SHARE
TWEET

DAMPE PROBABILITY

dannyb21892 Feb 15th, 2016 (edited) 85 Never
Not a member of Pastebin yet? Sign Up, it unlocks many cool features!
  1. There's a 10% chance on each dig to get the HP.  Each dig is entirely independent from all others. Therefore the number of digs until the heart piece is a geometric variable with success p=0.1.  And so the expected value (average number of digs) is 1/0.1 = 10.
  2.  
  3. Often people parrot 7 as the average number of digs, but this is not true. 7 is the MEDIAN.  That is, there is approximately a 50% chance each to get the heart piece before or after 7 tries. This can be seen by finding the probability of 6 failures in a row.  0.9^6 = 0.53.  Therefore the probability of getting the heartpiece in 6 or fewer attempts is 47%, and the probability of getting it in 7 or more attempts is 53%.
  4.  
  5. But if 7 marks the "halfway point" where half the time you'll get less than 7 and half the time more, then why isn't 7 the average?  Well that's because half the time you will be getting 1,2,3,4,5 or 6 and the other half of the time you will be getting 7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16........(insert arbitrarily large numbers here).  Therefore the upper 50% has a larger average to offset the lower 50%.  Consider this as an example:  I try dampe 10 times.  The number of times I had to dig to get the heart on each attempt are as follows: 3,4,5,5,6,8,14,15,16,24  50% of the time I got a number less than 7, and 50% 7 or greater.  But the average is 10.  On a large scale the numbers will work out the same way as this contrived example.  Hopefully this clears it up and kills the argument.
RAW Paste Data
We use cookies for various purposes including analytics. By continuing to use Pastebin, you agree to our use of cookies as described in the Cookies Policy. OK, I Understand
 
Top