Old Nodecore Review
- # I really want to like this game... But it feels like a chore.
- I really do. I can tell that it's a labour of love, and deserves every positive review it has so far. I played it for almost 5 hours straight...
- But I felt like I wasted my time.
- This was my first Minetest game, and Nodecore's description, alone, was enough to convince me
- to give Minetest a shot. Nodecore fits the bill of a game I should like very well.
- The drive of the game doesn't come from having to survive or being forced to "do" anything- just the promise of deep, complex mechanics that are difficult, but fun to explore.
- That sounds great! And the first 2 hours were a lot of fun! I spent it learning how to climb walls, follow the stars,
- start fires and cut down trees. Minor spoilers ahead- they're necessary for the review.
- But then things slowed down. I'll give an example: concrete mixing. I wanted to build a house, so I followed a hint: "mix dirt and ash to make concrete". I spend an hour or two trying to figure out what "mixing" is, only to give up and check the wiki:
- > Put dirt on top of ash, pummel *the top*, but also surround the ash so that it doesn't split into chunks
- This incredible specificity, combined with the lack of any feedback as to what I was doing wrong, made it near impossible to figure things out.
- Discoveries don't feel like a-ha moments, they feel like "wait... seriously?" moments.
- It then turned out that following this hint did not help me at all. I can't pick up concrete after it sets. Before I can use concrete
- in my house, I need to learn to transport water. Then I read a hint... "build a glass tank"... Rinse and repeat.
- (glass tanks don't hold water, fyi)
- It was like this figuring out rakes, wooden planks, wooden tools, metal... Just pure trial and error, accomplishing little of my original goal.
- In short: This game explores some great ideas. It's convinced me that Minetest is worth my time, both as a gamer and as a programmer. But I can't see myself playing Nodecore again any time soon.
RAW Paste Data