a guest Sep 14th, 2016 716 Never
Not a member of Pastebin yet? Sign Up, it unlocks many cool features!
- Hey everyone!
- It's the beginning of a new quarter, and that means it's time to save 40¢ on tuition by waiving the portion of your activities fee that goes towards Autism Speaks, described as "the only major medical or mental health nonprofit whose legitimacy is constantly challenged by a large percentage of the people affected by the condition they target."
- How to defund (takes about 15 seconds):
- 1) Go to waivers.stanford.edu
- 2) Check the box that says "Autism Speaks U Stanford ($0.40)"
- 3) Click submit
- Why defund?
- Follow this link for detailed info, but here's a summary (the link is two years old but I think it's still accurate). Autism Speaks...
- ...does not have any autistic people in leadership positions
- ...has historically supported anti-vaccination movements
- ...has supported schools that administer electric shocks in a manner that the UN considers torture as a means of 'treating' autistic students
- ...doesn't spend its money in an effective or helpful manner (for instance, it spends an inordinate amount of its revenue, almost 25%, on fundraising campaigns) (for reference, the American Red Cross spends 6% on fundraising and is still not considered extremely efficient)
- ...uses offensive rhetoric (e.g. "an Autism Speaks executive stated that she had considered placing her child in the car and driving off the George Washington Bridge, going on to say that she did not do so only because she had a normal child as well")
- If you don't act now, your tuition dollars will be supporting this group! D:
- STUDENT GROUPS ARE IMPORTANT PLEASE DON'T DEFUND ALL OF THEM JUST THE PROBLEMATIC ONES (I.E. THIS ONE)
RAW Paste Data