular system for the publisher, so people could add different functionality. It would be nice to be able to include alternate contents like MathXML equations, etc
  114. Mar 15 12:22:41 <denniscollective>      so we're trying not to miss anything in the rewrite
  115. Mar 15 12:22:48 <denniscollective>      but we inevitably will.
  116. Mar 15 12:22:58 <denniscollective>      so don't freak out when it happens, kay?
  117. Mar 15 12:23:05 <DeadSuperHero> These things happen.
  118. Mar 15 12:23:14 <msalzberg>     But you can help us!  You can test it right now. If you check out the branch
  119. Mar 15 12:23:16 <denniscollective>      stwf_: the code is a lot better, so should be easier to change
  120. Mar 15 12:23:32 <denniscollective>      no immediate plans of making a plugin architecture in it
  121. Mar 15 12:23:35 <msalzberg>     Every wip we have is on github!
  122. Mar 15 12:23:36 <stwf_> Is it right that when the javascript for a jasmine test doesn't compile it fails silently?
  123. Mar 15 12:23:37 <denniscollective>      but it will be easier to moddify
  124. Mar 15 12:23:45 <msalzberg>     Stw
  125. Mar 15 12:23:51 <sarahmei>      And what's a wip? :)
  126. Mar 15 12:23:52 <denniscollective>      yes
  127. Mar 15 12:23:54 <msalzberg>     stwf_: Yeah :)
  128. Mar 15 12:24:04 <stwf_> that is unfortunate lol
  129. Mar 15 12:24:05 <msalzberg>     Oh. Wip = work in progress
  130. Mar 15 12:24:07 <denniscollective>      it runs 0 tests
  131. Mar 15 12:24:14 <denniscollective>      when there are syntax errors
  132. Mar 15 12:24:18 <msalzberg>     stwf_: It's the nature of js.  
  133. Mar 15 12:24:23 <denniscollective>      you can look in the browser console
  134. Mar 15 12:24:29 <stwf_> not running tests is ok, but a warning would be nice...
  135. Mar 15 12:24:31 <denniscollective>      and look for syntax errors
  136. Mar 15 12:24:33 <sarahmei>      You have to watch the test count
  137. Mar 15 12:24:41 <sarahmei>      And make sure it's the same
  138. Mar 15 12:24:54 <sarahmei>      Definitely suboptimal
  139. Mar 15 12:24:55 <stwf_> sarahmei yup, will do from now on!
  140. Mar 15 12:25:01 <msalzberg>     stwf_: While you are here. I was wondering
  141. Mar 15 12:25:28 <msalzberg>     We really liked your pull. And you did everything you needed to get it pulled
  142. Mar 15 12:25:54 *       GeniusMusings (~chatzilla@66.96.1.33) has joined #diaspora-meeting
  143. Mar 15 12:26:00 <msalzberg>     After Grippi and i pulled it in, he made some stylistic changes to the code
  144. Mar 15 12:26:12 <msalzberg>     I thought you might find it interesting.
  145. Mar 15 12:26:24 <msalzberg>     But, I am not sure how to close that feedback loop
  146. Mar 15 12:26:45 <msalzberg>     Because I feel like it would be beneficial to you and other people
  147. Mar 15 12:26:49 <msalzberg>     We havent done anything like that before
  148. Mar 15 12:26:55 <msalzberg>     Any ideas?
  149. Mar 15 12:26:57 <stwf_> sure, I've been told my ruby style is awkward. I've developed bad habits
  150. Mar 15 12:27:16 <stwf_> So I don't mind your editing, I treat it all as a learning experience
  151. Mar 15 12:27:20 <msalzberg>     No problem.  Actually it was mostly in js land
  152. Mar 15 12:27:34 <msalzberg>     If it works and it has tests, it is pretty ok to me
  153. Mar 15 12:27:45 <sarahmei>      I wrote ruby that looked like java for the first few months after my transition :)
