- After working on Oengus for a full year in my free time, and maintaining it for a bit more, it has become clear for me that I am burnt out of this project, therefore I decided to shut it down on its two-year anniversary in July 2021.
- Truly, working on this project has been amazing. When I started it, it was mostly to keep learning and discovering new things related to programming, but what kept me moving was also the great feedback and support I got from users, and I genuinely thank everyone who helped me making Oengus a better platform over time. Today, Oengus has grown much bigger than I could ever imagine, and even if I still had great ideas to make it even better, I also realized that it had grown too big for a single person to maintain it on free time alone. When I realized this, it slowly started to become a burden to me more than anything: everytime someone reported an issue of some sort, I was complaining inside that I’d have to get back to the code, because I just didn’t want to touch it anymore. And when something like this happens, especially on personal projects, it’s time to stop.
- So what’s next? As these lines are written, the latest marathon entry will happen in late June, so I plan on shutting Oengus down on July 1st, 2021. You can still use Oengus like normal until then, but obviously you won’t be able to create any marathon later than that.
- If someone wants to revive it afterwards, go ahead! The source code is available on Gitlab: https://gitlab.com/Gyoo1/oengusio
- However, I may not be available to answer your questions, because I really want to move on to other things at this point. Also, mostly for GDPR reasons, I prefer not to try and dump the database for someone else to use. That means, if Oengus should live again, it’ll have to be from scratch.
- I’d like to thank everyone once again for your support, your feedback, and simply using this platform for all this time, because ultimately, without users, it would’ve been pointless.
- We may meet again elsewhere one day.
RAW Paste Data