/LPMTG/ La Palma Mega Tsunami General
- >What is it?
- La Palma is a volcanic island that is part of the Canary Island chain. Large portions of the island are unstable, and with the right conditions, could cause a massive landslide into the sea. High end estimates range between 50 and 200 km^3 of material, ultra high end estimates at 600+. The displacement, if it happens all at once, would cause a mega tsunami.
- Recently over 5000+ small earthquakes have been happening under the island as well as surface swelling, which has lead to eruption and could cause collapse.
- >Explanation of what would happen.
- >Quake list (Please don't spam refresh IGN), also misc. links
- >How dangerous is it if it happens?
- If you live directly on the coast, and the worst case scenario happens, potentially very bad. Travel times are 0.25-5 hours to Africa, 1-2 hours to Spain/Portugal, 3-4 Hours to Britain, 5-8 hours to Brazil and 9-10 Hours for the US. To estimate damage, treat it as worse than a Category 5 Hurricane storm surge in the US.
- >If its erupting, is it over?
- Maybe, maybe not. Eruptions frequently occur in swarms. Mt. St. Helens erupted on and off for 2 months before it had its landslide and final eruption. La Palma's last eruption went for 33 days. Since there is still swelling and quakes, the eruption isn't releasing pressure fast enough.
RAW Paste Data