  154. Mar 15 12:27:50 <msalzberg>     Cool, is there use to you to have some sort of following?
  155. Mar 15 12:27:51 <sarahmei>      It's normal
  156. Mar 15 12:27:51 <DeadSuperHero> Oh lordy.
  157. Mar 15 12:28:03 <msalzberg>     * followup
  158. Mar 15 12:28:10 *       grippi (~grippi@mobile-166-205-138-175.mycingular.net) has joined #diaspora-meeting
  159. Mar 15 12:28:17 <msalzberg>     Stupid auto correct
  160. Mar 15 12:28:20 <grippi>        hey guys
  161. Mar 15 12:28:24 <DeadSuperHero> Hey Dan.
  162. Mar 15 12:28:28 <grippi>        sorry for the lateness
  163. Mar 15 12:28:28 <msalzberg>     Glad u could make it
  164. Mar 15 12:28:32 <msalzberg>     Jetk
  165. Mar 15 12:28:34 <grippi>        yeah
  166. Mar 15 12:28:36 <msalzberg>     Jerk
  167. Mar 15 12:28:41 <msalzberg>     Ok
  168. Mar 15 12:28:43 <denniscollective>      don't be jerks
  169. Mar 15 12:28:44 <grippi>        running and ircing
  170. Mar 15 12:28:48 <denniscollective>      make out instead
  171. Mar 15 12:28:51 <denniscollective>      <333
  172. Mar 15 12:28:51 <DeadSuperHero> XD
  173. Mar 15 12:28:53 <SlackerD>      lol
  174. Mar 15 12:28:53 <msalzberg>     What's next DeadSuperHero?
  175. Mar 15 12:29:00 <DeadSuperHero> Okay, so we only have a few small points left.
  176. Mar 15 12:29:12 <stwf_> I did see the edits, but that could ahve been easily missed. Once a pull is closed it kind of disappears? Is there a way to add a comment?
  177. Mar 15 12:29:18 <msalzberg>     Wait actually
  178. Mar 15 12:29:36 <msalzberg>     You can go comment again, and I get a notification.
  179. Mar 15 12:29:42 <msalzberg>     I read all of my github notifications.
  180. Mar 15 12:29:44 <DeadSuperHero> :P
  181. Mar 15 12:29:46 <DeadSuperHero> Anywhoo
  182. Mar 15 12:30:01 <DeadSuperHero> So msalzberg posted a week or two ago about the federation logger.
  183. Mar 15 12:30:08 <msalzberg>     Can we quickly link to the pull request guidelines?
  184. Mar 15 12:30:11 <msalzberg>     Here?
  185. Mar 15 12:30:20 <msalzberg>     Hold one sec on that
  186. Mar 15 12:30:43 <msalzberg>     Sean worked really hard to put these guidelines together, did everyone see his blog post?
  187. Mar 15 12:31:00 <DeadSuperHero> https://github.com/diaspora/diaspora/wiki/Pull-Request-Guidelines
  188. Mar 15 12:31:02 <DeadSuperHero> There we go!
  189. Mar 15 12:31:19 <msalzberg>     We have been working extra hard to build consistency in this process
  190. Mar 15 12:31:21 <DeadSuperHero> We're working on sprucing up the guidelines. Nothing too restrictive.
  191. Mar 15 12:31:49 <DeadSuperHero> But it's good to have a sort of Human Protocol to follow for community developers, so that everyone's job gets a little easier.
  192. Mar 15 12:32:03 <msalzberg>     It's a living document, just trying to establish how we work as a coding community.
  193. Mar 15 12:32:05 <msalzberg>     With bug mash Monday, we have been trying hard to live by these rules
  194. Mar 15 12:32:30 <DeadSuperHero> We've made little edits here and there as necessary by studying the Bug Mash.
  195. Mar 15 12:32:37 <msalzberg>     It's more like an FAQ for pull requests
  196. Mar 15 12:32:38 <msalzberg>     Yeah
  197. Mar 15 12:33:04 <msalzberg>     Ok, I just wanted to make sure everyone saw it. And thanks to people like stwf_ we know it does work!
