a guest Dec 6th, 2018 95 Never
Not a member of Pastebin yet? Sign Up, it unlocks many cool features!
- Katerina hi,
- sorry for the late answer. I will give my answers inside your email.
- On 26/11/18 10:06 μ.μ., Sornová, Katerina wrote:> Hi,
- > after today's presentation I have a lot of questions :)
- > If we use Reasonable graph in our RDA trainings...
- > 1) are you working on the new RDA entities as time span, nomen and agent?I think that for proper RDA training, we may need to modify and adjust the various forms and labels.
- But in general we already have support for the entities.
- timespan: Many fields or relationships have a time span, i.e. start_date - end_date.
- nomen: The thema-nomen support in the demo is as follows. When one entity (Work, Expression, Manifestation, etc) is associated with a subject (place, concept, genre, etc), the user can specify at the relationship level, the title under which the subject will appear in the relationship. So effectively the associated subject entity is the "thema" and the title on the relationship can be considered as the "nomen".
- agent: the demo offers 3 entities that fall under the agent super-entity. Person, Family and Organisation. All there are specialisations of the Agent entity.
- By using the inference module, we can specify rules that transform the demo's entities and relationships, to the specific proper RDA concepts.
- And as I wrote earlier, in a real RDA training installation, we would modify the entities, the relationships, the forms and the web pages to follow the exact RDA models.
- > 2) is it possible to bring some data set in MARC into RG? do you have some tools for converting MARC data?Yes it is. We have 2 such tools.
- One is z39.50 for single record import and the second is a command line tool for bulk import.
- In both cases, we will have to make adjustments on the mapping that you will be needing.
- > 3) do you use Unicode characters, so we can use Finnish alphabets as ä, ö, å...
- Yes we do, since Greek also need Unicode support.
- > 4) is it possible to integrate some Finnish ontologies, name authority files into RG?
- Yes we can. We will extend the RDA/FRBR ontology in order to add the entities you are mentioning. The extension will cover the cataloguing forms, as well as the search and opac pages.
- Also we can import any local taxonomy that you may be using OR any already existing dataset.
- > 5) where do descriptions done during training day go, where are they saved?
- I am guessing that by descriptions you are referring to "entities" and "relations". All these are saved into the dataset.
- Each entity and relation is associated with the user that created it and also there is a creation timestamp. And we can have reports for the records created by any user in any given timespan.
- Furthermore, we can implement "user collections", in which all data entered by a user will belong to. So we can have isolation of the data entered by each user, so that each user may "see" only his/her own data and not the others. The latter is not yet implemented, so we will need some development there.
- > 6) is it possible to have visualization/tree of the work done during training days?
- Yes it is. We can have a graph representation of the dataset based on some criteria. For instance the work entered by a user OR the work entered with a time period, etc.
- To give you a hint of such a functionality, at the moment we provide an image with the subgraph of the entities associated with any Work/Expression/Manifestation entity.
- If you visit the opac page of such an entity, next to its title is the logo of the platform. If you select it, you will be led to the image I am talking about.
- The URL is
- where the number 8232 is the unique id of each entity
- > If we use Reasonable graph in our trainings, are there any costs to us? Or if we use your software, how much you can do for us?
- > Talking about money, brings us to the last question, which is about your organization. How do you finance your development/activities of RG?
- Our business model is service based. We offer services for developing, modifying, supporting, training on the ReasonableGraph platform. And we charge these services on a per-hour model. The platform is provided with GPL licence and we do not charge licence fees.
- Moreover we can offer the platform under different licence, e.g. a proprietary one, since we are the copyright owners.
- The usual case of a project for installing RG is as follows:
- First there is a phase where we implement the specific model and desired functionalities of the client. This phase is charged on a project base, so that the client may have control over the cost.
- Then we enter the support period. In almost all cases, we make together with the client an annual plan on how many hours the client will be needing, depending on the budget of the client, its needs, whether the client will outsource the entire support OR we will be working with the IT of the client, etc.
- Furthermore we offer hosting services to some of our clients, if they do not want to have their own server infrastructure.
- So coming back to you question, on what will cost to you or how much we can do for you:
- We can modify the platform as much as you require to meet your specific needs.
- The cost can vary from 1 manhour/year to anything that you will need. Our goal is for you to get actual services for what your are paying.
- Regarding your next question, on how we finance RG:
- We have a private company and in general we offer services for developing custom-built software. Not only for RG or cultural organisations, but also for companies in other sectors. From that, we have invested hugely and still investing in developing and promoting RG.
- I hope that my answers are helpful. I you wish, we can talk in more detail about constructing a proposal for setting up the RG platform in your organisation.
- I am looking forward to receiving your feedback.
- best regards,
- > Best regards
- > Katerina
RAW Paste Data