- OnePlus 3/3T needs touch firmware(in /system/etc/firmware/tp, closed source) tuning for better latency.
- The latest 3.5.3 update on the 3T is still not good enough(tried it myself).
- Currently, the "move sensitivity" on the OnePlus 3 is set too big, which results in latency.
- If you touch the screen and move the finger around very little(like 3~5mm), it won't be registered as a scroll. This is because the "move sensitivity" is set too big. We are on a 5.5" screen. I think it'll be totally fine to reduce the threshold a bit.
- (If the threshold is set too small, a tap will be registered as a scroll. If it's set too big, a scroll will be registered as a tap and increase latency.)
- Smoothness is not equal to latency.
- OnePlus 3’s hardware is “smooth”. And by smooth, it means the GPU can consistently handle 60fps output.
- Latency is another thing, since latency is big, contents beneath the finger always follow your finger slowly(more noticeable when you scroll slowly).
- iPhone always had the lowest latency and iPhone switchers are already noticing the latency on the OnePlus 3.
- For me personally, I can tell the differences too on a Galaxy device, and even with the previous OnePlus 1.
- For more explanation, watch Microsoft’s video on YouTube :
- There are multiple sources that can add up to touch latency.
- 1. Hardware
- 2. Linux kernel
- 3. Linux kernel device drivers from OnePlus
- 4. Touch firmware (/system/etc/firmware/tp)
- 5. Android OS
- 1. OnePlus 3/3T uses touch panels from Synaptics, which has very good reputations around touch hardware, including laptop's trackpad and smartphone/tablet's touch panel. I highly doubt Synaptics would produce such a high latency product in 2016.
- 2. Linux kernel is already quite efficient and every Android devices are using it.
- Nothing wrong here.
- 3. The measured latency is 2~4ms, which is way below vsync event(16.67ms), so it’s fine for the drivers to have 2~4ms delay.
- 4. This is responsible for the “touch tuning”, which includes the threshold I’ve mentioned earlier.
- 5. Same reason as No 2.