kunori - Episode 3 Commentary (SAO II)
Jul 21st, 2014
- Asada Sinon's the person in Sinon and she's a first-year in a certain metropolitan high school in Tokyo.
- She's in the same year as Kirito, but she's a year younger, just as old as Suguha.
- I'll take the chance to clear it all up; Asuna & Liz were born in 2007, Kirito in 2008, Leafa and Sinon in 2009, and Silica in 2010.
- Shino lives on her own for some reason and she buys dinner from the supermarket on the way back on her own too.
- The tomatoes drawn look so fresh! I want a bite!
- In RL, taking the qualifying exams for a metro. high school requires students to "live with a guardian in the area",
- so it's not possible to live on their own, but the rules slacked 10 year later due to the declining birth rates. Just saying.
- The main characters are basically designed by abec, but Endou here and her two female sidekicks are Adachi's original design.
- The lethargy shown by Hikasa Yoko's acting's really brings the point across!
- Shino: "Call it a handgun, not a pistol!" …though she doesn't look like she has the composure for that…
- The café Shino and Shinkawa went in was modelled after another too.
- I went there countless times when I lived near Ueno. But unfortunately, it's closed since some time ago…
- Behemoth's back! (as an image…) I forgot to write this last time, but in the cut where the minigun's empty cartridges
- are scattered everywhere, you can see the links for the belt are drawn in too.
- Aoki, the animation director for arms, really paid attention to it!
- Dyne had to load the magazines in ep. 1, but does Behemoth have to link them in one by one too…?
- I tried loading them in Guam too, but the spring's too tough on the last 2, so I gave up, lol. But Sigsawa was as skilled as expected!
- The simple electronic lock on the apartment's door is part of the 《high surveillance society》 concept in my works.
- Security improves, but on the other hand, the lock's on lease and can be unlocked by the
- landlord, manufacturer, police, fire fighters, and medical staff in times of emergencies.
- There are electronic locks that use the Neurolinker for authorization in "Accel World", but that's like the improved version.
- I'm not saying that SAO is on the same timeline or anything of that sort, though.
- The futuristic model gun Shino took from the drawer is the participation prize from the 2nd BoB tournament.
- By the way, Sinon took 22nd place among 30 people.
- The direction for this cut is amazing, showing time backtracking and Shino's shortness of breath with the red blood cells going in reverse.
- Robberies using handguns in Japan numbered 75 in 2008, 100 in 2009, 60 in 2010, 44 in 2011, and 44 in 2012.
- It may look surprisingly high, but the arrest rate is increasing with the number decreasing, so the police are working hard.
- By the way, the number of handguns seized in 2012 here are in decreasing order, America (116), Japan (72), Belgium (29), Russia (12).
- Does Japan-made means those illegally manufactured? Or those of old Japanese troops?
- The gun used by the robber Shino came across is the Chinese《Type 54 Pistol》copied from Russia's Tokarev TT-33,
- commonly known as the Black Star or Heixin in Japan. A look at the data shows that its been less circulated lately.
- The Black Star's a 7.62mm small arms and its muzzle velocity is quick as it uses a lot of gunpower (like quicker than the original Tokarev)
- and its bullets are FMJ, not to mention it uses iron instead of lead at its core, so it apparently has high piercing power.
- Looks like it can pierce through bulletproof vests and shields too unless they are anti-Tokarev.
- But on the other hand, it'll apparently pierce through without doing significant damage. (depending on the spot shot, of course)
- I was wondering how much of this shocking but certainly vital scene could be animated, but I'm glad it was adapted exactly.
- It came to me again while watching, that the robber might have given up after Shino's first shot if he wasn't under the influence of drugs.
- Well, the drug addiction was the reason for the crime, so there was no helping it…
- Sawashiro's acting's the true highlight of this sequence; my breath practically died even while hearing it over the control room speakers.
- Kirito's beloved vehicle that made its first appearance in Extra Edition, the Yamaha DT125R.
