Translation of Iraqi Internet Shutdown Order
- Translation of this document: https://twitter.com/fredericjacobs/status/478526605959368705
- MINISTRY OF COMMUNICATIONS
- IRAQI TELECOMMUNICATION & POST COMPANY
- TRANSMISSION & DATA NETWORKS DEPARTMENT
- PARTNERS SECTION
- SERIAL NUMBER: 5214
- DATE: 2014/6/15
- To all companies that offer Internet services (Ufuq Al-Samaa, IQ Network, Shabakat Al-Ard, Rabet Al-Ard, Al-sard, NorouzTel, Fast-Iraq, ITC, Halt-Sat, Al-Jazira):
- Order to stop the Internet service with specific Internet applications
- Due to the current national security concerns and the exceptional developing situation in our beloved country, the national security advisory board has decreed the following:
- FIRSTLY, stopping all Internet services completely and absolutely for the following districts:
- 1. Nineveh.
- 2. Al-Anbar.
- 3. Saladin.
- 4. Kirkuk.
- 5. Diyala.
- SECONDLY, stopping all access to Virtual Private Networks (VPN) in all of Iraq starting at 4:00PM and until 7:00AM daily.
- THIRDLY, stopping all access to the following Internet applications in all of Iraq:
- 1. Facebook.
- 2. YouTube.
- 3. Twitter.
- 4. Whats Up [sic] (Translator's note: they probably mean WhatsApp.)
- 5. Viper [sic] (Translator's note: they probably mean Viber.)
- 6. Skype
- Tel: 7190304
- E-mail: email@example.com