- CROATIA/SERBIA/HUNGARY UPDATE (Monday 23:30 12/10/2015)
- SERBIAN-MACEDONIAN BORDER
- - PRESEVO - The situation got little bit better, at 18:00 waiting queue was for the first time in past days almost empty! It seems both less refugees crossed from Macedonia today and also Serbian authorities speeded up the process of the registration. But in previous hours waiting time peaked 4 hour. If you have any detailed info from south of Macedonia, please let us know.
- - Volunteers on place got more support from MSF and others and coordination got better, but in case influx of refugees from Macedonia will return to its numbers from previous days situation may became dangerous again. Rain is expected, so large tarps and raincoats are needed - they are hard to buy there in large quantities, so please bring them if you can. 3000 - 5000 refugees daily crossed Presevo in previous day to get registration for Serbia so imagine the need of them.
- - If you are able to donate shoes and warm clothes, it would be great to have them in Presevo - Red Cross and UNHCR called for donations here. Please be sure, that all clothes and shoes are sorted and labelled in English, otherwise it is difficult to distribute them and sorting takes precious time. Especially children suffer from cold.
- - Contacts: There has been setup a coordination phone line, which should be used by volunteers approaching Presevo - +381 642 653 479 - they will let you know about the situation. Also there has been set up an storage room and also room for volunteers to sleep, info line will give you more detailed info about the situation - but call only when approaching Presevo.
- - DONATIONS FOR MIGRATION AID and for SOS-BAMAKO HUNGARY NEEDED! Two Hungarian organizations still needs donations. They are providing food and water to those refugees waiting for long hours in trains and buses to be transported further in Zakany and Hegyeshalom.
- - Please see regular daily updates about what is needed and how to donate at https://www.facebook.com/migrationaidhungary and please donate!
- - NEW: MigrationAid has a new temporary storage room close to the border area near Gyor where we can accept the same donations as in the Verseny street storage. Address: Duna street 28, Abda. Reception of donations only weekdays 10.00 - 12.00 (not on weekends or holidays). Also Budapest, Verseny street 10, still open for donations 16.00-20.00 every day.
- - BUDAPEST - "We need tons of: rolls, pepper, apple, cereal bars, chocolate bars, yoghurt, triangle cheese, and plactic bags with carrier and also your help with preparing food packs at BUDAPEST 1084, BERKOCSIS STR. 41 (green door) to prepare food for Hegyeshalom."
- - Information about donations from abroad: http://www.migrationaid.net/english/ For more information contact Andras Siewert, Tel.: +36 30 895 1917, E-mail: email@example.com, https://www.facebook.com/siewert.org
- - ZAKANY - Up to 1700 people are on single train at Zákány and 8 there are up to trains daily. Huge efforts are made to cover food costs but volunteers there are quite out of money now. If anyone could contribute to food costs for refugees at Zákány please do it now. Info is updated daily here: https://www.facebook.com/Migrant-Aid-Support-Europe-1678840242357662/ and you can easily donate here: https://www.gofundme.com/kc5jtbx4
- - And also: information on trains coming from Tovarnik crossing Botovo, Zákány, Győr for Hegyeshalom is now being collected in the group originally started for train information in Hungary. Please share and feel free to add information on trains (place, time, approximately number of people, special needs) at MiG RAiL: https://www.facebook.com/groups/818175334964977/?fref=ts
- - Team of volunteers "SOS Budapest - Bamako" is accepting donations for Zakany, contact them at https://www.facebook.com/Budapest-Bamako-SOS-Refugee-161590304178147 , where you also can see what is needed there.
- Refugees at Zakany constantly need water and food for lunchpackets (bananas, apples, sliced bread, sliced cheese, muesli bars), also baby food and diapers. Please donate and help them. You can also send money via http://www.gofundme.com/sosrefugee
- - HEGYESHALOM - There has been some logistical problems with authorities and situation was not clear in past two days. Volunteers are needed on site to help distribute food and other donations, but currently help is provided only in no man's land between the borders. We will have more information in Tuesday, there has been also a meeting with mayor of Hegyeshalom, but no outcome so far.
- CROATIA/SERBIA border
- - BAPSKA (Berkasovo from Serbian side) - Situation is getting better there, number of refugees today slightly decreased, but still in a need of warm clothes and shoes.
- - Croatian police set up army tents in the waiting area so now all the area is covered. We now have more than 25 volunteers and also week days should be all right, but be prepared for traveling when needed. We expect rain starting Wednesday so raincoats and warm clothes is always welcomed.
- - Room at local hotel has been rented and 10 volunteers could have a rest and take shower there between the shifts, a house will be rented starting Wednesday for this purposes by Czech "People in need" NGO (PIN). Also, let me assure you that coordination agenda is still in heads of volunteers and PIN here is strictly kept supporting them. Honza Pejril is in charge of improving conditions for volunteers and Katja is enforcing our voice during Coordination meetings with other organizations. Large coordination meetings of all NGOs on the place (UNHCR, Red Cross, Operation Mercy, World Vision, MSF) will be held twice a week to better coordination of all efforts, supplies and medical aid.
