White Beans and Ham
chill_dohc Oct 29th, 2019 264 Never
Not a member of Pastebin yet? Sign Up, it unlocks many cool features!
- White Beans and Ham. Version 3. As built Mar 3 2018
- - Used store bought hocks, plus ham from Jackie
- - The weights shown are descriptive, i.e. this is what it ended up being.
- 1 lb. dried Great Northern beans
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 qt. water
- All weights are pre-processing.
- 2 tsp (approx) bacon fat
- 1.73 lb. smoked ham hocks
- 1.20 lb. ham piece with bone (1 lb. 3.25 oz.)
- 0.55 lb. ham piece without bone (8.875 oz.)
- 2 Bay leaves
- Mirepoix for stock. All chopped coarse.
- 1 medium onion (6.875 oz., 0.43 lb.)
- 2 medium carrots (2.75 oz., 0.17 lb.)
- 1 medium stalk celery (2.375 oz., 0.15 lb.)
- Additional mirepoix for dish. All chopped coarse.
- 2 medium onions (11 oz., 0.69 lb.)
- 2 medium carrots (4.25 oz., 0.26 lb.)
- 2 medium stalks celery (4.25 oz., 0.26 lb.)
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 3 Tbsp bacon fat
- 3 Tbsp flour
- Brine beans overnight. 2 tsp salt in 1 qt. water. Beans in brine Fri Mar 2
- at 2:18pm. Out Sat Mar 3 at some time in the afternoon.
- Put bacon fat in pot, enough to make a thin film, about 1 tsp. Melt, add
- pork, cover and sweat for 1 hour over lowest heat.
- Add bay leaves, peppercorns, mirepoix-for-stock and water to cover. Bring
- to boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, 4 hours over lowest heat.
- Remove pork with slotted spoon. Strain liquid into large bowl. Reserve 1
- cup of stock. When pork is cool enough to handle, remove meat and save.
- Discard skin and bones. Shred and chop meat into small pieces.
- Meanwhile, saute mirepoix-for-dish in the now-empty pot in about 1 tsp
- bacon fat over medium-low heat for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to lowest, cover
- and sweat 10 minutes. Drain beans. Add stock to pot, together with
- oregano, thyme and beans. Simmer covered 1 hour, uncovering for the last
- 15 minutes.
- Add ham to pot and simmer, uncovered, another 30 minutes.
- Make a roux sauce using 3 Tbsp each bacon fat and flour, plus the 1 cup of
- reserved stock. Add it to the pot and simmer another 30 minutes.
RAW Paste Data