Highway to Hell
TerminusEst13 Jan 2nd, 2017 (edited) 252 Never
Not a member of Pastebin yet? Sign Up, it unlocks many cool features!
- HIGHWAY TO HELL (AKA not-DUMP 4)
- Doomguy wants to go on a road trip and travel the world! But he keeps running out of gasoline...
- A ZDoom-based megawad with a wide variety of locales, Highway to Hell is a mapset where the start and the goal is always the same: Doomguy's car ran out of gas, and he steps out of the car and needs to get a can of gas from the map, which is infested with demons. He goes through the map, kills everything, grabs the gasoline, and returns to his car before driving to the next area.
- Unlike previous DUMPs, Highway to Hell is going to be quite linear. There's no constant inventory reset, there's no hub structure, it's a straightforward romp from one map to another.
- PROJECT GUIDOLINES:
- - A BASE .PK3 IS PROVIDED TO YOU WITH THE CAR, THE GASOLINE TO PICK UP, THE SCRIPT, AND THE STARTING POINT. This is yours to build off of. Make what you will, but you must build off of it.
- - Compatibility point is ZDoom 2.8.1, the stable February 22nd 2016 build available at ZDoom.org, http://zdoom.org/files/zdoom/2.8/zdoom-2.8.1.zip (assuming you're on Windows). If you were looking forward to features like ZScript or Line Portals, sorry.
- - Assume the player enters each level with about 50% health and treat the starts with roughly that amount in mind. Enough to give them trouble, not enough to kill them instantly.
- - All spawn areas must be quiet at first. The player should ALWAYS have time to breathe and take in their surroundings first before getting thrown into the arena.
- - Design your level primarily around typical run-and-gun style gameplay. ZDoom technology is encouraged but not to the point where you're making an escape-the-room, tower-defense, timed escape, escort mission, or invasion level. Focus on running and gunning.
- - As said, ZDoom technology is encouraged. Slopes, 3D floors, colored lighting, etc, etc, go crazy. Building around jumping and crouching is VERY encouraged, but platforming is not.
- - Custom resources (new sprites, new sounds, new textures) are encouraged, but don't go crazy so that they overshadow the map--if your resources take up over 50mb, I'm not accepting it.
- - This isn't really a hardcore guideline but PLEASE make sure you're not using the Textures lump for your textures. Fuck the Textures lump.
- - Vanilla monsters, vanilla weapons. Nothing fancy. We're aiming for compatibility with gameplay mods. The only custom monsters will be the boss battles, and those will be an extreme rarity.
- - ALL MUSIC MUST BE IN MODULE/TRACKER/.SPC/.VGZ FORMAT. JAMMING IS MANDATORY, CITIZEN.
- - There is a chance your map will be edited/adjusted/tweaked by other people. Be open to this. Your map is cool and neat, other people molesting it does not make it less cool and neat.
- - If your map is not compatible, you will be asked to fix it. If you don't fix it or fall off the face of the earth, we'll fix it for you or kick it out. It's that simple.
- - Declare what tier of map you're taking up. Either via access to the spreadsheet or (if you're anon) just responding to me saying what tier of map you'll be working with.
- - Make your maps. Whoah, a mapping community project that maps? Say it ain't so!
- - No, seriously, make 'em. We'll spend two weeks doing this, referred to as a "round".
- - At the end of the two-week round, everyone submits the progress on their maps and what they've done.
- - Everyone's maps are stuffed onto a Google Drive/Dropbox folder in one lump sum and everyone else plays them. Comment on the Excel spreadsheet about basic thoughts/opinions. Nothing super in-depth, just stuff you liked and stuff you didn't like.
- - Continue into the next two-week round. Loop back around as needed until finish. Each round is two weeks, so after every two weeks we'll keep checking up on each other.
- WE DO NOT EXPECT THESE MAPS TO BE COMPLETELY 100% FINISHED IN TWO WEEKS. The project will likely take several months to completely finish.
- This is a system primarily designed for making sure people don't fall off the face of the Earth, not a hardcore must-adhere-to system. If you want to submit your map after one week, sure (you absolute madman). If you want to look over what everyone's done before a couple days, go ahead.
RAW Paste Data