The snow fairy
Sp33dyColibri Dec 13th, 2019 86 Never
Not a member of Pastebin yet? Sign Up, it unlocks many cool features!
- The Snow Fairy
- BY CLAUDE MCKAY
- Throughout the afternoon I watched them there,
- Snow-fairies falling, falling from the sky,
- Whirling fantastic in the misty air,
- Contending fierce for space supremacy.
- And they flew down a mightier force at night,
- As though in heaven there was revolt and riot,
- And they, frail things had taken panic flight
- Down to the calm earth seeking peace and quiet.
- I went to bed and rose at early dawn
- To see them huddled together in a heap,
- Each merged into the other upon the lawn,
- Worn out by the sharp struggle, fast asleep.
- The sun shone brightly on them half the day,
- By night they stealthily had stol’n away.
- And suddenly my thoughts then turned to you
- Who came to me upon a winter’s night,
- When snow-sprites round my attic window flew,
- Your hair disheveled, eyes aglow with light.
- My heart was like the weather when you came,
- The wanton winds were blowing loud and long;
- But you, with joy and passion all aflame,
- You danced and sang a lilting summer song.
- I made room for you in my little bed,
- Took covers from the closet fresh and warm,
- A downful pillow for your scented head,
- And lay down with you resting in my arm.
- You went with Dawn. You left me ere the day,
- The lonely actor of a dreamy play.
RAW Paste Data