a guest Jan 12th, 2018 284 Never
- Date Thu, 6 Oct 2011 15:05:27 -0400
- From Dave Jones <>
- Subject RFC: virtualbox tainting.
- The number of bug reports we get from people with virtualbox loaded are
- truly astonishing. It's GPL, but sadly that doesn't mean it's good.
- Nearly all of these bugs look like random corruption. (corrupt linked lists,
- corrupt page tables, and just plain 'weird' crashes).
- This diff adds tainting to the module loader to treat it as we do with stuff
- from staging/ (crap). With this tainting in place, automatic bug filing tools
- can opt out of automatically filing kernel bugs, and inform the user to file
- bugs somewhere more appropriate.
- Signed-off-by: Dave Jones <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- diff --git a/kernel/module.c b/kernel/module.c
- index 04379f92..d26c9a3 100644
- --- a/kernel/module.c
- +++ b/kernel/module.c
- @@ -2653,6 +2653,10 @@ static int check_module_license_and_versions(struct module *mod)
- if (strcmp(mod->name, "ndiswrapper") == 0)
- + /* vbox is garbage. */
- + if (strcmp(mod->name, "vboxdrv") == 0)
- + add_taint(TAINT_CRAP);
- /* driverloader was caught wrongly pretending to be under GPL */
- if (strcmp(mod->name, "driverloader") == 0)
- add_taint_module(mod, TAINT_PROPRIETARY_MODULE);
RAW Paste Data