- This is Google's cache of http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Orania-retains-status-quo-20001204. It is a snapshot of the page as it appeared on 27 Mar 2015 17:07:09 GMT. The current page could have changed in the meantime. Learn more
- Tip: To quickly find your search term on this page, press Ctrl+F or ⌘-F (Mac) and use the find bar.
- Full version
- Orania retains status quo
- 2000-12-05 06:08
- Johannesburg - The Freedom Front welcomed Monday's ruling by the Kimberley High Court that the transitional representative council of the Northern Cape town of Orania is to remain in place indefinitely.
- FF chairman, Pieter Mulder said in a statement the judgment was an important psychological victory for the community of Orania.
- He said the pressure was now on Local Government Minister Sydney Mufamadi to honour his promise that the dispute would be solved after Tuesday's elections.
- "Orania will continue to strive for an independent local government for the town," Mulder said.
- The Kimberley High Court on Monday indefinitely postponed Orania's application for a review of the provincial government's decision to abolish the town's current transitional representative council and to merge it with surrounding municipalities Strydenburg and Hopetown.
- Until the court case is finalised, the council is to retain all its existing rights and remain in existence as a legal entity for the purposes of further negotiations and litigation.
- The judgment was the result of a settlement reached in the morning between Orania and six of the 48 respondents in the matter. - Sapa
a guest Apr 11th, 2015 720 Never
Not a member of Pastebin yet? Sign Up, it unlocks many cool features!
RAW Paste Data