#StopTheCops: Leaders of Black Orgs Shut Down Chicago
plussone Oct 24th, 2015 (edited) 1,230 Never
Not a member of Pastebin yet? Sign Up, it unlocks many cool features!
- Black Youth Project 100 (BYP 100)
- byp100.org | @BYP_100 | facebook.com/BYP100
- BREAKING NEWS - FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
- #StopTheCops: Five Direct Actions from Leaders of Black Community Organizations
- Shut Down Chicago to Press Demands on Police Chiefs Conference
- Groups say their goal is to defund the police and fund black futures.
- More Than 50 Arrests Expected – Activists Using Lock Boxes to Block McCormick Place entrance, I-55, and Other Intersections for at Least an Hour.
- For updated information and links to live video footage from the actions see: www.byp100.org/stopthecops
- and follow #StopTheCops and #FundBlackFutures on Twitter.
- CHICAGO 10/24: Today, Black Youth Project 100 (BYP100), Assata’s Daughters and We Charge Genocide, organizations on the front lines of the racial justice movement, are gathering to march against the 122nd Annual Conference of the International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP).
- Five groups of Black community organizers are engaging in four direct action protests in Chicago to disrupt business as usual and block access to McCormick Place to shut down the IACP conference.
- “Actions are being taken to demonstrate the urgency of our demand for a fundamental shift in the way this country invests in our most valuable resources – our people,” says Charlene Carruthers, BYP100 National Director. We demand that our lives, our communities and our futures be made a priority. The police chiefs who belong to the IACP and their local departments have a debt to pay for the lives and the resources they’ve stolen and we’re here to collect.”
- MASS MARCH LOCATION: Gathering at 1PM on Saturday, 10/24 at 35th Street and Michigan Avenue in Chicago. Facebook Event Page.
- DIRECT ACTION LOCATIONS:
- Group 1: Pride Rock Affinity Group with 40+ participants.
- Action/Location: TBD
- Read group statement at: http://radfag.wordpress.com
- About: Multiracial collective representing multiple organizations including Assata’s Daughters, Not 1 More, OCAD, and #BlackOutPride. Groups are united in the struggle for economic justice and Black liberation.
- Follow: @AssataDaughters, @chifightfor15, @DeividSRojas, @Not1_More for live photos andupdates from the action
- Group 2: Friday Affinity Group with 30 participants
- Location: Cermak and Prairie, Lock box action shutting down main entrance to center. Arrests Expected.
- Organizers from BYP100 and other community groups.
- Follow: @_WeAreBlack, @CharleneCac for live photos and updates from the action
- Livestream: Address will be posted from @BYP_100
- Group 3: Science Club Affinity Group with XX participants
- Action/Location: Blocking Cermak and Indiana to block conference access. Arrests expected.
- Read group statement at: http://liftedvoices.org/
- About: Lifted Voices Collective and other community members taking action to lift up the voices of Black youth and other marginalized children.
- Watch Live Streaming Video: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/samwiseoccupies
- Follow: @megmantis, @bullhorngirl, @chicagorising for live photos and updates from the action
- Group 4 & 5: Black Magic Affinity Group (Two Actions)
- Action/Location 1: Breezways at McCormick Place Hyatt. Arrests Expected.
- Action/Location 2: TBD
- Livestream: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/HPFCKVBF237
- Follow @PrestonMitchum for live photos and updates from the action
- STATEMENT FROM BYP100, ASSATA'S DAUGHTERS, WE CHARGE GENOCIDE AND OCAD
- Black Youth Project 100(BYP100), Assata’s Daughters, We Charge Genocide and Organized Communities Against Deportations (OCAD) are taking action today to shut-down the International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP) Conference in Chicago to demonstrate the urgency for a fundamental shift in the way this country invests in our most valuable resources – our people.
- Together, we’re organized to demand that our lives, our communities and our futures be made a priority. The police chiefs who belong to the IACP, and their local departments have a debt to pay for the lives and the resources they’ve stolen and we’re here to collect.
- ACTION LIVESTREAMS: http://byp100.org/stopthecops/
- From Chicago to Oakland, New Orleans to New York City, Black people live under police occupation everyday.Black folks who are poor, women, formerly incarcerated, working class, LGBTQ and gender non-conforming, differently abled, and/or undocumented are particularly vulnerable to police violence and hyper-surveillance. As a people living in Black bodies, state-sanctioned violence is always a clear and present danger. This must end.
- Among the many measures we believe are needed:
- · We demand all local, state and federal budgets to defund the police and invest those dollars and resources in Black futures.
- · We want reparations for chattel slavery, Jim Crow and mass incarceration.
- · We want to end all profit from so-called “criminal justice” punishment – both public and private.
- · We want a guaranteed income for all, living wages, a federal jobs program, and freedom from discrimination for all workers.
- · We want the labor of Black transgender and cisgender women (unseen and seen, unpaid and paid) to be valued and supported,
- not criminalized and marginalized.
- · We want investments in Black communities that promote economic sustainability and eliminate the displacement of our people.
- The global nature of the IACP conference is not lost on us. We know that American police officers train with defense agents occupying other lands where Black Palestinians and African migrants experience double oppression. State violence is connected not just from local police station to police station, but also globally among various occupying forces.
- ACTION LIVESTREAMS: http://byp100.org/stopthecops/
- Black people deserve to live with human dignity. We are building a movement rooted in people who understandwhy we must fight. We are constantly at risk of experiencing anti-Black violence by state and its accomplices.
- Today, we are putting ourselves at risk to take power over our futures because we know that our liberation will not be handed to us, we have to build it ourselves.
- With Power and Love,
- BYP100, Assata’s Daughters, We Charge Genocide and OCAD
RAW Paste Data