a guest Dec 12th, 2019 81 Never
Not a member of Pastebin yet? Sign Up, it unlocks many cool features!
- ##B I L L
- ###Create a sui generis seat for the Speaker of the House of Commons; to make provision for a by-election following the election of a new Speaker; and for connected purposes.
- *BE IT ENACTED by the Queen’s Most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Lords, and Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows –*
- ####1 Speaker’s Seat
- (1) There is to be a seat in the House of Commons to be held by the Speaker of the House of Commons.
- (2) For the purposes of any Acts relating to seats in the House of Commons, the seat is to be treated as a constituency seat.
- (3) Upon the election of a new Speaker of the House of Commons, the Speaker is treated to have immediately resigned their prior seat and been elected in the Speaker’s seat.
- ####2 By-election
- (1) Upon the election of a new Speaker of the House of Commons and resulting vacancy, there is to be a by-election for the Speaker’s prior seat.
- (2) The date of this by-election is to be determined by the Electoral Commission.
- (3) If the Electoral Commission determines that the vacancy arises sufficiently close to a General Election, they may opt to leave the seat vacant until the next General Election.
- ####3 General elections
- In a General Election, the Speaker is automatically re-elected to their seat.
- ####4 Resignation
- By resigning as the Speaker of the House of Commons, the Speaker also resigns their seat.
- ####5 Extent, commencement, and short title
- (1) This Act may be cited as the Speaker’s Seat Act 2020.
- (2) This Act comes into force upon receiving Royal Assent.
- (3) This Act extends to the entirety of the United Kingdom.
- **This bill was written by the Rt Hon. sam-irl CB MBE PC MP on behalf of the Labour Party.**
RAW Paste Data