  198. Mar 15 12:33:09 <DeadSuperHero> It's all simple stuff really, but all that great info is now in one place.
  199. Mar 15 12:33:11 <msalzberg>     Ok. Moving on!
  200. Mar 15 12:33:28 <DeadSuperHero> Last order of business, screencasts.
  201. Mar 15 12:33:33 <msalzberg>     Yeah. Thanks sean for coming to bat for that
  202. Mar 15 12:33:35 <msalzberg>     YEAH
  203. Mar 15 12:33:39 <str4ngerz>     can we please have some infos on [18:30] <DeadSuperHero> So msalzberg posted a week or two ago about the federation logger.
  204. Mar 15 12:33:46 <msalzberg>     Yes
  205. Mar 15 12:33:49 <msalzberg>     That's a screencast
  206. Mar 15 12:34:23 <msalzberg>     Sorry on phone, can someone provide a link?
  207. Mar 15 12:34:52 <msalzberg>     ...
  208. Mar 15 12:34:53 <DeadSuperHero> *fetches*
  209. Mar 15 12:35:02 <DeadSuperHero> http://devblog.joindiaspora.com/2012/03/02/screencast-federation-logger/
  210. Mar 15 12:35:05 <DeadSuperHero> SHAZAM
  211. Mar 15 12:35:11 <msalzberg>     How can we get less lurkers in these chats :p
  212. Mar 15 12:35:13 <str4ngerz>     i hoped to get some infos on federation-refactoring, like promised
  213. Mar 15 12:35:44 <denniscollective>      not much has happened
  214. Mar 15 12:35:48 <denniscollective>      we're still talking
  215. Mar 15 12:35:50 <msalzberg>     Well, it's all in the branch.  I have spent most of the week blogging an doing pull requests
  216. Mar 15 12:36:00 *       TakinOver (~chatzilla@pool-98-112-50-173.lsanca.fios.verizon.net) has joined #diaspora-meeting
  217. Mar 15 12:36:10 <denniscollective>      max's branch is compatible with the old stuff
  218. Mar 15 12:36:12 <msalzberg>     Right now primarily is about refactoring.  And killing and changing some bad tests
  219. Mar 15 12:36:27 <denniscollective>      no incompatible changes have been made yet.
  220. Mar 15 12:36:37 <denniscollective>      we aren't exactly sure what we are going to do
  221. Mar 15 12:36:38 <msalzberg>     It's about making the process more modular and less twisted
  222. Mar 15 12:36:40 <denniscollective>      so we are talking about it
  223. Mar 15 12:36:50 <denniscollective>      people are saying that we have already started. they are lying
  224. Mar 15 12:36:51 <msalzberg>     Yeah the reason we announced that it was going to happen so early
  225. Mar 15 12:36:53 <msalzberg>     Is exsist
  226. Mar 15 12:37:06 <DeadSuperHero> Simply put, it's a heads-up.
  227. Mar 15 12:37:09 <msalzberg>     Is to let everyone one know wayy in advance
  228. Mar 15 12:37:38 <str4ngerz>     ok, thanx
  229. Mar 15 12:37:43 <DeadSuperHero> Moving along though, I'm taking it upon myself to do 4-5 videos sort of visually explaining getting into the Diaspora GitHub workflow, where to find bugs, stress testing, making pull requests, and all that great stuff.
  230. Mar 15 12:37:59 <DeadSuperHero> We want to try and help the newbies that want to learn in a very visual way.
  231. Mar 15 12:38:00 <msalzberg>     Your going to know when important changes are pushed to master
  232. Mar 15 12:38:08 <grippi>        yay Sean!
  233. Mar 15 12:38:25 <msalzberg>     Yes. An the federation logger is a tool I made to help people understand federation at a high level
  234. Mar 15 12:38:39 <msalzberg>     It's not too hard to set up, and I go really slow in the video
  235. Mar 15 12:38:57 <msalzberg>     If you have a dev setup on your box at home, you can set it up!
  236. Mar 15 12:39:25 <DeadSuperHero> Yeah, Max even shows you how to use it in his screencast.
  237. Mar 15 12:40:05 <msalzberg>     Also, sorry I suck at screencasts. I will get better
  238. Mar 15 12:40:16 <DeadSuperHero> We all will.
  239. Mar 15 12:40:18 <msalzberg>     What kinds of screencasts would be helpful to all of you?
  240. Mar 15 12:40:26 *       axavio has quit (Ping timeout: 245 seconds)
  241. Mar 15 12:40:34 <msalzberg>     DeadSuperHero: Had some ideas.
  242. Mar 15 12:40:54 <DeadSuperHero> Just anything that can help explain how parts of the system and development process works.
