SHARE
TWEET

JLube Testing by /ftt/ ScienceAnon

a guest Jan 21st, 2018 6,841 Never
Not a member of Pastebin yet? Sign Up, it unlocks many cool features!
  1. Ok, I've been working on alternate prep protocols for JLube, I've found some interesting things. everyone probably knows that JLube is notorious for leaving clumps of semi-dissolved powder behind, but I've found that by dissolving it first in a less polar solvent you can get it almost dissolved.
  2.  
  3. I set up three trial batches in 50mL Falcon tubes, each had 15mL of liquid and 1/4 teaspoon of JLube powder. The trial solvents were vegetable glycerine and propylene glycol, with a control sample of deionized water. I had also intended to try PEG 400 (polyethylene glycol with an average molecular weight of 400, about a 13-mer) but it didn't arrive from Amazon in time. The JLube was added at room temperature, the tubes were sealed and shaken by hand to mix.
  4.  
  5. The PPG stayed more liquid, most of the JLube powder was taken up but there were still some granular clumps in the liquid. It stayed very liquid, didn't stick to the plastic or clump up. The VG started to thicken up instantly, it made a very thick slurry that clung to the sides of the tube, I was initially afraid that it would seize up and polymerize. The water refused to take up the JLube very well, there were many chunks and clumps at the bottom of the tube after mixing.
  6.  
  7. To solubilize it, all three tubes were moved to a simmering double boiler pot on the stove and left there for about a half hour. When I came back to check on them, both the PPG and VG samples were cleared, and the VG had become much thinner, it was no longer clinging to the tube walls. Not a lot of improvement on the water tube, and it had almost burst from the pressure buildup.
  8.  
  9.  
  10. [ATTACHED IMAGE] https://i.imgur.com/meB8A9B.jpg [/ATTACHED IMAGE]
  11.  
  12. For the next step, I added 40mL of deionized water to each tube, mixed and observed. The PPG was difficult to mix with the water, the chem data sheet suggests that it doesn't fully mix until it hits 90C, which explains that. The VG sample mixed readily with the water, and after a minute of hand shaking it appeared clear. The water+JLube solution was not improved by the addition of more water, though it did seem more solubilized than it had been when it went into the double boiler. All three samples were put back into the boiler after mixing, and will be ready for testing once they have a chance to cool down. Will let you know how that goes!
RAW Paste Data
We use cookies for various purposes including analytics. By continuing to use Pastebin, you agree to our use of cookies as described in the Cookies Policy. OK, I Understand
Top