Press Release: FRIDAY - CPS Students "Go Zombie"!
- Chicago Student Union | email@example.com
- MEDIA ALERT
- FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
- Follow @heho_aveee and @OCPress on twitter for updates and photos
- Student Zombie March
- Friday, Nov. 1st, 4pm, CPS HQ, 125 S Clark, march to City Hall
- FRIDAY: CPS Students “Go Zombie” at CPS Headquarters and City Hall to Protest Death of Chicago Public Education
- Chicago 10/30: This Friday, November 1st, Chicago Public School students will be “going zombie” to represent the death of Chicago’s public education system. They will march at 4pm from CPS Headquarters, at 125 S. Clark St., to City Hall where they will request a meeting with Mayor Emanuel. They are demanding that CPS funding given to charter schools be re-allocated to public schools, a democratically elected board of education, and that the TIF surplus be used for public education.
- “Chicago Public Schools has not been supporting the students of Chicago lately. Instead of gaining an education these students are risking their lives on dangerous walks to new, more distant schools. The children who attend these CPS schools have been left to choose between their education and their own safety,” says Nidalis Burgos, Sophomore at Lincoln Park High School and member of the Chicago Student Union.
- It's clear what Rahm Emanuel's ‘ideal Chicago’ looks like – a city without real public education, says the Chicago Student Union. Chicago is becoming the hub for privatization in the Midwest, and students will not stay quiet while funds dedicated to their education are being spent in the private sector. These ridiculous investments are killing the students! We have become zombies within the classroom! It's time for the student voice to be heard.
- Students from over 10 Chicago Public Schools are organizing under the banner of the Chicago Student Union, a student-led organization dedicated to amplifying student voice and engaging students in educational activism.
- Previous Releases:
- 7/24/13: CPS Students Stage Direct Action at Board of Ed: http://pastebin.com/2RJvP7Mb
- 7/23/13: Students Speak Out at Board of Ed Meeting: http://pastebin.com/U34K2qDB
- - END -
- Release sent in solidarity by @OCPress on behalf of the Chicago Student Union
RAW Paste Data