Activision Black Ops II Review Event & $280 Headset Gifts
RobinGale Jun 20th, 2016 (edited) 621 Never
Not a member of Pastebin yet? Sign Up, it unlocks many cool features!
- Subject: Activision Call of Duty: Black Ops II Review Event & $280 headset gifts.
- Sources: Polygon, Joystiq (endgadget), VideoGamer, GamesRadar, Gamesvortex, Lazygamer, Eurogamer, VG247, Venturebeat, Giantbomb, Telegraph, G4TV, IGN, Kotaku, Destructoid, Gameinformer, Shacknews, Gamespot, Metacritic, Turtlebeach, Twitter.
- Date Compiled: June 20th, 2016.
- Credits: Original Investigation. Bonegolem pointed out the Gamesvortex Ear Force Sierra review.
- As detailed in three pieces of coverage (Polygon, Gamesvortex, Lazygamer) there was a review event held for Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 from October 22nd, 2012 to October 24th. The three pieces of coverage detail that a gift valued at $280 was offered to journalists that attended. This gift is a "Black Ops 2 themed bag with a $280 value Ear Force Sierra: Call of Duty: Black Ops II Limited Edition headset." Each of the reviewers from these three outlets admitted to accepting the headset. In addition, the reviewer for Gamesvortex indicates that the amount of journalists present were 20 to 30. Several reviews which do not discuss the headset do acknowledge that they were present at the event. (Joystiq, Videogamer, Gamesradar). Considering the number of journalists claimed to be present in the Gamesvortex piece, all day one reviews are considered suspect, although a few did claim to have not attended.
- Accounts of the Headset gift:
- "While there wasn't anything quite on that level this year, there was an awkward, unfortunate moment at the start of the event when we were greeted by hired models in Call of Duty-themed getups upon arrival to the hotel and presented with Black Ops 2-themed bags containing a $280 headset (both of which will be donated to readers)" ~ Polygon https://archive.is/V4CR2
- "At Activision's Black Ops II Review Event, the multiplayer section featured banks of Xbox 360 gaming setups, all with large LG widescreen televisions and Ear Force Sierra: Call of Duty: Black Ops II Limited Edition headsets. Additionally, each reviewer received their own headset to review upon their return home." ~ Gamesvortex http://archive.is/Q5SkF#selection-955.1-963.99
- Black Ops 2 themed bags containing $280 COD Ear Force Sierra headsets. https://archive.is/N0inK
- Disclosed presence at review event and the headset gift.
- 1. Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 review: future shock (Russ Frushtick ~ Polygon): https://archive.is/DBrJU https://archive.is/V4CR2 (Disclosed presence at review event and disclosed that they recieved a "Black Ops 2 themed bag with a $280 headset". Polygon stated in their write-up of the review camp that they would donate the bag and headset to readers.)
- 2. Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 (Psibabe and Geck0 ~ Gamesvortex): https://archive.is/dSwQ3 https://archive.is/451Tw (Disclosed presence at review event and that "Black Op 2 licensed products were provided")
- 3. Call of Duty Black Ops 2 Review – Future imperfect (Gavin Mannion ~ Lazygamer): https://archive.is/fYVfP (Discloses that they were at the review event) https://archive.is/GEUFS (Disclosed that they did accept the headset, also claims that the Italian representative to Eurogamer was at the event.)
- Disclosed presence at the review event, but do not mention the headset.
- 1. Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 review: War on three fronts (Xav de Matos ~ Joystiq): https://archive.is/zJAe8 (archived from endgadget)
- 2. Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 Review (Martin Gaston ~ VideoGamer): https://archive.is/xDUFT (archive)
- 3. Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 review (Lorenzo Veloria ~ Gamesradar): https://archive.is/mSN1v
- Day one reviews that do not mention the review camp or any gift. (Does not mean they attended)
- 1. Call of Duty: Black Ops II Review (Jeff Gerstmann ~ Giantbomb): https://archive.is/iSpfs
- 2. Call of Duty: Black Ops II Review (Mike Clayton ~ Telegraph): https://archive.is/Gw7XX
- 3. Call of Duty: Black Ops II Review (Kevin Kelly ~ G4TV): https://archive.is/38jKg
- 4. Call of Duty: Black Ops II Review (Anthony Gallegos ~ IGN): https://archive.is/eMmwg
- 5. Call of Duty: Black Ops II: The Kotaku Review (Patricia Hernandez ~ Kotaku): https://archive.is/EdGbN
- 6. Call of Duty: Black Ops II Treyarch Offers FPS Fans A Mixed Bag (Dan Ryckert ~ Gameinformer): https://archive.is/WGRjV
- 7. Review: Call of Duty: Black Ops II (Jim Sterling ~ Destructoid): https://archive.is/qaleB
- 8. Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 Review (Chris Watters ~ Gamespot): https://archive.is/2BB06
- Jeff Gerstmann during the time period of the review event, talking about having been on a plane. http://archive.is/AyQkA http://archive.is/RZmr1
- Jeff Gerstmann during the time period of the review event, talking about being on a guest filled extravaganza. http://archive.is/MaBfQ
- Jeff Gerstmann, a day after the review event, stating that an event not sponsored by game publishers would be a step up. http://archive.is/txaQZ
- (Given these comments, it is probable that he was present at the review event)
- Denied Attending the Review Event.
- 1. According to Eurogamer, they did "not" attend the event, their review was 2 days late on Nov 15, 2012. https://archive.is/QBt4l (Lazygamer claims the Italian representative to Eurogamer was present at the event)
- 2. According to VG247, they did not attend the event. This review was published on Nov 13, 2012. https://archive.is/v5OLj
- 3. According to Devin Connors (of Shacknews), he did not attend the event. http://archive.is/JNHgq https://archive.is/63WuF
- 4. According to Dean Takahashi (of Venturebeat), he did not attend the event. http://archive.is/E3mx2 https://archive.is/XINu5
RAW Paste Data