this class gay
a guest May 23rd, 2019 74 Never
Not a member of Pastebin yet? Sign Up, it unlocks many cool features!
- Alex Hong
- LA 5
- Flowers For Algernon
- Charlie should have had the surgery to improve his intelligence because of many reasons. First, he was able to become smart, and do many things even though it was for a short time. Another reason is because he was able to help Dr Strauss and Dr. Nemur know more about their experiments. Finally, it let him experience things that he otherwise wouldn’t have been able to experience if he didn’t have the surgery.
- One reason that Charlie should’ve had the surgery was because it allowed Charlie to become smart and do many things that he wouldn’t have been able to do without the surgery. He begins by learning many foreign languages and trying to understand more about math and science (236). Charlie also quickly became smarter than Dr Nemur and realizes that they aren’t that smart compared to him. “Contrary to my earlier impressions of him, I realize that Dr. Nemur is not at all a genius” (235). Finally, Charlie became aware that the people in the factory weren’t laughing with him, but laughing at him because of his mental disability. “The blank expression, the silly smile, the people laughing at him. No--please--not that again” (241).
- Another reason that Charlie should’ve had the surgery is because he was able to help Dr Strauss and Dr. Nemur learn more about their experiments on increasing intelligence. Before Charlie began to deteriorate he was able to write a report on the Algernon-Gordon Effect, and his findings on how the experiment has many downsides. “I have included in my report all of my formulae, as well as mathematical analysis… I would like to have you read and have published” (239). He also helped Nemur and Strauss research Algernon and his habits before he died which allowed them to learn more, and according to Dr Strauss, he was “trying to cram a lifetime of research and thought into a few weeks” (239)
- Some people think that Charlie shouldn’t have had the surgery because it made him realize that he doesn’t have the ability to learn like many other people and will always know that he can’t be as smart as he was when he had the surgery. However, this doesn’t matter because he was able to enjoy what he had for the time that he had it and was able to experience something that he wasn’t able to. He was also able to tell other people the flaw in their experiments.
- Finally, it allowed Charlie to do many things that he otherwise wouldn’t have been able to do without the surgery. For example, Charlie was able to know more about people, and how some of them were like him before he had the surgery, and how easy it was to follow the lead of other people. “They were laughing at him because he was mentally retarded… Suddenly, I was furious at myself and all those who were smirking at him” (237). Another thing that he was able to do was learn was just because you become smart doesn’t mean that life will be easier. “I hope they use me…. I want to be smart… Before the laughed at me and despised me for my ignorance and dullness; now, they hate me for my knowledge and understanding. What in God’s name do they want of me?”
- Throughout everything that Charlie has been through I thought that it was better for him to have the surgery because it allowed him to experience many other things that he otherwise wouldn’t have been able to experience without the surgery.
RAW Paste Data