- On 4/20/13 2:nn PM, "" <@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
- - (4 quoted lines)
- >I'll volunteer my time, if someone can point me in the right direction.
- >I like history, and am a data packrat, so to speak. I don't want to lose
- >the data.
- There's a difference between throwing away data and not giving it to
- someone just because he doesn't like how his business decisions turned
- out. I suspect we're not actually losing the data.
- The guy is being a tool about his unhappiness with how it's ending, going
- so far as to very subtly solicit anyone with access to the whole database
- to send him a copy on the QT. In discussing how people are scraping pages
- as quickly as they can, he says "While companies like Yahoo work to
- destroy as much human history as possibleŠ"
- I guess I didn't realize that the stockholders are under some obligation
- to pay for the servers and electricity to keep upcoming, geocities, etc.
- online FOREVER.
- He could have included provisions about what happened if Y! shut down
- upcoming in his contract, but he apparently didn't. Too bad!
- I agree with one thing he says. If he couldn't live with all of the
- possible consequences of selling to Yahoo, he shouldn't have done it.
- - (30 quoted lines)
- >On Apr 19, 2013, at 7:nn PM, "" <@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
- >> My final thought on this: the best revenge is living well. We need to
- >>continue to do great work and release great products so the story stops
- >>being about how we are shutting down failures.
- >> In regards to the dump: I assume legal/privacy. Someone needs to write
- >>a tool probably to dump the public data, and who has the time?
- >> On Apr 19, 2013, at 16:nn, "" <@yahoo-inc.com>
- >>> Andy has a long rant at his site:
- >>> http://waxy.org/2013/04/the_death_of_upcomingorg/
- >>> I somewhat agree with him: why can't we just dump an
- >>> archive and make it available to the public?
- >>> Anyone here with access to servers care to comment?
- >>> I just hate to collect any more negativity than we
- >>> already get.
- >>> --
a guest Apr 20th, 2013 891 Never
Not a member of Pastebin yet? Sign Up, it unlocks many cool features!
RAW Paste Data