- CROATIA/SERBIA/HUNGARY UPDATE (Tuesday 20:00 6/10/2015)
- CROATIA/SERBIA border
- BAPSKA - Still the main border point for refugees from Serbia to Croatia. Situation is calm during the day (almost no refugees), but is getting much intense during the night. Almost all major NGOs shut down their operations before midnight, but main wave of buses comes between 1-4 AM. So there is an urgent lack of people during the weekdays, or better say, weeknights. Please plan your trips so you can stay few days into the weekdays, not only weekends.
- - Czech NGO Človek v tísni (http://www.clovekvtisni.cz/en), which is one of the most respectable humanitarian NGOs, deployed their contact persons in Šid/Bapska. They have experiences working in Serbia, contacts, speaks local language and know everything about all paperwork and bureaucracy and are going to help with this. They will not provide help to refugees, only support for volunteers - including financial aid for purchasing food. This will be a huge help, as there has been some days when volunteers had lack of food supplies, when it had to be purchased only from private donations.
- - There are also rumors that everyone staying in Serbia for more than 24 hours should register himself to police, we are learning more about this and also about the possibilities how to cope with this law when volunteering.
- - Raincoats needed. Also 5l and 0,5l water packages, gloves, plastic cups and spoons, lot of black tea bags, duct tape, cookies, chocolate bars, bananas. Wheelchairs would be nice to have!
- - Volunteers needed and welcomed but please be ready for working long and late night. We also ask volunteers not to bring any alcohol.
- - Clothes: warm jackets and other warm clothes, gloves, hats, SHOES! (especially 38-44 size, but all sizes are good, especially mens), new SOCKS!. Also mens trousers - jeans are problematic to fit, please try to collect tracksuits and other loosely eared trousers, also leggins for women. Food in larger quantities is problem to delivery across the border, so please buy it in Serbia/Croatia directly. Don't bring t-shirts and other summer clothes, there is no time tom deliver them at all and they takes space in the storages.
- - Help in the area on Serbian side is coordinated by Misa, her number: +420 774 195 786. When arriving on place at Bapska to volunteer on both sides of the border, please report yourself at the organizing team and please obey they instruction.
- - Volunteers on Croatian side are asked to fill their availability slots at http://www.volunteerspot.com/login/entry/676750982095 - please log in and you will see how it works. Aim is to ensure all shifts are being covered.
- - Volunteers traveling via Hungary/Serbia and Croatia/Serbia border crossings are still experiencing problems at the Serbian customs offices, which does not want to let them in the country without paying custom duties and declarations. Shoes, clothes and large quantities of food are also problem. Always try to reduce amount of aid you carry so it does not seem suspicious, also try to pretend you are not aid workers but just tourists. Cover supplies with your personal belonging and luggage. In case of problems, there is a possibility to leave your supplies at Tovarnik at Croatian side, but the size is limited. Use Tovarnik/Sid border crossing.
- - Location of makeshift camp is near Sid at Serbian side, when approaching Sid from west (from Tovarnik) turn left on light, and after 2,5 km turn slightly left when road turns right (fork type of crossroad), then through the fields cca 3,5 km and you arrive on the spot.
- - Croatian side is easily accesible via Šarengrad. The most important thing is NOT to stop at Opatovac or Tovarnik and ask anyone there about Bapska because there weer causes when locals/police told volunteers not to go to Bapska or that they need accreditation. That is NOT true for Bapska at the moment: people there have talked everything through with the police and they WILL let you through. Please print out map if you don't have GPS.
- - Even when working on Serbian site at Bapska border crossing, try to set permanently Croatian phone operators to stay within EU roaming prices.
- - Archive of these updates could be found at http://pastebin.com/u/michalberg
- - BEREMEND, MAGYARBOLY - Refugees are continuously passing through Beremend. MigrationAid operates aid centre near Beremend with storage room and accommodation for its volunteers. MigrationAid is looking for volunteers for few day shifts. There is also possible to get some transportation from Budapest. See http://bit.ly/1FQ6uJR for scheduling your time.
