Android Things Deprecated
a guest Dec 9th, 2018 363 Never
Not a member of Pastebin yet? Sign Up, it unlocks many cool features!
- I posted this in a question regarding Android Things but wanted to share this to a wider audience. If you are considering using Android Things, don't.
- So, I don't expect any of you to believe me. Throw away, for obvious reasons. My company bet big on Android Things, using it in production and selling to customers (even though there aren't technically production boards). Seller's agreement and everything.
- We found out that they are discontinuing public commercial support and bringing it all in house. They haven't given us a hard date, and haven't been responding to the many email and requests for follow up meetings (after we had the meeting where they told us this). So now we are scrambling to rewrite the previous several man years we used building around Android Things. Things like the OTA infrastructure, updates, etc.
- Needless to say, it's really hard to trust them. I am even more pissed off that they made this decision AND STILL HAVEN'T TOLD EVERYONE ABOUT THAT PLAN. So people are making product plans and they are going to be in for a world of hurt.
- So please, for the love of everything, don't plan around Android Things.
- Again, I know I am an anonymous voice on the internet, without any proof to offer given the NDA we are under. But yeah, save yourselves the heartache (and potential devastation if you are a startup).
RAW Paste Data