Windows 8.1 Updates
- = Unblocking Newer Processors =
- While you can still install Windows 7 (https://pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt) and 8.1 on newer processors (Kaby Lake, Ryzen etc), microsoft does not officially support it, and has tried to pressure users into switching to Windows 10 by blocking updates on those PCs. This includes new drivers, security updates, and Windows Defender. You will get an "Unsupported Hardware" message at startup that can only be stopped by disabling Windows Update in Services. However you can easily unblock updates with this tool:
- (Let Windows do its first round of updates and restart BEFORE using it)
- Alternatively, you can download updates manually from microsoft's webpage, or use the third party tool WSUS Offline, as the block does not interfere with either.
- = Avoiding Telemetry =
- Windows Update has stopped providing most patches individually, instead releasing them as one big monthly pack called a "Rollup". Each one includes the updates from all previous months, including back-ported Windows 10 telemetry that cannot be detached from legit updates. To easily disable this new telemetry, just finish installing your updates, then save this script as a ".cmd" file and run it as administrator:
- Manual Guide: https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/2000012-neutralize-telemetry-sustain-win-7-8-1-monthly-rollup-model/
- Source: https://forums.mydigitallife.net/posts/1203873
- More info: https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/2000011-group-a-group-b-and-group-w-whats-the-difference/
- You may also want to run the Ancile Script, which disables a range of telemetry and unwanted updates that were already in Windows before the Rollups:
- Security Only updates (Advanced):
- "Security Only" updates are an alternative way to keep Windows up to date, avoiding Rollups by installing a set of minimal monthly packs with just security patches and a few bug fixes in them. Unlike Rollups, each pack only contains the patches for its own month, so you need all of them for full protection. They are not available through Windows Update itself, so they can only be installed manually. The easiest way to do this is to run the 3rd party tool WSUS Offline once a month:
- Run UpdateGenerator.exe, check your OS version, and check "Use security only updates instead of quality rollups". Then click start. It will make a folder of these minimalist updates, replacing the Rollups with security patches from the microsoft catalog. When it's done, go to the Client folder, run UpdateInstaller.exe, and follow the instructions till it's complete. Be sure to DISABLE automatic updates in Windows, and to UNCHECK all "Security Monthly Quality Rollups" if you ever use Windows Update. If you keep the folders WSUS creates, you can re-run the UpdateGenerator again in the future. It will remember your settings and only download new updates it's missing.
- Note that the 09/2019 and 03/2020 updates contain the same telemetry that was back-ported from Windows 10 into the Rollups, so you should still consider using both telemetry tools above if you want those month's security patches.
RAW Paste Data Copied