SHARE
TWEET

Diaspora Community CodeChat 08-27-2012

DeadSuperHero Aug 27th, 2012 368 Never
Not a member of Pastebin yet? Sign Up, it unlocks many cool features!
  1. Aug 27 12:04:12 <DeadSuperHero> Okay, it's that time!
  2. Aug 27 12:04:16 <maxwell>       ok
  3. Aug 27 12:04:19 <DeadSuperHero> flaburgan, best get started. ;)
  4. Aug 27 12:04:22 *       mathis____ (54dfcc86@gateway/web/freenode/ip.84.223.204.134) has joined #diaspora-meeting
  5. Aug 27 12:04:24 <maxwell>       thanks everyone for coming
  6. Aug 27 12:04:50 *       rich_ (5222c5fc@gateway/web/freenode/ip.82.34.197.252) has joined #diaspora-meeting
  7. Aug 27 12:04:53 <maxwell>       so its now been over two years since we started d*
  8. Aug 27 12:04:55 <flaburgan>     DeadSuperHero: thx
  9. Aug 27 12:05:05 *       bluebirch (~skalman@h85-30-13-139.dynamic.se.alltele.net) has joined #diaspora-meeting
  10. Aug 27 12:05:10 <maxwell>       it all started with grippi sofaer and ilyaz and myself eating pizza in our office at nyu
  11. Aug 27 12:05:20 <maxwell>       really doing something that we thought was scratching our own itch
  12. Aug 27 12:05:21 *       shmerl (cfda4719@gateway/web/freenode/ip.207.218.71.25) has joined #diaspora-meeting
  13. Aug 27 12:05:26 *       diasp (~diasp@mnch-5d85bf53.pool.mediaWays.net) has joined #diaspora-meeting
  14. Aug 27 12:05:40 <maxwell>       we basically had no idea anyone would care about something we were doing for fun.  
  15. Aug 27 12:05:56 <maxwell>       we thought it might be a fun experiment to raise a little bit of money, so we could hack for the summer.
  16. Aug 27 12:06:00 *       Inyan_ (5b22c4b4@gateway/web/freenode/ip.91.34.196.180) has joined #diaspora-meeting
  17. Aug 27 12:06:03 <maxwell>       as they say, the rest is history
  18. Aug 27 12:06:06 <maxwell>       :)
  19. Aug 27 12:06:16 *       Inyan has quit (Ping timeout: 245 seconds)
  20. Aug 27 12:06:20 *       titanous (~titanous@unaffiliated/titanous) has joined #diaspora-meeting
  21. Aug 27 12:06:27 *       ghosthand (~meredith@ool-182c6354.dyn.optonline.net) has joined #diaspora-meeting
  22. Aug 27 12:06:46 <maxwell>       for me personally, its been a crazy two years.  I never knew that sometimes my friends and I created could come to mean so much to so many people
  23. Aug 27 12:07:04 <maxwell>       We are so proud of what diaspora has become.  
  24. Aug 27 12:07:05 *       mathis__ has quit (Ping timeout: 245 seconds)
  25. Aug 27 12:07:28 *       raven24 claps hands
  26. Aug 27 12:07:32 <maxwell>       the thing that has been really amazing however, is this point, is that d* mean so much to other people.
  27. Aug 27 12:07:52 <goob>  Yes, it does mean a lot, what it could become.
  28. Aug 27 12:08:00 <maxwell>       i don't think we really knew that would happen, when we started
  29. Aug 27 12:08:14 *       rj45 (453c4545@gateway/web/freenode/ip.69.60.69.69) has joined #diaspora-meeting
  30. Aug 27 12:08:15 <maxwell>       but right now, we think that we have to reflect this reality in the project itself
  31. Aug 27 12:08:27 <maxwell>       so the purpose of this meeting today is that we are giving the code to the d* community who loves it so
  32. Aug 27 12:08:32 <shmerl>        maxwell: Didn't you have far reaching plans to create FB alternative?
  33. Aug 27 12:08:43 <shmerl>        It didn't sound like a hackish project.
  34. Aug 27 12:08:45 *       thiriel has quit (Ping timeout: 245 seconds)
  35. Aug 27 12:09:01 <maxwell>       so let this be an announcement that we are stepping forward and say, we are going to be creating some community governace
  36. Aug 27 12:09:15 <maxwell>       so the thousands of people who love d* around the world can have a better say in what features are developed
  37. Aug 27 12:09:44 <goob>  OK, how will this work?
  38. Aug 27 12:09:45 <Bugsbane>      Let anarchy reign! \o/
  39. Aug 27 12:09:47 <maxwell>       and what the priorities are
  40. Aug 27 12:09:52 <maxwell>       no, actually
  41. Aug 27 12:09:58 <maxwell>       so DeadSuperHero is going to spearhead this
  42. Aug 27 12:10:02 <flaburgan>     maxwell: congratulation ! it is a hard decision
  43. Aug 27 12:10:13 <maxwell>       he has some ideas for some basic governance structure.
  44. Aug 27 12:10:22 <maxwell>       they are really quite solid
  45. Aug 27 12:10:49 <maxwell>       so sean is going to spear head this, and he has the full cooperation of daniel and i
  46. Aug 27 12:10:57 *       thiriel (bdd21790@gateway/web/freenode/ip.189.210.23.144) has joined #diaspora-meeting
  47. Aug 27 12:11:03 <maxwell>       d* means so much to so many people, but we need your help in stepping it up and making it all it can be
