Dragon Warrior II - Seed Lock + Metal Slime manipulation
EvilAsh25 Apr 22nd, 2016 (edited) 158 Never
Not a member of Pastebin yet? Sign Up, it unlocks many cool features!
- I first learned about this when Vaxherd made a new NES DW3 TAS (http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17658), and brought to light seed locking in both Dragon Warrior 2 and Dragon Warrior 3.
- In DW2, all it takes is to simply put in a specific name and message speed (in this case I am using 'uHkd' and Fast speed) to lock the seed at 0xAFF5. Originally Vaxherd had mentioned using 'TUT', which locks the seed at 0x5FEA.
- The effects of locking the seed (among other things) are no random encounters, chest gold drops are always a fixed value, and all the townspeople walk in the same direction. The downside to this is if you get into a forced battle, the first one being the 2x Gremlin fight to get the Ship, the game softlocks.
- Many months ago, after testing out the initial manipulation with the name 'TUT' I stumbled across Catklaw who beat me to the punch and already did a run with a the new seed lock. He also mapped out a way to manipulate a Metal Slime encounter that drops an Iron Helmet 100% of the time (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6irM1ekKvPE). This is huge in that the Iron Helmet sells for 2363g, which makes getting enough gold for the Jailor's Key a non-issue.
- Since finding Catklaw's video, I've been playing with this and found that I could manipulate additional Metal Slimes (3 more, 4 total). My current route manipulates exactly enough enemies to get levels up to 7/6/4, the most important being Moonbrooke level 4 for Infernos.
- So, for now, the route basically goes like this:
- -collect items, Cannock, Moonbrook
- -while doing this, I am arranging inventory to a very specific setup
- -save the game to unlock the RNG - manipulation of the inventory as well as gold, etc... allows me to unlock from a known RNG value
- -manipulate steps to kill a Metal Slime and get Iron Helmet drop
- -continue manipulation to kill 3 more Metal Slimes + 1 Ghost Rat + 1 Carnivog
- -this gets levels up to 7/6/4
- -Heal and continue on to Lianport
RAW Paste Data