May 11th, 2020
- This might be a good device to add as an "output"/alarm/waker: https://www.amazon.com/Vibration-Vibrating-Sleepers-Wireless-Hearing/dp/B07XJYRYTZ/
- Good things about it:
- 1) It's wireless, and with a built-in rechargeable battery, which lasts a long time. (multiple nights without recharge needed, with shaking every 10 minutes or so, as confirmed during my crazy experiments)
- 2) Really strong shaking, effective at "force waking" a person up. (it's still not 100%, sometimes can sleep through it, but the most reliable single alarm I've found yet)
- 3) Very easy to have your custom Android apps control it: you literally just send one Android Intent Broadcast, and the official app communicates the command to the device. (both "turn on" and "turn off")
- 4) You can customize the vibration pattern! It has four different "vibration types", and 0-100% vibration strength, and you just send the intent broadcast a string of characters, with each character indicating a vibrate type. For example, I currently use "!WGGGGG;" for a simple pulse sequence, and "!WTRG0TRG0TRG0TRG;" for a heavy (and long) "force awake" pattern.
- 5) It's relatively affordable. ($32 atm)
- I've been using it for a few months now, and I'm quite happy with it. (it's the main alarm I use)
- By the way, regarding how to keep the device next to your skin so you feel it, I place it in this wristband, which has worked well: https://www.amazon.com/Phone-Armband-Sleeve-Running-Exercise/dp/B074XFRZFD
- P.S. Also, regarding output devices, it's worth mentioning that there are a variety of wifi or bluetooth controlled lightbulbs, which can be controlled from third-party apps on one's phone or PC (I use LifX, but there are many other options). I think most of the "hackers" on this forum already know of these, but I figured I would mention it just in case, eg. for newcomers. I like to combine multiple "outputs"/alarms together, like flashing lightbulbs + audio playback + bed-shaker vibration.
Please, Sign In to add comment