  48. Aug 27 12:11:12 <flaburgan>     "full cooperation" means that you're still working on it ?
  49. Aug 27 12:11:22 <maxwell>       yeah, we are the founders. we are not going away
  50. Aug 27 12:11:23 <goob>  Does this mean that you and Dan will be focusing on Makrio rather than D*?
  51. Aug 27 12:11:28 <maxwell>       we are part of the community
  52. Aug 27 12:11:47 <maxwell>       we work on makr.io because it is us scratching our own itchs
  53. Aug 27 12:11:52 *       twain_ (4d07d2e8@gateway/web/freenode/ip.77.7.210.232) has joined #diaspora-meeting
  54. Aug 27 12:11:52 <flaburgan>     maxwell: i could understand that after two years you want to start something else
  55. Aug 27 12:12:14 <maxwell>       musicians  can be in multiple bands at the same time
  56. Aug 27 12:12:17 <maxwell>       i think of it like that
  57. Aug 27 12:12:24 <goob>  Yes, fair enough that you needed some time out. As long as D* is still central to your thinking (I hope).
  58. Aug 27 12:12:46 <goob>  But should be good if the community is more in charge of the future of D*.
  59. Aug 27 12:13:10 <maxwell>       if d* is to succeed, we need more than just dan and I to be the sole decsion makers
  60. Aug 27 12:13:11 <herzmeister>   better than a hostile takeover by the community i guess :·>
  61. Aug 27 12:13:12 <Bugsbane>      Starting up anything serious is tough. Keeping at it tougher. Keeping at it under huge public scrutinty, well... I think we all understand.
  62. Aug 27 12:13:28 <Bugsbane>      We all need a change sometimes.
  63. Aug 27 12:13:43 <maxwell>       we are not going away
  64. Aug 27 12:13:56 *       opesr (4686518d@gateway/web/freenode/ip.70.134.81.141) has joined #diaspora-meeting
  65. Aug 27 12:13:57 <goob>  Do you have details of how community governance will work, or is this a discussion to be had now?
  66. Aug 27 12:13:59 <opesr> hello
  67. Aug 27 12:13:59 <maxwell>       the time has come for d* to come into its own
  68. Aug 27 12:14:02 <maxwell>       hey
  69. Aug 27 12:14:08 <DeadSuperHero> goob, yes, I will outline it.
  70. Aug 27 12:14:13 <maxwell>       actually, I think DeadSuperHero can elaboroate
  71. Aug 27 12:14:14 <maxwell>       yes
  72. Aug 27 12:14:16 <maxwell>       we have a plan :)
  73. Aug 27 12:14:17 <jaywink>       excellent news guys, waiting to see what proposals sean has
  74. Aug 27 12:14:24 <goob>  A cunning plan?
  75. Aug 27 12:14:30 <DeadSuperHero> Yes.
  76. Aug 27 12:14:31 <maxwell>       DeadSuperHero: is always cunning
  77. Aug 27 12:14:43 <opesr> is there an overview or bulleted outline of what some of the proposals today are?
  78. Aug 27 12:15:02 <maxwell>       give him some time to type fellas :)
  79. Aug 27 12:15:07 <DeadSuperHero> Yes, I will be posting them to the wiki and sharing it around shortly.
  80. Aug 27 12:15:10 <DeadSuperHero> The basic gist
  81. Aug 27 12:15:18 <DeadSuperHero> is that it will center around developers working on what they want to work on
  82. Aug 27 12:15:22 <DeadSuperHero> and collaborating together.
  83. Aug 27 12:15:28 *       himan (55d226cb@gateway/web/freenode/ip.85.210.38.203) has joined #diaspora-meeting
  84. Aug 27 12:15:38 <raven24>       needz moar devs
  85. Aug 27 12:15:43 <DeadSuperHero> It's a very team-centric idea, but the concept is that community governance can emerge from people doing what they love and taking each other's needs into consideration.
  86. Aug 27 12:15:43 <KevinKleinman> ^
  87. Aug 27 12:15:54 <goob>  Excellent. Sounds like a good plan.
  88. Aug 27 12:15:55 <DeadSuperHero> Community devs helping community devs.
  89. Aug 27 12:16:07 *       tobs_ (4b10e8c4@gateway/web/freenode/ip.75.16.232.196) has joined #diaspora-meeting
  90. Aug 27 12:16:11 <goob>  Would be good to get back some of the devs lost during  D*'s down time.
  91. Aug 27 12:16:11 <opesr> will this involve volunteer developers such as a CfA / code for america styled effort?
  92. Aug 27 12:16:19 <opesr> or fellowship styled effort?
  93. Aug 27 12:16:32 *       Otomo has quit (Quit: Page closed)
  94. Aug 27 12:16:33 <DeadSuperHero> opesr, it's possible.
  95. Aug 27 12:16:34 *       monwa (4db0e422@gateway/web/freenode/ip.77.176.228.34) has joined #diaspora-meeting
  96. Aug 27 12:16:44 <DeadSuperHero> Currently, the focus will be on just empowering the developers we already have.
  97. Aug 27 12:17:00 <raven24>       I already feel empowered :P
  98. Aug 27 12:17:02 <DeadSuperHero> But I'm very open to exploring new avenues to keeping the focus on community collaboration.