  243. Mar 15 12:41:02 <stwf_> how to run the tests, etc. Maybe mention the jasmine issue
  244. Mar 15 12:41:10 <DeadSuperHero> Good ideas!
  245. Mar 15 12:41:37 <TakinOver>     msalzberg: Take it from the beginning. Start with forking on Github.
  246. Mar 15 12:41:43 <DeadSuperHero> That's what I'm doing.
  247. Mar 15 12:41:44 <DeadSuperHero> :)
  248. Mar 15 12:41:51 *       rosanna (~rosanna@50-79-36-194-static.hfc.comcastbusiness.net) has joined #diaspora-meeting
  249. Mar 15 12:41:56 <msalzberg>     Ok, we can do that
  250. Mar 15 12:41:59 <msalzberg>     What else?!
  251. Mar 15 12:42:25 <DeadSuperHero> That's about everything we wanted to address, so now we're going to take about five minutes or so for questions, if anyone has any.
  252. Mar 15 12:42:27 *       grippi_ (~grippi@75-101-111-130.dedicated.static.sonic.net) has joined #diaspora-meeting
  253. Mar 15 12:42:32 <grippi_>       ok, back
  254. Mar 15 12:42:36 <grippi_>       on an actual computer
  255. Mar 15 12:42:40 <DeadSuperHero> Woot.
  256. Mar 15 12:42:42 <grippi_>       sry for the away nonsense
  257. Mar 15 12:42:53 <msalzberg>     Yes.  So questions time
  258. Mar 15 12:43:19 <TakinOver>     DeadSuperHero: How about creating/posting a high-level overview of D source. Kind of massive for someone new.
  259. Mar 15 12:43:23 <msalzberg>     So Sean and I are gonna work on screencasts, starting with forking, which include running the tests.  
  260. Mar 15 12:43:57 <DeadSuperHero> A high-level overview would be a pretty big undertaking, but maybe explaining the different parts in the different directories could be a good start.
  261. Mar 15 12:44:39 <msalzberg>     TakinOver: I need to get better at screencasts first :p
  262. Mar 15 12:44:50 <TakinOver>     DeadSuperHero: Yes, that would be great.
  263. Mar 15 12:44:54 <sarahmei>      There are some good resources out there that talk about the structure of rails apps
  264. Mar 15 12:45:03 <DeadSuperHero> Definitely.
  265. Mar 15 12:45:11 <sarahmei>      And diaspora is in many ways a very standard rails app
  266. Mar 15 12:45:26 <TakinOver>     msalzberg: Yeah, I tried to make one once. Major fail.
  267. Mar 15 12:45:34 <sarahmei>      At least it is in its code layout
  268. Mar 15 12:45:35 <stwf_> Is there a schedule for the UX revamping? Also the backbone-ifying? It seems that fixing some of the smaller bugs could wait if that was going to be done soon...
