- December 13, 2013 – Renton, WA – Piranha Games Inc., a leading PC games developer, and Wizards of the Coast , a subsidiary of Hasbro, and leader in entertaining the lifestyle gamer, today announced the release of the highly-anticipated Pantheon of Planeswalkers. Available via Steam (on May 1), Pantheon of Planeswalkers is a stunning fee-to-play MOBA-like game based on the popular Magic: The Gathering brand and its hit format, Commander.
- Players will take on the role of a Planeswalker directing Legendary characters to test their might against opposing players across the internet in this thrilling addition to the MOBA genre. Competition will be fierce as players work to rise up the ranked ladders to win invites to the Pro Player Club, with its own rewards including access to an invitation-only tournament circuit.
- Unique features of the game client, designed by Piranha Games Inc., include native Twitch.tv streaming support, Twitter and Facebook integration, and custom private tournaments and ladders.
- "We wanted this game to have the true Magic: The Gathering feel," said Elaine Chase, Brand Director for Magic: The Gathering at Wizards of the Coast. "So, unlike other MOBA games, where the player is just an anonymous director for their in-game units, we wanted to immerse the player by letting them play as their favorite Planeswalkers, each with their own unique spells. Outwit your opponents with Jace Beleren by casting Jace's Ingenuity. Unleash your rage with Chandra Nalaar by casting Chandra's Fury. It really adds a level of depth to the game that sets it apart from current offerings."
- Players will choose from an ever-expanding array of Legendary characters to battle against their foes in this free-to-play game. With full Steam integration, they'll even be able to purchase additional characters and upgrades through the Steam Store and trade items through the Steam Marketplace.
- "Nobody is happier about bringing Magic: The Gathering to the e-sports fold than we are," said Russ Bullock, President of Piranha Games. "I've been a huge Magic fan for years, and nothing has made me more excited than the first time my Akroma, Angel of Wrath completed her set of Kaldra equipment to transform into a giant Avatar and slay the Shivan Dragon. It was like Christmas morning for a Magic player."
- About Magic: The Gathering
- Magic: The Gathering is the first and most widely played trading card game. Players take on the role of Planeswalkers – powerful mages who battle others for glory, knowledge and conquest. Their weapons include spells, creatures, and artifacts gathered from a vast Multiverse of unique fantasy worlds. With more than 12 million players and fans worldwide, Magic is printed in 11 languages and played in more than 70 countries. For more information about Magic 2014, visit http://www.magicthegathering.com.
- About Wizards of the Coast
- Wizards of the Coast LLC, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc. (NASDAQ:HAS), is the leader in entertaining the lifestyle gamer. Wizards' players and fans are members of a global community bound together by their love of both digital gaming and in-person play. The company brings to market a range of gaming experiences under powerful brand names such as MAGIC: THE GATHERING, DUNGEONS & DRAGONS, and KAIJUDO. Wizards is also a publisher of fantasy series fiction with numerous New York Times best-sellers. For more information about our world renowned brands, visit the Wizards of the Coast Web site at http://www.wizards.com.
- About Piranha Games Inc.
- Piranha Games Inc. is a premier video game developer based in Vancouver, British Columbia. Previous collaborations inlude Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 and Duke Nukem Forever. Their recent success with MechWarrior Online has put them at the forefront of digital games development. For more information, visit the Piranha Games Inc. site at http://www.piranhagames.com.
minusX Dec 13th, 2013 16,008 Never
RAW Paste Data