  99. Aug 27 12:17:11 <maxwell>       raven24: thats because you are a mega stud
  100. Aug 27 12:17:15 <raven24>       lool
  101. Aug 27 12:17:29 <altruism>      Dead: Any role models for this community governace? (other software projects)
  102. Aug 27 12:17:30 *       morgenstern has quit (Ping timeout: 245 seconds)
  103. Aug 27 12:17:33 <jaywink>       DeadSuperHero, what about decision making - to stop things slipping in to chaos? :)
  104. Aug 27 12:17:38 <maxwell>       all of these great ideas should be considered once we get some foundation stuff laid down
  105. Aug 27 12:17:46 <DeadSuperHero> of course.
  106. Aug 27 12:17:48 *       TakinOver (~quassel@pool-96-247-122-202.lsanca.fios.verizon.net) has joined #diaspora-meeting
  107. Aug 27 12:17:57 <goob>  I'd like to be involved in non-dev stuff as can't code for toffee.
  108. Aug 27 12:18:00 <DeadSuperHero> altruism, the model for governance will emerege from communiy-driven teams.
  109. Aug 27 12:18:14 <goob>  Meaning could be documentation, ideas and so on.
  110. Aug 27 12:18:14 <KevinKleinman> But how is future developer input going to be different from past developer contributions?
  111. Aug 27 12:18:15 <maxwell>       jaywink: I'm sure DeadSuperHero would appreciate your help and input
  112. Aug 27 12:18:20 <jaywink>       maxwell, sure, things need to go slowly
  113. Aug 27 12:18:24 <DeadSuperHero> KevinKleinman, communication. ;)
  114. Aug 27 12:18:27 *       bbartlett (~pants@c-98-237-179-245.hsd1.wa.comcast.net) has joined #diaspora-meeting
  115. Aug 27 12:18:32 <opesr> one of the things we enjoy at opesr is the ability to remain inside diasp.org and choose levels of distribution, but also retain the ability to have our posts go "outside" such as public to twitter for those who don't have diasp or might want to link back into a public post from twitter even if they don't have a diasp account.
  116. Aug 27 12:18:38 <DeadSuperHero> I will be leveraging DiasporaHQ and the mailing lists to highlight the needs of developers that want to work on features.
  117. Aug 27 12:18:39 <altruism>      Dead: the short answer was "no" :)
  118. Aug 27 12:18:45 *       alienhunter3010 has quit (Ping timeout: 245 seconds)
  119. Aug 27 12:18:56 *       taratatach (~Taratatac@AGrenoble-652-1-196-62.w92-129.abo.wanadoo.fr) has joined #diaspora-meeting
  120. Aug 27 12:19:49 *       Allvoxman (5807fd37@gateway/web/freenode/ip.88.7.253.55) has joined #diaspora-meeting
  121. Aug 27 12:19:51 <TakinOver>     Does this mean that the keys to the master branch will be handed to a community member?
  122. Aug 27 12:19:55 <DeadSuperHero> jaywink, opening up will take some time, but the focus on commincating with developers, podmins, and enthusiasts is going to be much more community-driven than in the past.
  123. Aug 27 12:20:02 <DeadSuperHero> TakinOver, technically, it already is.
  124. Aug 27 12:20:11 <maxwell>       TakinOver: lots of community have keys to the castle
  125. Aug 27 12:20:17 <maxwell>       *community devs
  126. Aug 27 12:20:17 *       leoo (bde74832@gateway/web/freenode/ip.189.231.72.50) has joined #diaspora-meeting
  127. Aug 27 12:20:33 <DeadSuperHero> We've also already taken quite a few preliminary steps to help the community.
  128. Aug 27 12:20:49 <DeadSuperHero> maxwell released a new deployment tool for setting up a Diaspora pod on Heroku last week.
  129. Aug 27 12:20:57 <opesr> who should we follow from the opesr account in diasp.org to track this issue with respect to ongoing posts about it?
  130. Aug 27 12:21:09 *       leonel (~leonel@189.231.72.50) has joined #diaspora-meeting
  131. Aug 27 12:21:12 <DeadSuperHero> If you've seen joindiaspora.com's frontpage, it focuses now on community drive.
  132. Aug 27 12:21:19 <DeadSuperHero> opesr, just follow DiasporaHQ.
  133. Aug 27 12:21:21 <DeadSuperHero> ;)
  134. Aug 27 12:21:32 <opesr> ok DiasporaHQ it is
  135. Aug 27 12:21:32 *       Skalman (skalman@shaka.acc.umu.se) has joined #diaspora-meeting
  136. Aug 27 12:21:35 <DeadSuperHero> We've also opened up signups on joindiaspora.com, so no one has to wait for invites anymore.
  137. Aug 27 12:21:37 <opesr> ty all
  138. Aug 27 12:21:37 *       leoo has quit (Client Quit)
  139. Aug 27 12:21:56 <DeadSuperHero> We've opened up Pivotal Tracker for our community devs that would like to work a little more closely together.
  140. Aug 27 12:21:57 <maxwell>       yea, this is something we really want to do, it could be said, we should have done it sooner, but so it goes
  141. Aug 27 12:21:58 *       opesr has quit (Quit: Page closed)
  142. Aug 27 12:21:59 *       anneau2fer (d4f337ea@gateway/web/freenode/ip.212.243.55.234) has joined #diaspora-meeting
  143. Aug 27 12:22:06 <DeadSuperHero> You can check it out here: https://www.pivotaltracker.com/projects/61641#
  144. Aug 27 12:22:25 *       LokeRundt (~mikael@84.247.140.53) has joined #diaspora-meeting
  145. Aug 27 12:22:31 <raven24>       oh nice joindiaspora.com frontpage ... haven't seen it yet
  146. Aug 27 12:22:42 <DeadSuperHero> Our build is green, we have tools to help with making D* easier to deploy, and I'm in the process of cleaning up our GitHub issues and moving the high-ranking bugs into Pivotal Tracker.