  269. Mar 15 12:46:12 <msalzberg>     stwf_: With all the bloggy stuff, it has been slow going :(
  270. Mar 15 12:46:24 <msalzberg>     But that does remind
  271. Mar 15 12:46:30 <msalzberg>     Me
  272. Mar 15 12:46:39 <msalzberg>     I want to create a wish list.
  273. Mar 15 12:46:51 <msalzberg>     I know I brought it up a couple of weeks ago.
  274. Mar 15 12:46:59 <msalzberg>     But there are some developer
  275. Mar 15 12:47:00 <grippi_>       stwf_: yeah, i'll bring you guys up to speed on that in the near-future
  276. Mar 15 12:47:10 <msalzberg>     Feature kind of things that need to get done
  277. Mar 15 12:47:35 <grippi_>       stwf_: ps killer pull request with the ajaxing in of remote ppl in the search :)
  278. Mar 15 12:47:38 <stultus>       any news on the api?
  279. Mar 15 12:47:47 <msalzberg>     I know something Pistos mentioned would be to set up some sort of configurable branding pack
  280. Mar 15 12:47:54 <grippi_>       stultus: not yet
  281. Mar 15 12:47:59 <grippi_>       we're going to be refactoring federation
  282. Mar 15 12:48:01 <grippi_>       and when we do that
  283. Mar 15 12:48:09 <grippi_>       then we'll start documenting the new hottness
  284. Mar 15 12:48:11 <stwf_> technically isn't the xml interface a sort of api?
  285. Mar 15 12:48:17 <denniscollective>      functionally there is the api that backbone talks to
  286. Mar 15 12:48:22 <msalzberg>     There is a federation API
  287. Mar 15 12:48:23 <denniscollective>      but it's not a public api
  288. Mar 15 12:48:27 <grippi_>       stwf_: denniscollective right
  289. Mar 15 12:48:34 <denniscollective>      people could theoretically build stuff on it, using the same thing we use
  290. Mar 15 12:48:34 <grippi_>       but it's not "spec'd"
  291. Mar 15 12:48:42 <grippi_>       it's more of what we need at the current point in time
  292. Mar 15 12:48:43 <denniscollective>      but it's not published because it needs to change rapidly
  293. Mar 15 12:48:50 <msalzberg>     Yes. Backboneification means we are building the app on top of a json API to make that work
  294. Mar 15 12:48:54 <grippi_>       denniscollective: false!
  295. Mar 15 12:49:01 <grippi_>       debs would need api tokens
  296. Mar 15 12:49:04 <grippi_>       *devs
  297. Mar 15 12:49:13 *       sfs (d952848d@gateway/web/freenode/ip.217.82.132.141) has joined #diaspora-meeting
  298. Mar 15 12:49:25 <grippi_>       i suppose we could use devise token authenticatable
  299. Mar 15 12:49:36 <grippi_>       as a hack
  300. Mar 15 12:49:39 <denniscollective>      what do people want to make with the api?
  301. Mar 15 12:49:42 <grippi_>       i believe that's what Pistos does
  302. Mar 15 12:49:47 <stwf_> ipad app!
  303. Mar 15 12:49:59 <grippi_>       stwf_: DUDE I GET MY RETINA IPAD TOMORROW I'M SO PUMPED
  304. Mar 15 12:50:00 <DeadSuperHero> There has been interest in getting support into Gwibber and Choqok.
  305. Mar 15 12:50:00 *       TakinOver_ (~chatzilla@pool-98-112-50-173.lsanca.fios.verizon.net) has joined #diaspora-meeting
  306. Mar 15 12:50:03 <grippi_>       (sorry, apple fanboy)
  307. Mar 15 12:50:11 <msalzberg>     I think it's a bad idea to do token auth
  308. Mar 15 12:50:14 <grippi_>       getting into gwibber involves XMPP, no?
  309. Mar 15 12:50:18 <stwf_> I hesitated, now I have to wait. I may try a quick hit at the local walmart!
  310. Mar 15 12:50:19 <grippi_>       msalzberg: github did it
  311. Mar 15 12:50:24 <msalzberg>     The API is changing alot as we refactor stuff
  312. Mar 15 12:50:28 <grippi_>       haha, it'll totally be worth it
  313. Mar 15 12:50:56 <grippi_>       stwf_: let's FaceTime once you get the new ipad
  314. Mar 15 12:50:58 <grippi_>       it'll be rad
  315. Mar 15 12:51:03 <grippi_>       we can talk about javascript and stuff
  316. Mar 15 12:51:07 <denniscollective>      as noted here http://blog.diasporafoundation.org/2012/03/12/how-we-are.html what we currently have is a great start for what we need to do
