Ubuntu "mini.iso" Minimal Install .ISO for 20.04 LTS (HTTPS)
a guest Apr 25th, 2020 519 Never
Not a member of Pastebin yet? Sign Up, it unlocks many cool features!
- --- Before You Begin ---
- This copy/pasta is in HTML format. Save to an HTML format, then load the file into your favorite web browser. I am too busy to reformat it in plain text.
- --- / ---
- <b>* If You Are Looking For The Ubuntu "mini.iso" Minimal Install .ISO for 20.04 LTS...</b>
- == Then Read Further ==
- I prefer using the mini.iso, <i>but they moved it to a legacy directory.</i> You can use the path on their downloads server, which appears to be HTTP only, or you can get an HTTPS connection to download it. Here is an example, from a mirror:
- == <a href="https://mirrors.edge.kernel.org/ubuntu/dists/focal/main/installer-amd64/current/legacy-images/netboot/">Directory</a> ==
- == <a href="https://mirrors.edge.kernel.org/ubuntu/dists/focal/main/installer-amd64/current/legacy-images/netboot/mini.iso">mini.iso</a>, The File Itself ==
- == <a href="https://mirrors.edge.kernel.org/ubuntu/dists/focal/main/installer-amd64/current/legacy-images/">Checksums, GPG signatures, Files List, Directory</a> ==
- == <a href="
- https://mirrors.edge.kernel.org/ubuntu/dists/focal/main/installer-amd64/current/legacy-images/SHA256SUMS">Checksums</a>, <a href="https://mirrors.edge.kernel.org/ubuntu/dists/focal/main/installer-amd64/current/legacy-images/SHA256SUMS.gpg">GPG signatures</a>, <a href="https://mirrors.edge.kernel.org/ubuntu/dists/focal/main/installer-amd64/current/legacy-images/udeb.list">Files List</a>, *My preference* ==
- == Why? ==
- Since they've moved mini.iso to a <i>"legacy" directory</i>, I would guess they plan to discontinue the mini.iso install method sometime in the future?
- == Why would I want this? A mini.iso file? ==
- If you don't know, it's probably not for you.
- == Fix for a possible problem install ==
- A user on Reddit experienced a problem <a href="https://www.reddit.com/r/Ubuntu/comments/g2itbj/tried_to_find_miniiso_for_ubuntu_2004_beta_and/">in this thread</a>:
- "after what seemed to be successful installation, I don't get login prompt at all. Seems everything is loaded, but there is no prompt"
- to which a user replied with the apparent fix:
- "I fixed it, here's how: even if there's no prompt ALT-F2 works (switching to single-user mode), then you can login, and installed KDE with "sudo apt install kde-plasma-desktop", and next time it booted I got KDE login screen." (this assumes you want KDE Plasma Desktop installed. You could probably substitute this with a different desktop file, or you may not experience the problem in which case these final details are not useful for you.)
- BTW, as of this posting date, the locations on Ubuntu's Help/Wiki pages are URLs for older versions of this file, should you seek out more information about the mini.iso files from these areas on their website. Many places across the web are also likely to link you to versions older than 20.04 LTS, with a different directory location/layout.
- Please share this information with others, seed via BitTorrent if you want, and enjoy the Ubuntu 20.04 LTS mini.iso (Minimal Install) while the option is still available.
RAW Paste Data