Baten Kaitos 100% FAQ
Baffan Feb 6th, 2015 (edited) 46,015 Never
Not a member of Pastebin yet? Sign Up, it unlocks many cool features!
- In December 2016, I did a 5th Baten Kaitos 100% run. The final time is 341:20:03. Yes, 341 HOURS.
- - Why is it so long?
- In this game, items evolve over time. There is an item, the Shampoo, that takes literally 2 weeks (= 336 hours) to evolve into Splendid Hair. Don't ask why the creators decided this, they probably love memes.
- - But if it takes 336 hours, why is your record a little longer, like 341?
- Because the items pause evolving when in the menus. The thing is, this is a card-based RPG. So you are menuing nearly ALL THE TIME: when you want to change your decks, when you select your loot at the end of fights, when you are in a shop... Which can very quickly add tenths of hours when you play casually. And I am not exaggerating. That means, I have to minimize absolutely every menus in the whole game, and I have to stay outside of menus while idling. Also, you get the Shampoo at around 50 minutes. Then, when it evolved, you have to fight the Final Boss and the True Final Boss, which takes 25 to 30 minutes. In the end, it means the theoretical minimum time is around 338 hours. But the time spent in menus is always, ALWAYS, WAY longer than you imagine.
- - Does it mean you didn't sleep for 15 days?
- No, of course not. That's even the opposite: I slept as much as I wanted. The thing is, when you get the Shampoo, you need to WAIT 14 days. Which means I have 336 hours to do everything else. But I only need like 60 hours to complete every events. So I just need to play the game around 4 hours per day, then I can do something else. Like sleeping, or working. This is even beneficial because I need to wait for some items to evolve, a ton of them take like 8, 12 24, or even 40 hours to evolve, and so spending time not playing is a good thing. But yes, even if this is a speedrun, I spent 80% of the time not playing.
- - Do you just need to get the Shampoo, and then you are done basically?
- NO. HECK NO. As I INSISTED before, it doesn't mean it is an easy, lazy, inactive speedrun. You really NEED to go fast in your menus. This is absolutely capital. Because you can lose 30, 40, even 50 HOURS in the menus VERY EASILY. For example, in my very first run, I thought I was super fast with my menus, but I still lost 16 hours in them. It made me realize even more how menus were brutal. For the 4th run, I only lost 5 hours in the menus. That's how much I improved. I insist on this point because a ton of people think I just need to get the Shampoo and then it's done. It is not. When I get the Shampoo, it only begins.
- - So what was your plan in the end?
- Doing the same thing every day: Playing 4 hours (and at the same time everyday, so that people could plan when they had to join), then letting the game idle for 20 hours. This way, there were daily content, and there also were the required idle time.
- - Couldn't you just set the console ahead two weeks for this?
- Nope, you need time to pass for real.
- - What are all the requirements for 100%?
- Getting the 1022 Magnus, the 141 SP Combos, and the 58 music tracks. Those 3 conditions cover every important sub-events of the whole game. Doing all sidequests and getting every character level 99 don't trigger events, that's why they are not required for 100%.
- - How long would it be without the 2 weeks required for the Splendid Hair?
- It would still be between 80 and 100 hours long because of the "Wonder MOMO" item. And even without it, there are a few items, that you can only get "endgame", that take 48 hours to evolve. And even without them, there are 2 items that take 40 hours to evolve. Etc. This is why I am not considering doing an arbitrary category where I would remove arbitrary items, because I wouldn't be able to agree with myself on what to remove. So I prefer to stick with 100%.
- - Why did you decide to play only 1 island per day?
- Because it fits perfectly well with how the game is structured. Basically, we can say that there are 13 zones in the game that have more or less all the same size. And I only need to play like 4 hours per day. So, by doing 1 Island per day, I can show an equivalent amount of action per day. It fits perfectly! For a comparison, in my first 2 runs, I rushed through the game more or less. By doing this, everything was done in 8 days. Which means the last 6 days were absolutely boring, for both the viewers and me, because I was doing nearly nothing. That's mainly why I decided to split the run per days.
- You can check the route, split per days, here https://docs.google.com/document/d/17Qdsb05xIawDoUsxgvkquIHs_C83kqoV1hTpXd9XYtw/
- - How do you minimize the menus as much as possible?
- I created a tracker for this purpose, for both me and ad the viewers, so that I don't need to menu all the time to see which items I have. You can see it at https://baffan.com/bk100/
- - Is this the longest speedrun ever? Is this even a speedrun?
- What you need to know is that for the first 2 runs, I had issues calling this a speedrun. Whether on Reddit, Twitter, or anywhere, I never said it was a speedrun. Even if I posted every time on the /r/speedrun subreddit with the [WR] tag, I never wrote the "speedrun" word. I could hardly call that a speedrun because I considered that the fact of not being able to watch it entirely made it not a speedrun. From the point of view of the stream on Twitch, nobody can humanly and physically watch the same thing 340+ hours without dying. And from the point of the recordings, no matter which kind, I would need a full recording of the entirety of the run. Which I don't. I use a laptop, it can overheat, it has a small capacity hard disk. And even if I did have a full recording, I would probably not upload it entirely. Because all the sleeping time is pointless. I would cut the sleep times. Then people could say it's spliced, etc.
- But all of that was in the past. Because no matter what you can think, in a pure technical point of view, yes this is a speedrun. And the longest one existing so far. After all, I have a timer, I had to get the Shampoo as fast as possible, I need to do my menus as fast as I can, when it evolves I have to complete the game as fast as possible, and I have to route this entirely, without forgetting any of the items you can miss. And they are very numerous. And most of all, I improved my time. Thrice. And there is still more time to save. And other attempts will happen in the future. So yes, if you see things like that, yes it is a speedrun and I consider it this way.
- - Will you do a 6th run in the future?
- Yes, because there will always be time to save! Also, I would love to do a huge event. Maybe someday, with some company, for a marathon, for charity, for an anniversary of the game, for whatever reason, we will try to get a giant hard disk drive for some local recording, a very big stream, a very powerful computer, etc etc. I would like to do this, it would be very funny. People could make some talk while I sleep, the cam would be funnier, etc etc. And we could finally have a full local recording and non-stop stream, and nobody could contest the fact it's a speedrun. That would be awesome.
- - But in the end, why do you do this?
- Because this game is fun! And streaming something for 2 weeks is incredibly funny, people are very supportive. In the end, it's simply that I enjoy this a lot, and that what matters after all. :)
- Here is the Playlist for the 5th run:
- Here are the Highlights for the 4th run:
- Here are the Highlights for the 3rd run:
- Here are the Highlights for the 2nd run:
- All that is remaining from the very first run is a highlight of the last hour:
- (You should watch at 29:06 because I cry and it's funny)
- ~ Baffan
RAW Paste Data