  317. Mar 15 12:51:12 <stwf_> grippi_ you got it!
  318. Mar 15 12:51:22 <grippi_>       YES.
  319. Mar 15 12:51:24 <denniscollective>      we don't know exactly what we need to get to where we need to go
  320. Mar 15 12:51:27 <denniscollective>      but it's emerging
  321. Mar 15 12:51:46 <denniscollective>      so, as stuff solidifies, we will be publishing our apis
  322. Mar 15 12:51:48 <DeadSuperHero> Things are definitely coming together.
  323. Mar 15 12:52:03 <denniscollective>      but until then, we need the ability to keep changing things
  324. Mar 15 12:52:10 *       torrancew (~torrancew@173-228-17-16.dsl.static.sonic.net) has joined #diaspora-meeting
  325. Mar 15 12:52:56 <DeadSuperHero> Any other questions?
  326. Mar 15 12:52:56 <denniscollective>      anyone have anything else?
  327. Mar 15 12:52:58 <stwf_> sure, I mean at that point the beta tag (i believe becomes a big deal)
  328. Mar 15 12:54:00 <DeadSuperHero> No questions?
  329. Mar 15 12:54:04 <stultus>       one more thing, what is wrong with cubbi.es ??
  330. Mar 15 12:54:24 *       __t (~t@port-92-195-64-238.dynamic.qsc.de) has joined #diaspora-meeting
  331. Mar 15 12:54:33 <stultus>       login with user@pod results in Application error :(
  332. Mar 15 12:54:44 <DeadSuperHero> msalzberg, any ideas?
  333. Mar 15 12:54:47 <stultus>       but username and password method works
  334. Mar 15 12:54:49 *       GeniusMusings has quit (Quit: ChatZilla 0.9.88.1 [Firefox 10.0.2/20120215223356])
  335. Mar 15 12:55:02 <denniscollective>      grippi_ would eb the one to ask
  336. Mar 15 12:55:03 *       msalzberg has quit (Ping timeout: 245 seconds)
  337. Mar 15 12:55:25 *       diasp (~diasp@mnch-5d854160.pool.mediaWays.net) has joined #diaspora-meeting
  338. Mar 15 12:55:43 <diasp> hi@all
  339. Mar 15 12:55:49 <denniscollective>      ahoy!
  340. Mar 15 12:55:51 <DeadSuperHero> Hey diasp
  341. Mar 15 12:56:02 *       msalzberg (~maxwell@75-101-111-130.dedicated.static.sonic.net) has joined #diaspora-meeting
  342. Mar 15 12:56:08 <denniscollective>      there is something wrong with cubbies.
  343. Mar 15 12:56:08 <msalzberg>     arg sorry got disconnected
  344. Mar 15 12:56:08 <grippi_>       i'll escalate fixing cubbies
  345. Mar 15 12:56:16 <DeadSuperHero> That'd be super cool.
  346. Mar 15 12:56:24 <msalzberg>     yeah srsly
  347. Mar 15 12:56:25 <stultus>       :)
  348. Mar 15 12:56:42 <msalzberg>     ok
  349. Mar 15 12:56:47 <msalzberg>     would office hours be helpful to people?
  350. Mar 15 12:56:52 <msalzberg>     i would hold them if people would come?
  351. Mar 15 12:57:23 <sarahmei>      What would you do at office hours?
  352. Mar 15 12:57:31 <msalzberg>     I'm not sure exactly
  353. Mar 15 12:57:42 <msalzberg>     but i feel like people would benefit if there was a set hour i was here
  354. Mar 15 12:57:43 <denniscollective>      what does office hours mean?
  355. Mar 15 12:58:01 <denniscollective>      isn't that this?
  356. Mar 15 12:58:16 <msalzberg>     this is something with an agenda
  357. Mar 15 12:58:22 <msalzberg>     where we talk about cool things that happend
  358. Mar 15 12:58:23 <TakinOver_>    msalzberg: Office hours was helpful back in my college days, but if no one shows, you've wasted time.