  147. Aug 27 12:23:19 <shmerl>        But Github should be still used for general bugs filing?
  148. Aug 27 12:23:20 *       tobs_ has quit (Quit: Page closed)
  149. Aug 27 12:23:23 <DeadSuperHero> shmerl, yes.
  150. Aug 27 12:23:34 <DeadSuperHero> GitHub issues is very low-barrier for entry, and very easy to use.
  151. Aug 27 12:23:36 <jaywink>       don't open all keys to master plz ;)
  152. Aug 27 12:23:39 <jaywink>       DeadSuperHero, practical things, could you do some sort of communication or wiki post on how the team has been using the pivotal tracker?
  153. Aug 27 12:23:40 <jaywink>       it's kinda overwhelming for someone who doesn't know what should be done there
  154. Aug 27 12:23:40 <DeadSuperHero> PT is more for collaborating and claiming fixes.
  155. Aug 27 12:23:50 <DeadSuperHero> jaywink, of course. :)
  156. Aug 27 12:23:53 *       sams (4b10e8c4@gateway/web/freenode/ip.75.16.232.196) has joined #diaspora-meeting
  157. Aug 27 12:23:59 <maxwell>       jaywink: i think raven24 posted a great link on getting started with PT
  158. Aug 27 12:24:11 <maxwell>       it may be that another tool might be better for community org
  159. Aug 27 12:24:24 <maxwell>       if thats the case, we can all agree on something better
  160. Aug 27 12:24:31 <DeadSuperHero> But for now, the goal was simply to open up what we've been using internally.
  161. Aug 27 12:24:37 <raven24>       yeah, essentially if you click the "help" link on PT and look for "getting started" there is a video explaining the basic usage
  162. Aug 27 12:24:51 <DeadSuperHero> If the community needs something better in the future, we can all sit down and figure something out.
  163. Aug 27 12:25:01 <jaywink>       sure, cool
  164. Aug 27 12:25:17 <flaburgan>     DeadSuperHero: will it be a roadmap that community developers are encouraged to use or everyone will work on what they want ?
  165. Aug 27 12:25:27 <maxwell>       we need to make one
  166. Aug 27 12:25:34 <maxwell>       i think that will be a meeting to have sooner rather than later
  167. Aug 27 12:25:36 <DeadSuperHero> flaburgan, initially it will be developers working on what they want, but there will also be an overreaching roadmap.
  168. Aug 27 12:25:37 <goob>  I'm all for the project becoming more open source again. This sounds positive (to this non-dev).
  169. Aug 27 12:25:46 <shmerl>        Roadmap is good.
  170. Aug 27 12:25:50 <flaburgan>     I think it's really important to focus on a great protocole at the beginning
  171. Aug 27 12:25:58 <DeadSuperHero> Ideally, I think it's good to adjust the roadmap over time to accomodate those that are working on new features and implementations and ideas.
  172. Aug 27 12:26:08 *       Myth (c70f9a18@gateway/web/freenode/ip.199.15.154.24) has joined #diaspora-meeting
  173. Aug 27 12:26:10 <himan> Roadmap is good!
  174. Aug 27 12:26:47 <DeadSuperHero> The point is, we want to take D* further, and we can't do that with just a small team working on it internally and making all the decisions.
  175. Aug 27 12:27:05 <DeadSuperHero> Community governance is a benefit of most FOSS projects, and we would like to bring that benefit to our users and developers.
  176. Aug 27 12:27:11 <flaburgan>     because if you fix federation, you can make a simple API and after that, more people will works for d*
  177. Aug 27 12:27:32 <jaywink>       DeadSuperHero, + this decision gives you guys more flexibility to do other projects like makr.io without facing angry D* users ;)
  178. Aug 27 12:27:39 <raven24>       * about that, I was thinking about extracting federation to a gem/rails engine
  179. Aug 27 12:27:52 <DeadSuperHero> jaywink, it isn't just about working on other projects.
  180. Aug 27 12:27:58 <DeadSuperHero> We're doing this because we feel it's the right thing to do.
  181. Aug 27 12:28:09 <jaywink>       DeadSuperHero, that is good to hear :)
  182. Aug 27 12:28:35 <DeadSuperHero> The idea of a decentralized social web, to this day, captures the imaginations of many of our community devs and users over what D* can be. Over what the decentralized web can be.
  183. Aug 27 12:28:43 <goob>  Good point from jaywink, if the community is pushing forward D* development, Maxwell and Dan can take time for other projects if they need to and D* won't suffer.
  184. Aug 27 12:28:45 <DeadSuperHero> We would like to empower you, the people, to take it further and explore.
  185. Aug 27 12:29:19 <Inyan_>        sounds good for me..
  186. Aug 27 12:29:19 <DeadSuperHero> I think D* has a lot of growing left to do. ;)
  187. Aug 27 12:29:24 <diasp> Diaspora is copyright Diaspora Inc. -> any changes?
  188. Aug 27 12:29:32 <raven24>       agpl
  189. Aug 27 12:29:34 <jaywink>       goob, first of course we need more community devs - code doesn't write itself. But at least now there is less pretence to blame others, the community needs to blame itself if nothing happens
  190. Aug 27 12:29:34 <DeadSuperHero> It's still AGPLv3
  191. Aug 27 12:29:39 <maxwell>       diasp: we need to step through this
  192. Aug 27 12:29:45 <maxwell>       we want to put it in the right place
  193. Aug 27 12:29:54 <maxwell>       so if we have to set up a holding org thats community run
  194. Aug 27 12:29:56 <maxwell>       we can do that
  195. Aug 27 12:30:09 <maxwell>       i am open to stepping through the problem space and figure out the right course of acton
