- Analysis of Occupy Eye's Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=oFhFYTz3yeM
- 00:01 video begins at Aotea
- 00:10 crowd peacefully marching
- 00:14 protesters on megaphone leading chants
- 00:30 protest signs
- 00:40 approach to sky city
- 00:55 arrived at sky city
- 01:15 professor Jane Kelsey speaking
- 01:45 petition boxes stacked together on federal street
- 02:20 crowd singing, chanting
- 03:10 children present
- 03:20 crowd at main entrance of sky city
- 03:40 security guards begin pushing crowd. crowd boos
- 04:00 police begin bodily grabbing & throwing protesters
- 04:23 security guard pushes protesters. protester raises
- his hands in the air to show he is not a threat. Security guard responds by pushing him again, and again, while protesters chant "shame, shame, shame"
- 04:30 large security guard begins bodily tackling protesters
- 05:00 security guard (supervisor?) watches the fracas, looking sad and anxious.
- 05:18 police officer (or security? hard to tell these days) grabs protester by the throat and pushes him
- 06:00 fire in petition boxes started (by cigarette butt)
- We are told that the horn sound is from a bicycle ridden by the girl who was later blamed by the national media and Police as being responsible for the violence.
- 06:15 Motorbike Cop tumbles to the ground while struggling with various protesters. Freeze this frame and you will see the bicycle chick grinds to a halt just shy of his position, ostensibly to avoid running into him.
- 06:17 the front wheel of the shows the bicycle and rider being pushed over sideways
- 06:19 Motorbike cop indiscriminately kicking people, even those who are trying to help him up
- 06:27 A protester holds Motorbike Cops hand, allowing him to turn over and then stand
- 06:33 A police officer throws a right hook into the face of a protester
- 06:52 Motorbike Cop is escorted away by police
- 07:55 Many in the crowd march back to Aotea Square.
- 08:04 An elderly gentleman on the sidewalk applauds the marchers
- 08:30 Marchers are moving freely and peacefully.
- BREAK: "Just minutes after the protesters returned to the park, a large number of police ensued. They began making an arrest."
- 08:49 The bicycle girl is being pulled by the hair, the shoulders, the upper arms and then wrists, by several police officers, while she squeals in fright and pain.
- 09:00 Her arms are pulled into a position that could easily dislocate her shoulders.
- 09:15 A nearby protester raises his hands to show he is not a threat yet at 09:17 is pushed to the ground from behind by another police officer
- 09:48 A protester is tightly gripped and pulled away by two officers while saying "don't hurt her, don't hurt her...they're breaking her f***ing arms"
- 09:57 Yet another protester has been pushed and pulled so many times that his t-shirt has nearly been torn off him
- 10:02 Despite her being already immobilised and unmoving, a police officer twice her size wraps his legs and arms around the girls body, while other officers do God only knows what to her.
- 10:10 A protester yells "Don't! She's a female!"
- 10:15 The girl is still completely still and unmoving, yet more male officers surround her on all sides.
- 10:20 Members of the media are pushed away and prevented from clearly filming what is happening to the girl.
- 10:24 Officers begin to make a wall with their bodies, preventing witnesses from seeing what is happening under the crush of police officers.
- 10:36 Occupy Eye reports that the girl went limp, possibly from fainting, so police lift her by her handcuffed wrists and drag her across the pavement.
- 10:40 Protesters cry "Shame!", "you're f***ing hurting her!" and "get her off the concrete!"
- 10:48 Apparently aware they are angering the crowd with their treatment of the girl, an officer picks up her tiny body and carries her across the Square.
- 11:00 Police lock arms into an "amoeba formation" surrounding the girl and bizarrely walking in circles across the grass
- 11:11 An officer shoves the protester who had already been knocked to the ground earlier. The protesters hands remain at his sides.
- 11:14 Despite the protester not retaliating, the police officer again shoves the protester - this time in the throat.
- 11:17 Officer turns to the right and shoves another protester.
- 11:20-11:40 more protesters bodily shoved by multiple cops.
- 11:44 The girl is walked away by a dozen cops & her distinctive appearance (she was wearing a Joker-sidekick costume and had platinum blonde hair) is viewable for the first time.
- 11:55 Infuriated by the wanton display of police aggression, the crowd begins to jeer the retreating officers, calling them "Brain Dead" for using dozens of police to arrest one girl.
- 12:00-12:10 The crowd becomes so angry that they demand the officers leave the square.
- 12:35 A woman on the loudhailer tells the police that they have violated their code of conduct and overstepped their jurisdiction.
- Video ends.
- Aware that they have bitten off more than they can proverbially chew, police stand-down and exit Aotea Square. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya7Ye4uDwpE&feature=player_embedded
- For more info including interviews with eye-witnesses taken immediately following the arrest at Aotea Square please visit http://occupysavvy.com/2012/12/08/d8-tppa-shutdown-protesters-refuse-to-be-ignored/
- The most telling part of the events for me as an eye-witness was after the police stood down and left the Square.
- Within seconds of their departure, the tension completely dissipated from the crowd, and all was again peaceful in Aotea Square.
- Proving beyond a shadow of a doubt that it was the Police who were responsible for the agitation of the crowd, not the other way around.
a guest Dec 10th, 2012 516 Never
Not a member of Pastebin yet? Sign Up, it unlocks many cool features!
RAW Paste Data