- I'm not well read when it comes to socialist ideology, but I'm a supporter of many of it's core values. Have that in mind.
- The way I see it, socialism does not ignore personal freedom, it just doesn't see total economic freedom as true freedom.
- An old liberal saying (maybe socialists use it as well, idk) says that "my freedom ends where your freedom begins", meaning that you can do what you want as long as you are not infringing on other people's freedom. A socialist would say that economic freedom as we see it in today's capitalist system is impossible without infringing on other people's freedom through exploitation.
- There are many ways to describe freedom, but the core of all the definitions is the ability to make your own, personal choices. How can you do that when you are heavily in debt and living from paycheck to paycheck? How can a man be free if another man has power over him?
- The socialist solution is to make it so that the collective (most often represented by the state) is the only one with power over the individual. An ideal socialist state will also never use this power to repress the individual (of course many self-proclaimed socialist states have done this, and it's this that in my eyes is the central flaw with for example the USSR)
- In socialism you also have the idea that equality outweighs personal freedom. If a free society means that some people necessarily have more freedom than other people, is that really a free society? No, in my opinion.
- Taxation is an example of how you take away some of someones freedom (money equals power and gives you a wider range of possibilities) and spreading it out (things like social security and public health care makes people less dependent on their employers, and give them more possibilities)
- I'm sorry that this turned into a wall of text, I just wanted to share my thoughts on freedom and socialism. I would also like to again point out that I have not read a lot of socialist literature, so I don't know of this is in line with Marx's views.
a guest Dec 29th, 2013 45 Never
Not a member of Pastebin yet? Sign Up, it unlocks many cool features!
RAW Paste Data