  196. Aug 27 12:30:14 *       Skalman is now known as antireduction
  197. Aug 27 12:30:19 <shmerl>        May be a diaspora foundation or something.
  198. Aug 27 12:30:24 <maxwell>       yes
  199. Aug 27 12:30:32 <raven24>       what is mozilla, foundation, no?
  200. Aug 27 12:30:45 <maxwell>       moz is really complicated
  201. Aug 27 12:30:45 <DeadSuperHero> a non-profit foundation, I believe.
  202. Aug 27 12:30:45 <shmerl>        They have 2 things.
  203. Aug 27 12:30:48 <shmerl>        A non profit and a company
  204. Aug 27 12:30:50 <DeadSuperHero> Right.
  205. Aug 27 12:30:51 <maxwell>       its a non profit that owns a for profit
  206. Aug 27 12:30:52 <bbartlett>     hey all
  207. Aug 27 12:30:55 <jaywink>       foundation would be great but it shouldn't be a priority imho - let's try to engage more users and get more lively first
  208. Aug 27 12:30:56 <TakinOver>     I think setting up a community-based org is the best choice.
  209. Aug 27 12:31:00 <shmerl>        Right
  210. Aug 27 12:31:08 *       antireduction thinks what he reads sounds promising
  211. Aug 27 12:31:10 <maxwell>       the point is, I am open to what needs to happen
  212. Aug 27 12:31:29 <maxwell>       but i don't want to over burden us with process if we can all continue forward in good faith
  213. Aug 27 12:31:39 <maxwell>       which hopefully we all have :)
  214. Aug 27 12:31:41 <diasp> ok federation first ;-)
  215. Aug 27 12:32:01 <goob>  Will discussion on the best way forward take place here, or on another forum? (Don't want to miss out.)
  216. Aug 27 12:32:13 <maxwell>       not right here right ow
  217. Aug 27 12:32:15 <raven24>       mailing list, i assume
  218. Aug 27 12:32:17 <TakinOver>     I think the nonprofit is important because it stops all the "D is 4PROFIT$" stuff.
  219. Aug 27 12:32:22 <maxwell>       i think sean will be publishing some posts, and mailing list
  220. Aug 27 12:32:26 <shmerl>        As an example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozilla_Corporation
  221. Aug 27 12:32:26 <DeadSuperHero> maxwell, correct.
  222. Aug 27 12:32:30 *       kapcom01 has quit (Ping timeout: 245 seconds)
  223. Aug 27 12:32:56 <DeadSuperHero> I think mailing lists are probably ideal for communication at this point, as far as community process discussions go.
  224. Aug 27 12:33:28 <DeadSuperHero> But yes, I will be open to input as well.
  225. Aug 27 12:33:37 <DeadSuperHero> We want to make this as smooth and seamless as we possibly can.
  226. Aug 27 12:33:45 <goob>  I'm still hitting the problem that I don't want to create a google account so am locked out of the mailing list. Is there an open-source mailing list somewhere we could use?
  227. Aug 27 12:33:49 <twain_>        in my opinion to get more developers its important to improve the documentation
  228. Aug 27 12:33:58 <DeadSuperHero> goob, you can subscribe to the mailing list without a Google Account.
  229. Aug 27 12:34:10 *       rich_ has quit (Quit: Page closed)
  230. Aug 27 12:34:11 *       marcusk (~mk@kennedy.acc.umu.se) has joined #diaspora-meeting
  231. Aug 27 12:34:13 <DeadSuperHero> twain_, actually, for documentation, I think a good starting point is to talk to all of the podmins out there.
  232. Aug 27 12:34:18 <DeadSuperHero> And see what they need.
  233. Aug 27 12:34:18 <Bugsbane>      Personally I prefer discussion on D* itself (mailing lists drive me crazy). Most dev's (from any project) seem to like them though...
  234. Aug 27 12:34:29 <raven24>       goob: https://github.com/diaspora/diaspora/wiki/How-to-use-the-Mailing-Lists
  235. Aug 27 12:34:37 <goob>  OK, sorry I mean I don't want to give google any of my email addresses or data.
  236. Aug 27 12:34:40 <jaywink>       I think the best that has happened now is the change to joindiaspora.com homepage :)
  237. Aug 27 12:35:01 <goob>  I'll see about setting up a one-time email address if it's the only possible forum.
  238. Aug 27 12:35:02 <raven24>       well, google indexes mailing lists everywhere (unless they're private)
  239. Aug 27 12:35:05 *       Inyan_ has quit (Quit: Page closed)
  240. Aug 27 12:35:08 <jaywink>       before it looked like a company run service - now it looks like something that has a community
  241. Aug 27 12:35:20 <paablo>        jaywink +1
  242. Aug 27 12:35:21 <shmerl>        goob: Google mailing list aren't any worse than other public ones.
  243. Aug 27 12:35:43 <shmerl>        I.e. stuff is open.
  244. Aug 27 12:35:46 <goob>  OK, don't want to side-track this discussion, thanks for replies.
  245. Aug 27 12:35:46 <himan> As a Diaspora user and with no knowledge of coding I see the project evolving nicely but I would like to know what the user interface will look like since this is the most important feature for non technical people who would like too draw their friends in from Facebook.
