a guest Jan 22nd, 2019 71 Never
Not a member of Pastebin yet? Sign Up, it unlocks many cool features!
- One year seems to have flown by, and in another sense it feels as if I've been blogging about sweet confections for... well, forever! One might say that it's easy to savor life when you measure your year in desserts.
- I knew that the Sprinkle Bakes birthday cake could be no less than sprinkle encrusted. It's even sprinkled on the inside! For several years I've requested a Funfetti cake for my birthday, but now I've worked out a recipe for a scratch made version. It is made with buttermilk, so it's extra moist and not overly sweet - but you couldn't tell from looking at it. It's a visual sugar rush!
- What would a birthday party be without gifts? One lucky reader will receive a beautiful LeCreuset cast iron casserole. Because I heart you.
- "A casserole made for special occasions or year round use. The perfect size for baking potatoes or soufflés. Enameled cast iron heats quickly and retains heat beautifully. Limited lifetime warranty."
- * Can be used in the oven or on the stovetop
- *Enameled cast iron efficiently conducts and retains heat
- *Heavy, tight-fitting lid; knob on lid is ovenproof to 450 degrees F
- *Holds 2 quarts
- Also, 12 of you will get a special baked treat delivered to your doorstep! I wish I could tell you exactly what it is, but I will say that the recipe comes from my baking book that is due out next fall. So, consider it a sneak peek at things to come!
- (Contest entry form is at the bottom of this post.)
- To keep the mood festive, I've made birthday hats for the guests. They do not love this idea.
- Have you seen these enormous gummy bears yet? I laughed when I first saw them and said "Who on earth would buy that?!"...ahem.
- And then I walked out of the store with one. But hey, it makes a pretty cute cake topper!
- Sprinkles inside and out!
- Sprinkle Bakes' Sprinkle Cake [click for printable recipe]
- Serves 12-15
- Sprinkle Cake:
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup rainbow sprinkles (I like the Marble Mix'ins variety found in the ice cream section)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease the bottom and sides of two 9" (or three 8") pans and line with parchment paper. Grease parchment and set aside.
- In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat all ingredients together except rainbow sprinkles. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes, scraping down the bowl occasionally. When thoroughly mixed, gently fold in rainbow sprinkles. Stir only briefly, because the colors will begin to run quickly.
- Pour batter evenly into pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool on wire racks.
- Swiss Buttercream Frosting:
- 2 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup water
- 4 large egg whites
- 6 sticks of softened butter (yes, 6 sticks!)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, dissolve the sugar in the water. Stirring constantly, bring mixture to a boil and cook until 240 degrees is reached on a candy thermometer.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites until they are foamy. While mixer is running, add the hot sugar syrup to the egg whites in a thin stream. Temper the mixture slowly and carefully.
- Switch whisk attachment for the paddle attachment, and add the softened butter, 1 tablespoon at a time. Frost cooled cakes with buttercream.
- A variety of nonpareils, sprinkles, quins, sugar confetti and anything else you want to throw at this cake. Sprinkle to your heart's content!
- THIS CONTEST IS NOW CLOSED. THANKS TO ALL WHO ENTERED!
- Contest Rules
- To enter, you must be a follower or become a follower of Sprinkle Bakes. Leave your name and email address in the form below. Also, leave a comment and tell me about your favorite birthday cake! My favorite was a Mrs. PacMan cake that was made for my 9th Birthday. I still love looking at pictures of that cake!
- The deadline is October 6th and a winner will be chosen and announced October 7th.
- A little fine print for this contest:
- Contest is open to US and Canadian residents only. Email addresses are kept confidential. Winner will be selected by Sprinkle Bakes using Random.org. Winner will be notified via email and will have 24 hours to confirm receipt of the email. If the winner does not reply within 24 hours, another winner will be selected.
RAW Paste Data