- - HEGYESHALOM - Migration Aid's operative team is looking for volunteers at the Hegyeshalom border. Volunteers would be working in team of four in 12 hrs shifts. (6am-6pm, 6pm-6am). The volunteers are responsible to take care of the refugees, which primarily includes the distribution of donations and keeping the site clean.
- - Volunteers are leaving daily from warehouse in Verseny utca, Budapest. First car at 4pm which also transports the daily supply and another one at 4am with the volunteers. Please see scheduling of volunteers shift for Hegyeshalom at http://bit.ly/1VueVBD
- For more information about both locations contact Andras Siewert, Tel.: +36 30 895 1917, E-mail: email@example.com, https://www.facebook.com/siewert.org
- - ZAKANY - border crossing still open for providing help to refugees, but only food and water, no clothes/shoes. They are expecting another 6 trains and RUN OUT OF FOOD, so please deliver some over there.
- Refugees at Zakany constantly need water and food for lunchpackets (bananas, apples, sliced bread, sliced cheese, muesli bars), and also your volunteer help is needed. Zakany volunteers set up a twitter account to inform what is needed there: https://twitter.com/zakanysolidar, or contact SOSkonvoi - +43 676 630 94 86 or https://www.facebook.com/SOSkonvoi
- - BUDAPEST - MigrationAid is still collecting material donations personally or via mail orders or shipments to their storage at Budapest, district 7, Verseny street 10, where they can receive donations at 16.00-20.00 every day. Please read carefully their daily donation list at https://www.facebook.com/migrationaidhungary
- - BUDAPEST - Every day you can go to BERKOCSIS STR. 41 on 10:00, just look for the green door to the basement, they are preparing thousands of food packs for Hegyeshalom. If you can bring something, they always need: banana, yoghurt, triangle cheese, cereal bars, chocolate bars, rolls, paprika, apples.
- SERBIAN-MACEDONIAN BORDER
- - PRESEVO - The situation has been solved for now in Presevo and no volunteer help is need now. Serbian authorities increased rapidly their capacities for registering refugees and they don't need to wait outside on the streets anymore. Volunteers are just distributing some food and water and cleaning the site, but until further notice, your help is not needed there.
- - However, in Presevo, you can contact Frantisek +420 774 673 864, who has been there for 3 days and is coordinating efforts of Czech team. Call only when trying to locate him on site.
- - Volunteers helping at Miksaliste (Mostarska 5, Beograd) set up also their VolunteerSpot account and are asking anyone who is in Belgrade to sign up for various tasks needed to be done there. Visit http://www.volunteerspot.com/login/entry/4179297180119 to see what is needed there and to sign up for timeslots.
- Other news
- - International organization for migration issued another report about refugee crisis, please read here: http://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/situation_reports/file/Europe-Mediterranean-Migration-Crisis-Response-Situation-Report-05-October-2015.pdf
- - Information about times of arrival of special trains from Tovarnik to Botovo/Zakany are published on twitter account of Croatian government - https://twitter.com/VladaRH
- - Police department in Burgenland (Eastern Austria) has opened a 24hr hotline. Family members who are looking for their relatives can call: +43 591 331 033 33
- - If you are willing to donate money to Czech team in Serbia, you can use my paypal firstname.lastname@example.org and I will move the funds immediately to the people on site. You can also donate email@example.com for MigrationAid. Thanks to those who already donated!
- - Czech only: Odkaz na užitečný manuál pro dobrovolníky: http://dobrovolnici.jdem.cz/ - určitě čtěte před odjezdem. Pro vjezd do Srbska stačí občanka, ale pas je vždycky lepší mít.
- - When traveling to help, always take headlight, reflexion vest, good shoes, protective gloves and warm clothes and be prepared for rain. And always try to contact anyone in charge of coordination on site and obey his instructions. And be careful!
- - Czech government agreed yesterday to deploy some 25 soldiers and machines to help Hungary building their fence. We Czechs are ashamed for that, Dear Europe - http://www.deareurope.cz/en
CROATIA/SERBIA/HUNGARY UPDATE (Tuesday 20:00 6/10/2015)
michalberg Oct 6th, 2015 (edited) 3,214 Never
RAW Paste Data