- Low cc manual bikes are supposed to be rare in that era (though it's feeling that way nowadays too), not to mention, it's 2 strokes too…
- I want to give it a go someday too…!
- By the way, for new, domestic manual ones below 125cc, there are only 4 from Honda and 2 from Kawasaki available now in 2014.
- Oh wait, so there are quite a few of them, lol.
- Asuna spoke…! (continuing on from the end of episode 2)
- So, used to Undine Asuna and her blue hair yet? Spriggan Kirito's hair is close to his original now that it's not spiky, huh... lol.
- And Asuna doubts Kikuoka too. He appears in ALO as a character named《Chrysheight》. A pretty good mage according to Kirito.
- Kirito and… Asuna… on their left hands… there's a ring… is that it? The one that increases STR by 3?
- The glasses nurse is here…! Kirito calls her "Aki", but that's her surname, not her name, and it's 安岐 in kanji.
- The voice actor, Kawasumi Ayako, plays Blood Leopard in Accel too, but Nurse Aki talks about 10 times what Pard does, huh, lol.
- Aki has a cetain secret, but it's only revealed in the 10th book! (ingenious advertising tweet)
- Kikuoka went with a super-analog means of transmission like paper to prevent unauthorized disclosure of information…
- …not; I believe he just wanted Kirito to read it in front of Nurse Aki.
- There are many kinds of panic attacks, such as situational ones and panic disorders, and in Shino's case, it appears as a symptom of PTSD.
- As she did not recover even after years of therapy and medication at her home town, she doesn't visit the hospital regularly in Tokyo.
- Instead, Shino tries out exposure therapy via GGO. It also serves as self-suggestion, "If Sinon gets stronger, the attacks will stop".
- I caution against amateur advice on mental illnesses, but continuously taking prescribed psychoactive drugs… may not always be good either.
- Panic attacks are a combination of psychological stress and somatic symptoms. Stress causes perspiration, palpitation, shortness of breath,
- chills in the limbs, nausea, and such, resulting in the fear, "if this continues, I might faint or even die for real".
- Thus, I imagine that interaction will not occur in a full dive environment where most somatic sensations are blocked.
- Such a device would first have to be developed to know whether it truly works or not, however.
- There's someone strange here! The conversation between gamers happened on a BBS in the web and novel editions,
- but it became a live broadcast like Niconico Broadcast in the anime. It certainly shows the difference in generation.
- And on to the ED. The song and animation truly have great emotional impact after watching this episode…
- To end off, I had received some questions, so I would like to add on about the《bullet circle》and《bullet line》 from the last episode.
- The bullet line is displayed when the bullet circle is shown in the shooter's vision.
- In other words, strictly speaking, the prediction lines will move slightly while the prediction circle expands and contracts.
- However, the lines will be fixed the moment the shooter pulls the trigger and it'll stay still after that.
- Realistically, the shooter wouldn't aim for seconds with the circle out, so the line's practically fixed upon appearing until the impact.
- It was the same for Sinon, she immediately shot at Behemoth on the first contraction of the prediction circle.
- The shooter doesn't know where within the circle it'll land, but the one getting shot will know its exact trajectory.
- The reason why the system sides with the defenders is because GGO is a 《VRMMORPG where people fight with guns》.
- As there are death penalties with item and EXP drops, you can't just die after one fight and respawn repeatedly like in some casual FPS,
- but it's not an extremely realistic FPS where you die in one shot and you're immediately gone; that would be too severe for an RPG battle.
- Hence, GGO's designed to lower damage received by dodging bullets with the lines.
- But arms' accuracy and armor have been improving, so as it's《harder to evade》and things are《able to tank》 more than the early days,
- the situation's making people reconsider the STR-VIT build in a positive light.
- That said, AGI builds are still fine with the right fighting style… rather, people do say the AGI spamming Yamikaze is the true strongest.
- It's too early to sulk, Shinkawa! And that's it for the extra info! Thank you for accompanying me, please, come again for the 4th episode!
Please, Sign In to add comment