- I found that the HD204UI disks get the Advance Power Management setting of 224:
- hdparm -I /dev/sdb | grep Advanced
- Advanced power management level: 224
- * Advanced Power Management feature set
- The problem with this setting when you use (tested) at least RAID5 or 6 the disks will get a Load Cycle Count every 30 seconds.
- The Synology or controller polls all the disks every 30 seconds (you see the lights blink from the first disk to the last one in the array).
- This results in immense Load Cycle Counts (this disk is 3 weeks old and already has 30,000 load cycles):
- smartctl -a -d sat /dev/sdb | grep Load_Cycle_Count
- 225 Load_Cycle_Count 0x0032 097 097 000 Old_age Always - 30524
- If you set the advanced powermanagement to 254 or 255 (which is less green offcource) this problem is solved.
- Please investigate this and patch it in future versions, because at this rate the disks will break after ~1,5 - 2 years (600.000+ total cycles) and the clicking noise is terrible to hear from a harddisk
- Thanks for your time.
- PS, i tested this on 2x DS1812+ of my own, and also with a DS1812+ of a friend of mine who has the same disk type.
a guest Apr 10th, 2012 106 Never
Not a member of Pastebin yet? Sign Up, it unlocks many cool features!
RAW Paste Data