- my heart felt heavy as I leaned in and gazed at her crystal ball.
- her hands moved slowly around it and she chanted.
- the noises of the carnival and all the people in it surrounded the tent like a blanket.
- I was afraid of what I would see in it, what she would see.
- the torch light highlighted her moving hands strangely, and the rings on her fingers each took different rhythms in catching the light and sparkling.
- she had her eyes closed now and I looked at her face and saw the way that the experiences of her life had painted upon it. I felt sadness for all the pain she had surely been through. her face looked so tired. but it was also beautiful. she must have been in her 50s.
- her eyes opened, and the sharp contrast of her whites against her irises pierced the space between us.
- she looked straight at me without looking back at the crystal ball. goosebumps ran down me. her eyes broke first, but then her lips into a smile, and she laughed. and I laughed too. and deep within the crystal ball, a man was also laughing.
RAW Paste Data