  246. Aug 27 12:35:48 *       HgO has quit (Quit: Page closed)
  247. Aug 27 12:35:51 <Bugsbane>      shmerl - It gives Google your IP address and everything, not just the content of the mailing list
  248. Aug 27 12:36:10 <DeadSuperHero> maxwell, any thoughts for himan ?
  249. Aug 27 12:36:30 *       herzmeister has quit (Quit: Page closed)
  250. Aug 27 12:36:31 <goob>  I would support the suggestion to have discussion on D* itself, though - any reason why not?
  251. Aug 27 12:36:31 <paablo>        @himan  yes would be interesting
  252. Aug 27 12:36:34 <raven24>       Bugsbane: don't you think they already have everyone's IP ;)
  253. Aug 27 12:36:45 <DeadSuperHero> goob, partially because sometimes posts still get lost in federation.
  254. Aug 27 12:36:52 <paablo>        @goob me too!
  255. Aug 27 12:36:55 <Bugsbane>      raven24: The vast majority, I agree. No need to give them more.
  256. Aug 27 12:36:59 <paablo>        thats right
  257. Aug 27 12:37:09 <shmerl>        Bugsbane: So your IP will be on some other list then. No difference, except to whom you trust more.
  258. Aug 27 12:37:10 <goob>  Oh yes, hadn't thought of that! Ha ha.
  259. Aug 27 12:37:36 <Bugsbane>      shmerl: I'd rather my data was distributed across multiple smaller players than all in the hands of one huge one
  260. Aug 27 12:37:39 <goob>  Well look, I really want to be involved, so I'll try to work with whatever is decided.
  261. Aug 27 12:37:45 *       paablo (~paul@c-746ae255.06-69-756d6513.cust.bredbandsbolaget.se) has left #diaspora-meeting
  262. Aug 27 12:37:48 <TakinOver>     Bugs: if you ever send mail to a gmail user, they have your IP and plenty of other info.
  263. Aug 27 12:37:50 *       anneau2fer has quit (Quit: Page closed)
  264. Aug 27 12:37:52 <DeadSuperHero> himan, because of the project now being community-driven, the interface could end up going through some significant changes in the future.
  265. Aug 27 12:38:05 <antireduction> himan: I actually don't think the user interface is cruicial. Google+ has a better interface than Facebook (imho), but that doesn't help. "Social" is where the people are. If everyone else use Facebook, I do too.
  266. Aug 27 12:38:07 <raven24>       about UI: I think we're quite OK the way it currently presents itself. just not overload it much more
  267. Aug 27 12:38:19 <raven24>       ;)
  268. Aug 27 12:38:27 <Bugsbane>      TakinOver: Yes. But them having some of my data is no argument for giving them more.
  269. Aug 27 12:38:37 <Bugsbane>      TakinOver: And we're getting off topic :)
  270. Aug 27 12:38:45 *       Z_Barg has quit (Ping timeout: 245 seconds)
  271. Aug 27 12:38:53 <TakinOver>     Bugsbane I agree. Back to the topic.
  272. Aug 27 12:38:55 <goob>  About UI: I love the current, minimailstic look. But it could end up with users being able to choose their UI from a variety of templates, so I don't think it's a critical issue.
  273. Aug 27 12:39:00 *       jgb (5b067230@gateway/web/freenode/ip.91.6.114.48) has joined #diaspora-meeting
  274. Aug 27 12:39:03 <shmerl>        Bugsbane: If you really care use Tor and etc. Otherise it's somewhat futile ;)
  275. Aug 27 12:39:04 <bbartlett>     Does Google Groups have better threading than D*?
  276. Aug 27 12:39:23 *       jgb is now known as Guest55502
  277. Aug 27 12:39:26 <antireduction> TakinOver: Anyone you send email too can read your IP address.
  278. Aug 27 12:39:30 <DeadSuperHero> goob, I think that allowing for a certain level of customization is important. How we implement that, or how that customization is going to be done, is currently up for discussion.
  279. Aug 27 12:40:07 <himan> The user interface defines the experience for non technical users and if they cannot work with it they will not care, and why should they?
  280. Aug 27 12:41:01 <monwa> will the content of this discussen be summarized in a blog article or something, its not easy to follow for a non nativ speaker
  281. Aug 27 12:41:05 <DeadSuperHero> monwa, yes.
  282. Aug 27 12:41:07 <rosanna>       as a designer, i agree that improving user interface and ux of D* is an important part of the project, and would like to help work on that, but lets save this for another discussion :)
  283. Aug 27 12:41:10 <raven24>       http://blog.diasporafoundation.org/2012/08/27/announcement-diaspora-will-now-be-a-community-project.html
  284. Aug 27 12:41:12 <rj45>  as a podmin i wish the federation where made into a library, it would be easier for web developers to create and modify user interfaces, protocol development is over my head
  285. Aug 27 12:41:26 <maxwell>       hey sorry phone
  286. Aug 27 12:41:30 <DeadSuperHero> rj45, that's actually something I've thought a lot about too.
  287. Aug 27 12:41:34 <maxwell>       hey
  288. Aug 27 12:41:53 <jaywink>       maxwell, DeadSuperHero, thanks for this guys, Diaspora* is something awesome and hopefully this announcement will engage more users to work on it as they feel they can have a bigger impact. Myself included, will surely be participating more. Need to finally get that pod up and running :) but got to go now, catch ya later all!
