a guest Oct 21st, 2017 53 Never
- Peter, Paul & Mary - Indian Sunset Lyrics
- Uploaded by LOVE4LYRICS at Pastebin.com
- As he awoke that evening with the smell of wood-smoke clinging
- Like a gentle cobweb hangin' upon a painted teepee
- He went to see his chieftain with his war lance and his woman
- for they told him that the yellow moon would very soon be leaving
- "Oh, this I can't believe, "he said, "I won't believe our war lord's dead!
- He would not leave the chosen ones to the buzzards and the soldiers' guns"
- Oh, great Father of the Iroquois, ever since I was young
- I've read the writing of the smoke and breast-fed on the sound of drums
- I've learned to hurl the tomahawk and ride a painted pony wild,
- To run the gauntlet of the Sioux, to make a chieftain's daughter mine
- And now you ask that I should watch the red men's race be slowly crushed?
- What kind of words are these to hear from Yellow Dog, whom the white man fears?
- I take only what is mine; my pony, my squaw, and my child
- I can't stay to see you die, along with my tribe's pride
- I go to search for the yellow moon and the fathers of our sons
- Where the red sun sinks in the hills of gold and the healing waters run
- Tramplin' down the prairie rose, leaving hooftracks in the sand
- Those who wish to follow me, I welcome with my hand
- I heard from passing renegades, Geronimo was dead
- He'd been laying down his weapons when they filled him full of lead
- Now there seems no reason why I should carry on
- In this land that once was my land I can't find a home
- It's lonely and it's quiet and the horse soldiers are comin'
- And I think it's time I strung my bow and ceased my senseless running
- For now I'll find the yellow moon along with my loved ones
- Where the buff'loes graze in the clover fields without the sound of guns
- And the red sun sinks at last into the hills of gold
- And peace to this young warrior comes with a bullet hole!
RAW Paste Data