- Julia Liuson promoted to President of the Microsoft Developer Division, which now
- includes GitHub
- The mission of the Microsoft Developer Division is to earn the trust and love of developers across
- all languages and platforms and make them successful as they build the applications of the
- future. DevDiv today includes our developer tools and services including Visual Studio, Visual
- Studio Code, NET and C#, TypeScript, and the OpenJDK. Our Azure Developer SDKs, as well
- as our Azure Application Development PaS and Serverless offerings (including our Azure App
- Services, Functions, Logic Apps, API Management, Dapr, Redis Cache, Spring Cloud services,
- etc.) are also part of this organization.
- I'm very pleased to announce the promotion of Julia Liuson to President, Microsoft Developer
- Division. As part of today's changes, Thomas Dohmke, CEO of GitHub, will report to Julia going
- forward, as will Julia's existing DevDiv reports.
- Julia has been instrumental in Microsoft's adoption of open source, and in the transformation of
- Microsoft's developer strategy. As the leader of DevDiv, she helped guide the open sourcing of
- -NET (which now runs on every major OS platform), as well as the creation and open sourcing of
- Visual Studio Code (now the most popular development tool in the world). She initiated our deep
- engagement with the Python community, including hiring Python creator Guido van Rossum to
- Microsoft, and her team now delivers the most widely used Python developer tooling in the world
- (with VS and VS Code) as well as delivers runtime performance for the broader Python
- community. She started the OpenJDK effort at Microsoft, which is now used broadly to run Java
- workloads on Azure. And over the last 9 months she has led our Azure Application Developer
- PaS and Serverless offerings and has helped drive to make these services great for developers
- using all languages, tools, and platforms.
- Under Julia's leadership, the Developer Division team has undergone a significant cultural
- transformation and is guided by consistent cultural values: diversity & inclusion, customer
- obsession, data-driven, and quality-driven. The pervasiveness of these culture attributes is
- evident through the success of products like Visual Studio and Visual Studio Code, which have
- experienced more than 16x usage growth since 2014 (and are now used by the majority of
- developers in the world).
- I deeply admire how committed Julia is to team culture, mentorship, and how she helps generate
- opportunities for others to succeed. She is an avid supporter of MakeCode (which is also built by
- her team) as an investment to help kids learn programming and pursue computer science in earty
- education. Julia was one of the first women at Microsoft to be promoted to Corporate Vice
- President of Engineering leading development teams at Microsoft, and she is a mentor and
- sponsor to women and men across Microsoft today. She received the Asian American Executive
- of the Year award in 2013 and was inducted into the Women in Technology International Hall of
- Fame in 2019.
- Please join me in thanking Julia for the outstanding leadership she provides, and in congratulating
- her on the well-deserved promotion and expanded remit.
RAW Paste Data Copied