Kingdom Hearts lore resources
The_Echo Jun 2nd, 2014 (edited) 5,951 Never
Not a member of Pastebin yet? Sign Up, it unlocks many cool features!
- So the purpose of this Paste is to have a quick reference guide for the lore of Kingdom Hearts. This isn't necessarily a "complete" collection, because there are odds and ends that sometimes only make it into magazine interviews. I'll add them in as I come across them, but what's collected in this Paste is, 9 times out of 10, all you need.
- Naturally one of the best ways to get a good grasp on the plot is to play EVERY game; yes, all of them. This introduces to you the basic concepts and most of the information about the plot really DOES come from the games. For example...
- --THE REPORTS--
- In many of the Kingdom Hearts titles, you'll collect Reports which reveal backstory and hidden information. These are very important resources.
- ANSEM REPORTS are the collected works of "Ansem," Seeker of Darkness, and his former mentor Ansem the Wise. They cover mostly matters concerning the nature of hearts and worlds, and give light to certain events and characters.
- SECRET REPORTS are special Reports written by the various members of Organization XIII during the course of Roxas' stay with them. The majority of the information found here only really matters to the plot of Days, or simply retreads it. But there are a few little bits that might raise your eyebrow.
- XEHANORT REPORTS are the writings of Master Xehanort himself, which cover Xehanort's upbringing, his fascination with the balance between Light and Darkness, Keyblades and Keyblade wielders, the Keyblade War, the χ-blade and Kingdom Hearts itself.
- THE DREAM DROP DISTANCE REPORT is the entire journal section of DDD. The focus here is the Glossary and Chronicle. There are few, if any, new revelations here, but the entries are written plainly and concisely to easily define certain ideas.
- Unfortunately, not everything can be found in-game.
- If you don't know, every Kingdom Hearts title has had an "Ultimania" companion book with staff interviews. A common interview is discussing the scenario with Tetsuya Nomura. Here he answers our burning questions from the game.
- KINGDOM HEARTS:
- Part 1 http://kh-ultimania.livejournal.com/3508.html
- Part 2 http://kh-ultimania.livejournal.com/3971.html
- NOTE: Outside of the interview (hence, not translated above), there's a blurb which explains the mysterious voice in Sora's Dive to the Heart. It's King Mickey. Source: http://i.imgur.com/9LZfjsk.jpg
- 1) 謎の声
- "The mysterious voice. Calling out to Sora here is the King."
- CHAIN OF MEMORIES does have an Ultimania interview, however there is no "Scenario Mysteries" segment like the other games. Much of the main interview involved questions about or related to KHII, and almost nothing new about CoM's scenario is revealed in this interview. For that reason, it is not included in this Paste. However, it shouldn't be hard to find if you care to read.
- KINGDOM HEARTS II:
- DIRECTOR'S SECRET REPORT XIII is a thirteen-part interview with Nomura featured in Another Report, a book which came with the Limited Edition of Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix+
- 358/2 DAYS:
- Timeline comparing CoM to Days http://www.khinsider.com/358-2-days/interviews/kingdom-hearts-358-2-days-ultimania---timeline
- BIRTH BY SLEEP:
- DREAM DROP DISTANCE:
- http://www.khinsider.com/news/KH3D-Ultimania-Interviews-Translated-2602#Scenario Mysteries
- --MAGAZINE INTERVIEWS--
- Yes, on occasion, Nomura will give some insights into the world and story when interviewed for magazines. These are ordered chronologically, labeled with games and topics relevant.
- http://www.khinsider.com/news/Famitsu-2006-Nomura-Interview-2569 [KHII] (Antiform, Kairi's memories, black coats, Organization's Heartless)
- http://www.khinsider.com/news/New-Famitsu-Interview-with-Tetsuya-Nomura-908 [Days] (Pending cross-reference)
- http://www.khinsider.com/news/Famitsu-Interview-Fully-Translated-1795 [Re:coded] (Why Naminé puts her message into the journal)
- https://www.khinsider.com/news/Famitsu-showcases-Kingdom-Hearts-HD-2-8-Nomura-interview-released-8108 [χ series] (How the Master makes Keyblades)
- --CONCERT READINGS--
- During the First Breath concerts in Japan, series voice actors performed small scenes especially for the concert. Of the three, only one appears to be canon. It's a conversation between Naminé and Terra, which is preserved and translated in the Orchestra World Tour program. I've transcribed it in the follow Paste:
- According to attendees, Nomura states this dialogue happens prior to 0.2.
- Otherwise, there are two monologues: one a letter from Kairi to Sora, detailing her training with Lea; the other, a soliloquy by Xion addressed to Roxas and Axel. Considering they have not been released past the initial performances, they may not be canon.
- It's a lot to read through, and there are certainly still other mysteries in the Kingdom Hearts world, but with your expanded knowledge of the events that have occurred thus far, you can begin to piece together a decent guess about the things we don't know--or maybe even predict the true answer!
RAW Paste Data