- Oakland City Council President Kernighan's email to constituents announcing her decision not to run for reelection:
- Dear Friends,
- I am writing to let you know that I have decided not to run for re-election next November as the District 2 Councilmember. When my current term ends on December 31, 2014, I will have been a Councilmember for nine and a half years. Serving on the City Council has been an extraordinary experience and one that I have found very fulfilling. I am proud of what I already have achieved in this role and am gratified to have been able to advocate for the needs of thousands of residents. I am thankful for the partnerships with so many people in the community that has made our progress possible.
- I will be retiring for purely personal reasons. I want to have time to travel, spend time with my husband and family, especially my little granddaughter, and do all the other ordinary activities that I have had little time for while a Councilmember.
- I am excited that things are looking up for Oakland. We are poised for many good things and there is a younger generation of Oaklanders wanting to lead and contribute.
- It has been an honor to represent you on the City Council. I will continue to work hard throughout the next year to make positive change in our city and to lead the City Council in my role as President of the Council.
- With warm regards and gratitude for your continuing support,
- Pat Kernighan
- Oakland City Council President
- And Councilmember for District 2
- 1 Frank H. Ogawa Plaza
- Oakland, CA 94612