- - All volunteers in Serbia must fill a short form and be registered to police, our volunteers went through the registration today and it is only a small form. System has been established to deliver all forms to police station in Šid via one person.
- - Clothes: warm jackets and other warm clothes, gloves, hats, SHOES! (especially 38-44 size, but all sizes are good, especially mens), new SOCKS!, bags (backpacks, ikea bags, plastic waste bags). Also mens trousers - jeans are problematic to fit, please try to collect tracksuits and other loosely worn trousers, also leggins for women. Food in larger quantities is problem to delivery across the border, so please buy it in Serbia/Croatia directly. Don't bring t-shirts and other summer clothes, there is no time tom deliver them at all and they takes space in the storages.
- - Donations: Raincoats needed. Also 5l and 0,5l water packages, gloves, plastic cups and spoons, lot of black tea bags, duct tape, cookies, chocolate bars, bananas.
- - Help in the area on Serbian side is coordinated by Misa, her number: +420 774 195 786. When arriving on place at Bapska to volunteer on both sides of the border, please report yourself at the organizing team and please obey they instruction.
- - Volunteers from the Czech republic are asked to use http://uprchlici.respublica.cz to assign their timeslots and offer/demand transport to Croatia/Serbia.
- - Volunteers traveling via Hungary/Serbia and Croatia/Serbia border crossings are still experiencing problems at the Serbian customs offices, which does not want to let them in the country without paying custom duties and declarations. Shoes, clothes and large quantities of food are also problem. Always try to reduce amount of aid you carry so it does not seem suspicious, also try to pretend you are not aid workers but just tourists. Cover supplies with your personal belonging and luggage. Use Tovarnik/Sid border crossing.
- - Location of makeshift camp is near Šid at Serbian side, when approaching Šid from west (from Tovarnik) turn left on light, and after 2,5 km turn slightly left when road turns right (fork type of crossroad), then through the fields cca 3,5 km and you arrive on the spot.
- - Even when working on Serbian site at Bapska border crossing, try to set permanently Croatian phone operators to stay within EU roaming prices.
- - Volunteers helping at Miksaliste (Mostarska 5, Beograd) set up also their VolunteerSpot account and are asking anyone who is in Belgrade to sign up for various tasks needed to be done there. Visit http://www.volunteerspot.com/login/entry/4179297180119 to see what is needed there and to sign up for timeslots, or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Other news
- - UN provides Serbia with $8.5m to help it cope with the migrant crisis, on top of $2.5m already provided, ahead of winter. It comes as UNHCR chief António Guterres warned 'it will be impossible to avoid tragedies during the winter' 'We know how to winterize a tent, winterize a camp, winterize a reception centre. It's impossible to winterize a crowd but it's impossible'. UN in Serbia says the funds are 'for strengthening government capacity and basic services to refugees'.
- - Please don't spread panic on social media without double checking the information, rather contact anyone responsible for coordination than spreading panic. It can lead to waste of human resources and donations. The more urgent the message sounds, the more it's needed to double check and confirm. Please don't share any information missing exact location, date and time, as this would cause more harm than good. Also please be careful when spreading information about not-cooperating NGOs or authorities - is always better to try solve problem on site, spreading that on social media does not seems to help much. Build coalitions on site, try to find policemen or members of NGOs who are willing to talk things and try to earn their trust, even if you don't agree with their approach to the problem. Once you have trust, there is much higher chance you will achieve your goals in establishing measures on site.
- - If you are on the road and need to know which refugee areas have urgent needs please check www.refugeemap.com, which is updated daily by a team of volunteers. If you are online regularly and could contribute in updating new spots and helping field volunteers this way, please contact them at https://www.facebook.com/RefugeeMap/
- - You can follow map with all spots with refugees here: http://umap.openstreetmap.fr/cs-cz/map/refugee-crisis-eu_55091#6/46.883/20.314
- - Archive of these updates could be found at http://pastebin.com/u/michalberg
- - Police department in Burgenland (Eastern Austria) has opened a 24hr hotline. Family members who are looking for their relatives can call: +43 591 331 033 33
- - If you are willing to donate money to Czech team in Serbia, you can use my paypal email@example.com and I will move the funds immediately to the people on site. You can also donate firstname.lastname@example.org for MigrationAid. Thanks to those who already donated!
- - When traveling to help, always take headlight, reflexion vest, good shoes, protective gloves and warm clothes and be prepared for rain. And always try to contact anyone in charge of coordination on site and obey his instructions and forget about any alcohol on site. Please also note that situation may change at any time.
- - Czech only: Kordinátoři sestavili Kodex dobrovolníka, který se vycestováním zavazujete dodržovat: http://kodexdobrovolnika.jdem.cz/
- - Odkaz na užitečný manuál pro dobrovolníky je http://dobrovolnici.jdem.cz/ - určitě čtěte před odjezdem. Pro vjezd do Srbska stačí jakákoli platná občanka.
CROATIA/SERBIA/HUNGARY UPDATE (Monday 23:30 12/10/2015)
michalberg Oct 12th, 2015 (edited) 1,863 Never
Not a member of Pastebin yet? Sign Up, it unlocks many cool features!
RAW Paste Data