  359. Mar 15 12:58:25 <sarahmei>      Well it's a big group. You could use office hours to offer individual help
  360. Mar 15 12:58:31 <msalzberg>     yeah
  361. Mar 15 12:58:34 <sarahmei>      To contributors
  362. Mar 15 12:58:52 <denniscollective>      seems unnecessarily formal.
  363. Mar 15 12:59:01 <denniscollective>      vs hey contributors
  364. Mar 15 12:59:07 <denniscollective>      please direct message us any time
  365. Mar 15 12:59:17 <msalzberg>     no, denniscollective i think it is worth talking about
  366. Mar 15 12:59:33 <msalzberg>     would anyone feel like that would help them?
  367. Mar 15 12:59:41 <msalzberg>     I feel akin TakinOver_ said
  368. Mar 15 12:59:53 <msalzberg>     but if people think they would show up i would be willing to try it out
  369. Mar 15 13:00:40 <msalzberg>     nobody?
  370. Mar 15 13:00:42 <msalzberg>     ok
  371. Mar 15 13:00:45 <msalzberg>     fake idea then
  372. Mar 15 13:00:54 <sarahmei>      I think it's friendlier and lower barrier to say hey show up at this time and we'll help
  373. Mar 15 13:01:03 <sarahmei>      Vs direct message us
  374. Mar 15 13:01:17 <sarahmei>      But if nobody else agrees that's ok :)
  375. Mar 15 13:01:28 <msalzberg>     ....
  376. Mar 15 13:01:36 <msalzberg>     ok
  377. Mar 15 13:01:39 <msalzberg>     anything else?
  378. Mar 15 13:01:52 <msalzberg>     I'm here, your here?
  379. Mar 15 13:02:12 <torrancew>     msalzberg: A bit late, but I do think office hours are a decent idea, but I may be the only one that would use them, it seems, and the frequency would be sporadic for me
  380. Mar 15 13:02:36 <denniscollective>      torrancew: girl, you got an open door policy
  381. Mar 15 13:02:52 *       msalzberg_ (~msalzberg@mobile-166-205-136-145.mycingular.net) has joined #diaspora-meeting
  382. Mar 15 13:02:58 <msalzberg>     stupid phone
  383. Mar 15 13:03:08 <denniscollective>      two msalzbergs
  384. Mar 15 13:03:11 <denniscollective>      too much.
  385. Mar 15 13:03:14 <denniscollective>      not enough.
  386. Mar 15 13:03:15 <denniscollective>      moar.
  387. Mar 15 13:03:21 *       denniscollective is now known as msalzberg__
  388. Mar 15 13:03:25 <msalzberg>     3 or nothing
  389. Mar 15 13:03:26 <msalzberg>     ok
  390. Mar 15 13:03:29 <msalzberg>     does anyone
  391. Mar 15 13:03:30 <msalzberg>     have
  392. Mar 15 13:03:31 <msalzberg__>   winning
  393. Mar 15 13:03:35 <msalzberg>     anything else?
  394. Mar 15 13:03:36 <msalzberg__>   moar
  395. Mar 15 13:03:37 <msalzberg__>   things
  396. Mar 15 13:03:38 <TakinOver_>    Also, I think you'll need to limit topics in office hours. Idle chit-chat or whining would not help anyone.
