2019-08-14 Writing: reasons to support opinions
gmalivuk Aug 14th, 2019 72 Never
Not a member of Pastebin yet? Sign Up, it unlocks many cool features!
- Greg Malivuk
- http://www.pastebin.com/u/gmalivuk - Notes from all classes
- Homework: list some facts that (if true) could support these opinions:
- - It’s too cold to go swimming today.
- One man got hypothermia swimming here one hour ago.
- Facts about how cold water affects the body.
- Statement of the temperature.
- - It’s bad to study English.
- My friends are from the same country as me, so we don’t need English.
- It takes a long time to do the homework every day.
- It’s difficult to learn English. (This can be a fact if you say how long it takes on average.)
- More people in the world speak Chinese, so that’s more useful.
- - Everyone should become vegetarian.
- It’s healthier.
- Meat increases the risk of heart attack.
- People who eat meat are more likely to be obese.
- Vegetarians usually have lower blood pressure.
- Vegans and vegetarians live longer.
- It’s better for the environment.
- Animals produce a lot of methane, a greenhouse gas.
- It takes a lot of resources to feed and move animals.
- It’s better for the animals.
- It decreases violence toward animals.
- Farming can be cruel to the animals.
- controversy = disagreement between groups of people
- controversial topic = topic which creates controversy
- “Medium-controversy” statements:
- - Dogs are better than cats.
- - American football is better than soccer.
- - Diet Coke is better than regular Coke.
- - Chocolate is better than Nutella.
- - Students should not be allowed to use phones in class.
- - Students chould not be allowed to use translators/dictionaries in class.
- - Students should wear school uniforms.
- - Students shouldn’t be allowed to chew gum.
- - Grades in school should be eliminated.
- - Students should study every day.
- - Homework should be eliminated.
- Pick one statement to agree or disagree with and think of 3-4 reasons to support your opinion. (The reasons can be facts or opinions.)
- Then organize your reasons into an outline with some examples.
- Title: Vegetarianism for Everyone
- Topic Sentence: I believe that everyone should become vegetarian for three reasons.
- A. Health
- 1. heart disease
- 2. live longer
- B. Environment
- 1. cow burps
- 2. resources
- C. Animal Treatment
- 1. violence
- 2. cruel conditions
- Conclusion: Because it’s better for your health, the environment and animals, you should try to become a vegetarian in the future.
- Homework: Use your outline to write a paragraph or short essay to support your opinion on this topic.
- Vegetarianism for Everyone
- I believe that everyone should become vegetarian for three reasons. First, vegetarianism is better for our health. Studies have shown that vegetarians are 50% less likely to get heart disease than people who eat meat at least once a day. In addition, scientists say that vegetarians on average live up to 10 years longer than people who eat meat. Second, ...
RAW Paste Data