- After an extensive test, we uncovered a flaw in uTorrent's caching system for writes, which can be reproduced.
- To be precise, the "Disable Windows caching of disk writes" option, which is enabled by default.
- Enabling this option bypasses the Windows caching system for writes.
- Discussions in the forum about file corruption made us decide to do some tests.
- What we did is download the files from the "Mame 0.138 Titles" torrent.
- The torrent contains 6469 small files (not zipped).
- First we used uTorrent v2.0.2 with default settings.
- Saved the files in e.g. "d:\mame\titles" (short directory names are required for clrmamepro) and stopped the torrent when it finished.
- When you scan (check only) with clrmamepro and the provided datfile, it will result in reported errors (wrong size and unneeded files).
- With each test cmp reported errors with different files.
- We removed all the files and then downloaded the same torrent with v.1.6.1 up to v1.7.7 with fresh settings.
- Scanning the set with clrmamepro produced no errors (except the unneeded _ReadMe_.txt file)
- It went wrong when testing with v1.8 build 11813, which started producing errors again.
- One of the changes mentioned in the changelog of that version:
- Other major features are bypassing the Windows system cache (see the Disk Cache settings)
- The same test with v2.0.2 and "Disable Windows caching of disk writes" disabled produced no errors (except the unneeded _Readme_.txt again).
- The uTorrent write cache problem can be bypassed by going to:
- Options -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Disk Cache
- and disable (uncheck): "Disable Windows caching of disk writes"
- However, with version 3.1 and later even this bypass won't help anymore!
- We will (try to) report this to uTorrent development (Status: uTorrent devs answered in this thread...).
- To keep this thread readable, post clear and relevant questions/answers only please!
- The more useful information we get, the better we can help to get this solved.
- NU, Petr1fied and ARMAX.
- This post has been edited by newuzer: Mar 10 2012, 08:46 PM
uTorrent write cache bug
a guest Apr 8th, 2012 1,686 Never
Not a member of Pastebin yet? Sign Up, it unlocks many cool features!
RAW Paste Data