  289. Aug 27 12:41:56 <antireduction> Phone? Hey, turn off your phone when in meetings! :-)
  290. Aug 27 12:42:10 <DeadSuperHero> jaywink, <33333
  291. Aug 27 12:42:12 <maxwell>       hey before you all leave, I want to just give a shout out to Sean
  292. Aug 27 12:42:26 <maxwell>       he really helped make this all happen
  293. Aug 27 12:42:29 <DeadSuperHero> :3
  294. Aug 27 12:42:32 <TakinOver>     Sean's da man!
  295. Aug 27 12:42:37 <Bugsbane>      Yay, Sean! \o/
  296. Aug 27 12:42:38 <maxwell>       and if you could just ping him and tell him thanks
  297. Aug 27 12:42:41 <raven24>       woooo!
  298. Aug 27 12:42:41 <jaywink>       <3 Sean :)
  299. Aug 27 12:42:44 <Bugsbane>      <333
  300. Aug 27 12:42:46 <rj45>  go Sean!
  301. Aug 27 12:42:48 <maxwell>       thanks sean!
  302. Aug 27 12:42:49 <maxwell>       ok
  303. Aug 27 12:42:59 <maxwell>       so next steps, look out from some more from Sean this week
  304. Aug 27 12:42:59 <rosanna>       Sean <3
  305. Aug 27 12:43:03 <DeadSuperHero> Thanks so much, everyone.
  306. Aug 27 12:43:10 <goob>  Yes, Sean I've noticed some of the initiatives you've brought in recent weeks, and thanks for kickstarting development on D* again.
  307. Aug 27 12:43:14 <maxwell>       FYI, I am going to take a vacation and drive across country next weke
  308. Aug 27 12:43:15 <diasp> well done
  309. Aug 27 12:43:19 <bla_>  thank you for your great work, Sean!
  310. Aug 27 12:43:22 <maxwell>       so if I am quiet, it is not because i don't love you all
  311. Aug 27 12:43:24 <DeadSuperHero> Thank you, everyone.
  312. Aug 27 12:43:31 <Bugsbane>      maxwell: Have fun dude. You've earned it.
  313. Aug 27 12:43:35 <raven24>       maxwell: have a nice trip ;)
  314. Aug 27 12:43:36 <goob>  And thanks to Maxwell and Dan for opening the future of D* up to the community.
  315. Aug 27 12:43:40 <maxwell>       ok, we need your help
  316. Aug 27 12:43:43 <shmerl>        rosanna: Good idea, just announce when it'll be.
  317. Aug 27 12:43:46 <maxwell>       this is only the start,
  318. Aug 27 12:43:49 <maxwell>       !
  319. Aug 27 12:43:49 *       fer (ba99cfeb@gateway/web/freenode/ip.186.153.207.235) has joined #diaspora-meeting
  320. Aug 27 12:43:51 <DeadSuperHero> :)
  321. Aug 27 12:43:55 <rosanna>       sure thing shmerl
  322. Aug 27 12:44:18 *       acrylschaf cries some tears of cheer
  323. Aug 27 12:44:19 <DeadSuperHero> Thanks everybody, be sure to hit us up on the lists, through D* itself, and keep on keeping on.
  324. Aug 27 12:45:19 <maxwell>       ok, everyone have a good day
  325. Aug 27 12:45:19 *       sams__ (4b10e8c4@gateway/web/freenode/ip.75.16.232.196) has joined #diaspora-meeting
  326. Aug 27 12:45:19 *       monwa_ (4db0e422@gateway/web/freenode/ip.77.176.228.34) has joined #diaspora-meeting
  327. Aug 27 12:45:19 <rosanna>       see you guys later :)
  328. Aug 27 12:45:19 <DeadSuperHero> I'm off to go put logs up and share our announcement around.
  329. Aug 27 12:45:25 *       bla__ (b21a2455@gateway/web/freenode/ip.178.26.36.85) has joined #diaspora-meeting
  330. Aug 27 12:45:25 <bbartlett>     BTW, http://blog.diasporaproject.org/ is a dead link
  331. Aug 27 12:45:25 <antireduction> Good night! (It's 7:45pm here.)
  332. Aug 27 12:45:25 <bbartlett>     FYI
  333. Aug 27 12:45:25 <raven24>       bbartlett: where is it?
  334. Aug 27 12:45:25 *       shmerl_ (cfda4719@gateway/web/freenode/ip.207.218.71.25) has joined #diaspora-meeting
  335. Aug 27 12:45:25 <acrylschaf>    Aftershow party at my house! Made french fries for everyone. If you can live with two each.
