Windows 8.1 Updates
weoiwe Aug 29th, 2016 (edited) 12,548 Never
Not a member of Pastebin yet? Sign Up, it unlocks many cool features!
- Unblocking Newer Processors (Kaby Lake, Ryzen etc)
- While you can still install Windows 7 (https://pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt) and 8.1 on newer processors, microsoft does not officially support it, and has tried to pressure users into switching to Windows 10 by disabling updates on those PCs. This includes driver updates, security updates, and Windows Defender. The easiest way to bypass this is through a user made patch:
- (Let Windows do its first round of updates and restart BEFORE using it)
- Alternatively, you can download updates manually from microsoft's webpage, or use the third party tool WSUS Offline, as the block does not interfere with either.
- Avoiding Telemetry
- Windows Update doesn't offer most of its updates individually anymore, even security ones. Now most of them are only released as part of a large monthly "rollup", which contains all the updates from previous rollups, and (since October 2016) back-ported Windows 10 telemetry. To get around this, you can either:
- A) Disable Back-ported Telemetry:
- Finish installing your updates, then save this script as a ".cmd" file and run it as administrator:
- Source: https://forums.mydigitallife.net/posts/1203873
- More info: https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/2000011-group-a-group-b-and-group-w-whats-the-difference/
- B) Use Security Only Updates:
- Alternatively, you can manually download the "Security Only" updates made to satisfy businesses that demand privacy. As they are not available through Windows Update, the easiest way to do this is with the 3rd party tool WSUS Offline:
- Run UpdateGenerator.exe, check your OS version, and check "Use security only updates instead of quality rollups". Then click start. It will make a folder of all telemetry-free public updates, replacing the tainted rollups with security patches from the microsoft catalog. When it's done, go to the Client folder, run UpdateInstaller.exe, and follow the instructions till it's complete. Be sure to DISABLE automatic updates in Windows, and to UNCHECK all "Security Monthly Quality Rollups" if you ever use Windows Update. If you keep the folders WSUS creates, you can re-run the UpdateGenerator again in the future. It will remember your settings and only download new updates it's missing.
- >>>>> Preexisting Telemetry:
- In addition to either of the above, you can also run the Ancile Script, which will remove a known list of unwanted updates and preexisting telemetry services:
RAW Paste Data