- ---------- Forwarded message ----------
- From: "Shoma Chaudhury" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: 20 Nov 2013 19:03
- Subject: FW: Atonement
- To: "Editors" <email@example.com>
- Cc: "Bureau" <Bureau@tehelka.com>
- Dear All,
- This may come as a rude surprise to many of you. There is a letter from Tarun appended to this mail. There has been an untoward incident, and though he has extended an unconditional apology to the colleague involved, Tarun will be recusing himself as the editor of Tehelka for the next six months.
- Tehelka is an institution he has built, and which many journalists both current and former, have contributed to in the most profound ways. Throughout our 13-year career, we have proudly articulated and tried to live by the highest standards. We have also believed that when there is a mistake or lapse of any kind, one can only respond with right thought and action. In keeping with this stated principle, and the collective values we live by, Tarun will be stepping down for the period mentioned.
- This is a hard time for all of us, and I hope all of you will stand by the institution.
- -----Original Message-----
- From: Tarun J Tejpal [mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org]
- Sent: Wednesday, November 20, 2013 2:58 PM
- To: Shoma Chaudhury
- Subject: Atonement
- My dear Shoma,
- The last few days have been most testing, and I squarely take the blame for this. A bad lapse of judgment, an awful misreading of the situation, have led to an unfortunate incident that rails against all we believe in and fight for.
- I have already unconditionally apologised for my misconduct to the concerned journalist, but I feel impelled to atone further. Tehelka has been born and built, day on day, with my blood, toil, tears and sweat, and that of many others, against near-insurmountable odds. It has lived for and fought the big battles of our time, always on the side of the oppressed and the wronged, always on the side of equity and justice. Its voice has travelled the world and changed policy and perceptions. It has been a beacon for those who would do the right thing.
- Through bad, and worse, times I have protected Tehelka and its journalists from the inevitable demands of power and corporations. I have always allowed every journalist's sense of the right to flower and express itself. No one has ever been asked to do what they don't believe in.
- I have always held that Tehelka the institution, and its work, have always been infinitely more important than any of us individuals. It is tragic, therefore, that in a lapse of judgment I have hurt our own high principles. Because it involves Tehelka, and a sterling shared legacy, I feel atonement cannot be just words. I must do the penance that lacerates me. I am therefore offering to recuse myself from the editorship of Tehelka, and from the Tehelka office, for the next six months.
- You have always been stellar, Shoma, and even as I apologise to you and all my other colleagues, for this unfortunate incident, I leave Tehelka in your more than capable and safe hands.
- In apology,
- Sent from BlackBerry(r) on Airtel
a guest Nov 20th, 2013 30,034 Never
Not a member of Pastebin yet? Sign Up, it unlocks many cool features!
RAW Paste Data