  336. Aug 27 12:45:26 <bla__> it's blog.diasporafoundation.org
  337. Aug 27 12:45:32 <bbartlett>     Linked at the top menu of http://blog.diasporafoundation.org/
  338. Aug 27 12:45:47 <raven24>       ok, thanks
  339. Aug 27 12:46:04 <shmerl_>       Btw, are there meeting logs for this channel?
  340. Aug 27 12:46:13 <raven24>       shmerl_: will be in the wiki
  341. Aug 27 12:46:18 *       jdny has quit (Ping timeout: 245 seconds)
  342. Aug 27 12:46:19 <DeadSuperHero> shmerl, yes
  343. Aug 27 12:46:21 *       flaburgan has quit (Ping timeout: 245 seconds)
  344. Aug 27 12:46:24 <DeadSuperHero> let me get you the link
  345. Aug 27 12:46:25 *       DIYer (407b1696@gateway/web/freenode/ip.64.123.22.150) has joined #diaspora-meeting
  346. Aug 27 12:46:40 *       taratatach (~Taratatac@AGrenoble-652-1-196-62.w92-129.abo.wanadoo.fr) has left #diaspora-meeting
  347. Aug 27 12:46:48 *       goob_ (5219bb3d@gateway/web/freenode/ip.82.25.187.61) has joined #diaspora-meeting
  348. Aug 27 12:46:48 *       himan has quit (Ping timeout: 245 seconds)
  349. Aug 27 12:46:48 *       twain_ has quit (Ping timeout: 245 seconds)
  350. Aug 27 12:46:56 *       Arctic has quit (Ping timeout: 245 seconds)
  351. Aug 27 12:46:56 *       zeropoint has quit (Ping timeout: 245 seconds)
  352. Aug 27 12:46:56 *       misguided_ has quit (Ping timeout: 245 seconds)
  353. Aug 27 12:46:56 *       Arctic (4ff7402c@gateway/web/freenode/ip.79.247.64.44) has joined #diaspora-meeting
  354. Aug 27 12:47:01 <acrylschaf>    Just a quick question before everyone's seperating: whats about Tent, the freshly announced open social network protocol? Cool?
  355. Aug 27 12:47:01 *       alienhunter3010_ (5ea4d088@gateway/web/freenode/ip.94.164.208.136) has joined #diaspora-meeting
  356. Aug 27 12:47:14 *       sams has quit (Ping timeout: 245 seconds)
  357. Aug 27 12:47:21 *       thiriel has quit (Ping timeout: 245 seconds)
  358. Aug 27 12:47:21 *       rj45 has quit (Ping timeout: 245 seconds)
  359. Aug 27 12:47:21 *       mathis____ has quit (Ping timeout: 245 seconds)
  360. Aug 27 12:47:21 *       ranmaruhibikiya has quit (Ping timeout: 245 seconds)
  361. Aug 27 12:47:21 <raven24>       acrylschaf: link plz, also post on mailing list plz
  362. Aug 27 12:47:27 <DeadSuperHero> acrylschaf, I think it's worth looking into, at least.
  363. Aug 27 12:47:38 <DeadSuperHero> shmerl, https://github.com/diaspora/diaspora/wiki/Code-Chat
  364. Aug 27 12:47:41 <DeadSuperHero> There you go, buddy.
  365. Aug 27 12:47:42 <DeadSuperHero> :)
  366. Aug 27 12:47:42 <raven24>       (haven't heard of it yet)
  367. Aug 27 12:47:42 *       bla__ has quit (Client Quit)
  368. Aug 27 12:47:44 *       Makailija (~Maka@dsl-vsabrasgw1-fe6ffb00-27.dhcp.inet.fi) has left #diaspora-meeting ("Lähdössä")
  369. Aug 27 12:47:44 *       Myth (c70f9a18@gateway/web/freenode/ip.199.15.154.24) has left #diaspora-meeting
  370. Aug 27 12:47:44 <acrylschaf>    www.tent.io
  371. Aug 27 12:47:44 *       Guest55502 has quit (Ping timeout: 245 seconds)
  372. Aug 27 12:47:44 *       monwa has quit (Ping timeout: 245 seconds)
  373. Aug 27 12:47:44 *       voter has quit (Ping timeout: 245 seconds)
  374. Aug 27 12:47:44 *       bla_ has quit (Ping timeout: 245 seconds)
  375. Aug 27 12:47:44 *       Zeno has quit (Ping timeout: 245 seconds)
  376. Aug 27 12:47:47 *       alienhunter3010_ has quit (Client Quit)
  377. Aug 27 12:47:56 *       mathis (54dfcc86@gateway/web/freenode/ip.84.223.204.134) has joined #diaspora-meeting
  378. Aug 27 12:47:56 *       fer has quit (Ping timeout: 245 seconds)
  379. Aug 27 12:47:56 *       shmerl has quit (Ping timeout: 245 seconds)
  380. Aug 27 12:47:56 *       Bugsbane has quit (Ping timeout: 245 seconds)
  381. Aug 27 12:47:56 *       goob has quit (Ping timeout: 245 seconds)
  382. Aug 27 12:48:11 *       DIYer (407b1696@gateway/web/freenode/ip.64.123.22.150) has left #diaspora-meeting
  383. Aug 27 12:48:14 <acrylschaf>    Can't understand why everyone who's unhappy has to make their own thing... :/ the community is so divided!
  384. Aug 27 12:48:26 *       zeropoint (51b70f96@gateway/web/freenode/ip.81.183.15.150) has joined #diaspora-meeting
  385. Aug 27 12:49:48 <maxwell>       ok bye for now!
  386. Aug 27 12:49:56 *       maxwell has quit (Quit: maxwell)
  387. Aug 27 12:49:57 <shmerl_>       Thanks!
  388. Aug 27 12:49:57 *       mathis has quit (Client Quit)
  389. Aug 27 12:50:00 *       shmerl_ has quit (Client Quit)
  390. Aug 27 12:50:08 *       zeropoint (51b70f96@gateway/web/freenode/ip.81.183.15.150) has left #diaspora-meeting
  391. Aug 27 12:59:37 Python interface unloaded
  392. Aug 27 12:59:37 Messaging Indicator 0.3.10 plugin unloaded.
  393. Aug 27 12:59:37 Tcl interface unloaded
  394. **** ENDING LOGGING AT Mon Aug 27 12:59:37 2012
RAW Paste Data
We use cookies for various purposes including analytics. By continuing to use Pastebin, you agree to our use of cookies as described in the Cookies Policy. OK, I Understand
 
Top