  397. Mar 15 13:03:39 <msalzberg__>   to
  398. Mar 15 13:03:40 <msalzberg__>   say
  399. Mar 15 13:03:42 *       tca (~tca@a79-168-253-128.cpe.netcabo.pt) has joined #diaspora-meeting
  400. Mar 15 13:03:43 <DeadSuperHero> Okay, so if anyone has any more questions, now would be a time to speak up.
  401. Mar 15 13:03:47 <msalzberg>     TakinOver_: amen to that!
  402. Mar 15 13:03:50 <msalzberg>     :)
  403. Mar 15 13:03:53 <msalzberg__>   a
  404. Mar 15 13:03:55 <msalzberg__>   m
  405. Mar 15 13:03:57 <msalzberg__>   e
  406. Mar 15 13:03:57 <msalzberg__>   n
  407. Mar 15 13:04:05 *       tca is now known as pedestrian
  408. Mar 15 13:04:19 <msalzberg>     ok
  409. Mar 15 13:04:20 <msalzberg__>   nothing else?
  410. Mar 15 13:04:22 <torrancew>     I'm good
  411. Mar 15 13:04:32 <msalzberg>     everyone else, have a really good day.  stay dry!
  412. Mar 15 13:04:33 <msalzberg__>   well thanks for coming!
  413. Mar 15 13:04:34 <DeadSuperHero> Alright, I guess that pretty much sums it up!
  414. Mar 15 13:04:36 <sfs>   Thanks for the great document about testing
  415. Mar 15 13:04:45 <DeadSuperHero> :)
  416. Mar 15 13:04:48 <msalzberg>     sfs: thanks for showing up
  417. Mar 15 13:04:57 <DeadSuperHero> Chatlogs going up in 10 minutes on the wiki!
  418. Mar 15 13:05:01 <torrancew>     adios
  419. Mar 15 13:05:02 *       torrancew (~torrancew@173-228-17-16.dsl.static.sonic.net) has left #diaspora-meeting
  420. Mar 15 13:05:08 <pedestrian>    I guess I'm late...
  421. Mar 15 13:05:11 <pedestrian>    again...
  422. Mar 15 13:05:14 <msalzberg>     and feedback on any of the stuff we produce it much appreciated
  423. Mar 15 13:05:18 <sfs>   if I have some questions about test I need where is the best place to ask?
  424. Mar 15 13:05:35 <msalzberg>     if your code is kinda complete
  425. Mar 15 13:05:39 *       grippi__ (~grippi@75-101-111-130.dedicated.static.sonic.net) has joined #diaspora-meeting
  426. Mar 15 13:05:40 <msalzberg>     you can actually submit a pull request
  427. Mar 15 13:05:45 <msalzberg>     and I will review it and let you know!
  428. Mar 15 13:05:45 <DeadSuperHero> sfs, the diaspora-dev mailing list is also a good option.
  429. Mar 15 13:05:53 <sfs>   oh really. Perfect!
  430. Mar 15 13:05:57 <msalzberg__>   or #diaspora-dev on freenode
  431. Mar 15 13:06:05 *       grippi__ has quit (Client Quit)
  432. Mar 15 13:06:07 <msalzberg__>   but you can submit a pull request to ask for feedback on it as well
  433. Mar 15 13:06:10 <msalzberg>     but its easier when i can see the code :)
  434. Mar 15 13:06:19 *       msalzberg__ is now known as dnscollective
  435. Mar 15 13:06:24 <msalzberg>     oh also, we ALMOST got to zero pull requests this week
  436. Mar 15 13:06:26 *       dnscollective is now known as denniscollective
  437. Mar 15 13:06:32 <msalzberg>     its like inbox zero for FOSS nerds
  438. Mar 15 13:06:46 <stwf_> that means I need to tmake some more!
  439. Mar 15 13:06:51 <msalzberg>     <3333333333333333333
  440. Mar 15 13:06:54 <msalzberg>     please
  441. Mar 15 13:06:59 <msalzberg>     you all need to make more!
  442. Mar 15 13:07:06 <msalzberg>     we gotta get BMM rocking and rollin again
  443. Mar 15 13:07:14 <msalzberg>     and maybe even get some bigger things into the mix
  444. Mar 15 13:07:14 <DeadSuperHero> We really do.
  445. Mar 15 13:07:14 <sfs>   ok I thing I prefer the pull request. I find it hard to get into the testing stuff right now. Is it ok to put stuff into the db for own tests?
  446. Mar 15 13:07:32 <msalzberg>     sts we hit the db in our tests
  447. Mar 15 13:07:36 <msalzberg>     we is bad people like that :/
  448. Mar 15 13:08:32 *       donnerdrummel has quit (Ping timeout: 246 seconds)
  449. Mar 15 13:08:40 <sfs>   Ok. I will submit a small fix without tests at first. You can then review it and give me advise for good tests maybe. That would be great!
RAW Paste Data
We use cookies for various purposes including analytics. By continuing to use Pastebin, you agree to our use of cookies as described in the Cookies Policy. OK, I Understand
 
Top