Pokemon Red Glitchless Speedrun FAQ
- Pokemon Red Glitchless Speedrun FAQ
- March 2019
- Q: What are you doing?
- A: Trying to beat Pokemon Red as fast as I can without the use of glitches.
- Q: What's WR?
- A: 1:45:21 by pokeguy.
- Q: What are you playing on?
- A: A certain emulator called Gambatte Speedrun. It is apparently developed specifically for console-accuracy in Pokemon (not sure about other games) and is the only legal emulator in the Pokemon speedruns community.
- Q: Why are you even playing this shitty game? I thought you preferred that other even shittier game?
- A: Currently I am away at school until September, and left my console behind, both so I didn't have to transport it, and so that I wouldn't get caught up in the Sapphire grind rather than focusing on my work. However, I miss speedrunning/streaming, so I thought now would be a good time to dabble in Red, since Gambatte Speedrun is extremely accurate, and the execution is simple enough to be done on keyboard without much difficulty (possibly better in some ways).
- Q: Why did you save and reset?
- A: To perform an RNG manipulation. I will be doing this to catch a Nidoran-M with (near?) perfect stats, to (attempt to) manipulate no encounters+a late Paras encounter in Mt. Moon, and to manipulate perfect cans in Vermilion Gym. Currently I am still getting the hang of Moon manip, so if I am doing proper attempts, I may accept a failed manip and just manip a Paras encounter separately after the battle with the fossil guy.
- Q: Why did you do X strat?
- A: At this point I really don't know much about this game at all, so I can't really comment on why the route is structured the way it is. I am following Exarion's beginner guide, which can be found here: https://pastebin.com/pQHsPFJ1
- Q: What's your goal time?
- A: I'm not sure yet. If I continue to do more than just dabble in it for a short time, I think I would have to go for top 5 or so, otherwise I see no point in grinding if I'm not going to go for a relatively decent time. But depending on how much time I will need to invest in learning all the advanced menuing techniques and the advanced extended manips, I think I would eventually go for sub-1:50 at minimum.
- Q: What's that music in the background?
- A: That would be my flatmate strumming away endlessly at her electric guitar because she doesn't know what headphones are and apparently lacks rudimentary self-awareness (I dunno if you can hear it on stream, but it is driving me up a wall).
RAW Paste Data